“Grandson's dream”

African Shark Eco-Charters
Ranked #3 of 24 Tours in Simon's Town
More attraction details
Owner description: Join shark expert and naturalist Rob Lawrence for a personalize true shark experience.Certified "Fair Trade in Tourism", we offer eco-friendly shark cage diving and great white breaching trips in Simon's Town.Small groups only Scuba Diving offered with no dive experience needed. A truly amazing experience.
Reviewed 13 September 2017

We took our 14-year old grandson to Cape Town to dive with the Sharks. He has been a "shark-guy" since he was a toddler. We scheduled our shark dive for our last day in Cape Town--poor planning. Our original dive at a bay east along the coast from Cape Town was canceled the evening before our scheduled dive day. We has limited Internet access so we had difficulty locating an alternative shark dive vendor. Our daughter, 10000 miles away in Seattle, devastated that our grandson's life-long ambition might be crushed, took up the search for a dive on the only day available to us--tomorrow. Luckily, she found African Shark Eco-Charters and Nadine, their front-desk/ticketing wizard. Nadine called us on our cell at about 8:00 or 9:00 PM local (Cape Town) time to tell us that they had found a place for us on their dive leaving in the morning! (Why was Nadine not at home sipping a mellow merlot? I don't know, that's the kind of outfit African Shark Eco-Charters is.) So, we booked with Nadine that night and our grandson's shark dive was saved.

So, how was the dive? Fantastic! If we had known of African Shark Eco-Charters we would have booked with them in the first place. The crew on the boat was very professional and Leigh, on-board Marine Biologist, made the outing stimulating for even us old fogies who weren't going into a dive cage. Our grandson? He loved it! When we return to Cape Town, African Shark Eco-Charters will be our first choice.

1  Thank stephenstoneiii

Reviewed 5 August 2017

Hello. I went for a shark dive with this company. Well organized, on this side, nothing to say. Unfortunately no sharks that day. But a hundred dolphins, three whales and seals. On the other hand, I am very sorry that the staf does not give more information for a smoker on the boat. I saw an American with a big Rolex throwing at least 10 cigarettes in the water. And that in front of the staf people. It is impossible that no one has seen anything. They did not dare tell this person not to throw the cigarette in the ocean (unfortunately I do not speak English but French). I am very disappointed with this attitude especially for a center called ECO !!!!!
So, for that reason alone, I advise you to go see elsewhere.

3  Thank Rolf W
AIRJAWS, Owner at African Shark Eco-Charters, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2017

Thank you very much for bring this to my attention. This is not acceptable and I will be having a meeting to discuss your review. Smoking is not allowed on the boat and throwing in the ocean is not good. I assure you it wont happen again.

Reviewed 22 July 2017

This was the last experience of a memorable trip to Africa. Our first encounter was to check in and pay. The woman at the counter had a great sense of humor about us signing the waiver about losing limbs or life. You are asked to check in early enough so you don't miss the boat, but they give you a coupon for a place nearby (within sight) for coffee. We had that and time to shop before our departure. Plan for an entire morning or afternoon and bring a good camera.

The "host" of our tour also had a great welcoming attitude. I was a little hesitant on our way out on the boat, as the crew seemed preoccupied, but they were. They opened up during our trip and all was great. There is a cooler of drinks and snacks, help-yourself style, which came in handy for some inevitable sea sickness.

There is not an abundance of prep talk, which is fine. You can ask anything you want. We were there during winter, so the sharks were plentiful. It was exciting to be able to see them so close. The crew is good about sharing information and genuinely seem to enjoy what they do. One of them was good about telling us to suck on "sweeties" which would help with the motion sickness. "Sweeties" or candy was included in the cooler and really did offer some relief.

There is ample time to view the sharks, either from the cage or from the boat. They bring you by Seal Island and we were treated to a bonus whale sight, which was an awesome way to end the tour.

Boats from other, similar tours seem to work together rather than competitively, and assure your trip is what you want it to be. Great experience.

Thank you for your lovely review. We appreciate every response.

Reviewed 11 July 2017

I was lucky to have a wonderful day, clear water and got to see many sharks. The team was very professional and kind. I really wanted to see big great whites and these were smaller ones, but you never know if you'll even see any. And Im lucky I even got the chance to see a few. And the crew was awesome, they had a bunch of snacks for us and the service really good. It was cold (July) but the suits did their job and I guess I was so excited i didn't even feel it

1  Thank Dominique B

Thank you for your review. We really appreciate your feedback.

Reviewed 9 July 2017 via mobile

I went on a shark dive trip on July 5, 2017. The crew was professional, personable, and knowledgeable. I got to go in the cage a few times. And eventually got some great views/shots of a Great White. It was an unforgettable experience that I hope to do again some day. They really want everyone to see a shark and did a great job of making that happen. Thank you!!!

2  Thank Christa R

Thank you for your review. We really appreciate it.