“Absolutely amazing!”

African Shark Eco-Charters
Ranked #3 of 25 Tours in Simon's Town
More attraction details
Owner description: Join shark expert and naturalist Rob Lawrence for a personalize true shark experience.Certified "Fair Trade in Tourism", we offer eco-friendly shark cage diving and great white breaching trips in Simon's Town.Small groups only Scuba Diving offered with no dive experience needed. A truly amazing experience.
Reviewed 25 April 2018 via mobile

Fantastic trip with Rob and his unbelievable crew, 6.30 am start at Simon's town dock in the dark for a full briefing and run down of what lay ahead.
15 minutes later we were powering across the bay into the most awe inspiring sunrise we've ever seen towards seal island.
After dropping anchor and setting the cage up we were visited by some 7 Gill broad nose sharks, the view from inside the cage was unbelievable, the biggest of the sharks proceeded to give me a close encounter by pushing it's nose right against the bars whilst chomping it's breakfast!
A bit early in the season for Whites and I knew that when I booked so no complaints.
Brilliant cage set up, you have scuba tanks fixed on deck so you can breathe underwater for as long as you like, none of this "duck down now" nonsense with a snorkel that other companies do.
All gear provided, no training necessary.
The Crew, what can I say! Everybody is so professional, friendly and passionate about everything they do, particularly the ecological side of the job, preservation of sharks, the ocean and everything in and around it, absolutely faultless.
Heading back in we were visited by an arctic skua that had apparently adopted the boat! The bird followed the boat and took food from the crew's hand mid flight, my sister in law had a go and was delighted.
To sum it up, four and a half hour trip, jaw dropping scenery, seals porpoising all around, close cage encounter with big sharks, hand fed a flying bird, food, drinks and all equipment provided and an amazing team of guys to guide you through the day for slightly over £100! Don't even think about it, book now!
A huge thanks to all the guys on board, I did get your names but was so excited I forgot them all!
Hoping to come back later in the year to see the big fellas and wouldn't dream of using any other company.

All reviews
in 136 reviews
"gansbaai"
in 25 reviews

Reviewed 11 April 2018

We had a great time on our morning shark dive. Even though we didn't see a white shark, we saw large sevengill sharks, a Bryde's whale, and lots of seals and penguins. It was a fantastic time and the crew does their absolute best to attract the sharks. I would definitely recommend ASEC and will dive with them again when we make it back to South Africa!

1  Thank Maddie G
Reviewed 3 April 2018 via mobile

We had an absolutely wonderful day and were fortunate enough to see very big Sting Ray and a medium size Great White. Staff were fantastic and work very hard to try to find the wild sharks, good selection of food and drinks throughout the day. Just 2 points of advice:-

1) Seeing a single great white for a few seconds is a good outcome. Unfortunately it is a first come first so don’t be British and risk missing out. We made this mistake but got lucky.
2) If you are paying for transport from Cape Town then perhaps ask for details about proximity of other guests as on our trip we spent a lot of time picking up and dropping off other guests and with hindsight I would have probably have arranged my own direct transport. Mini bus not great if you are taller than 5ft 10.

AIRJAWS, Owner at African Shark Eco-Charters, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2018

Thank you for your reply. I am glad you had a good trip here with us at ASEC.

Reviewed 12 December 2017

When I traveled to South Africa, several companies were having trouble spotting sharks. The staff at African Shark Eco-Charters worked very hard to change my trip to a better location with greater shark-viewing potential. I emailed the staff back and forth for almost a week trying to work everything out and they always responded quickly and with friendly/helpful advice. I greatly appreciated everything they did for me because my group ended up seeing sharks! Their strive to satisfy customers is beyond comparison! Definitely recommend using this company :)

2  Thank OHanni
AIRJAWS, General Manager at African Shark Eco-Charters, responded to this reviewResponded 14 December 2017

Thank you for your review, much appreciated! We do strive to offer an honest, reliable and service driven experience and if we personally, are not able to make the experience a reality for you, we will bend over backwards to still make it happen so as to give our guests this wonderful opportunity, so as to change the negative perspective so many people have of Great White Sharks!
Thank you again, and hopefully next time, you will be able to join us in Simons Town!

See more reviews
Reviewed 14 September 2017

Swimming with Sharks in South Africa has been the number one on my bucket list since as long as I can remember. I originally had booked a trip to go out to see the predatory breaching and dive with African Shark Eco-Tours, but when we arrived in Cape Town I received an email from the company letting me know that due to recent Orca attacks and bad weather, they had seen very little, if any, activity. I called and asked what they recommended we do and they suggested that we rebook a trip to Gansbaai with another company where they were having an 80-85% success rate in seeing sharks. I think it says a lot about a company who is willing to rebook you with another company (at no penalty!) in order to make sure you have the best shark experience while in South Africa! We ended up having a great time and saw three sharks. Thank you African Shark Eco-Charters for being a company that truly cares about your customers' experiences!

6  Thank Rebecca S