“Great Trip even without sharks”

African Shark Eco-Charters
Ranked #3 of 24 Tours in Simon's Town
More attraction details
Owner description: Join shark expert and naturalist Rob Lawrence for a personalize true shark experience.Certified "Fair Trade in Tourism", we offer eco-friendly shark cage diving and great white breaching trips in Simon's Town.Small groups only Scuba Diving offered with no dive experience needed. A truly amazing experience.
Reviewed 22 June 2017

A very professional outfit, well organised and friendly. I was told prior to booking that the numbers of shark sightings were greatly reduced at the moment so they were very open about my chances of seeing sharks. The weather while I was in Cape town was not great so I took my chances when the wind dropped and went out. Although we did not see sharks we saw a whale, loads of seals, giant Petrels so a good day out on the boat anyway. The crew where very friendly and the whole thing was relaxed but professionally run. I would definitely go out with them again when back in S Africa. Lucky I got to see Great Whites the next day in Gansbaai which was amazing!!

AIRJAWS, Owner at African Shark Eco-Charters, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2017

Thank you for your review. I am glad you had a good trip despite no sharks.
Its been a very difficult season so far and each day has been different. Some good ,some very poor. I am thrilled you got to see sharks the next day.

Reviewed 8 June 2017

It was a great experience, the staff is very kind and knowledgeable and they make every possible effort to attract the sharks to the boat. as these are wild animals, there is no certainty that they will come out and i got to see a couple of them and one while I was in the cage and although it did not want to stick around for too long but, I got to see it under water (I'm a gopro novice and couldn't get a good shot of it as I was pointing too high up and nervous as well). Also got to see dolphins and a whale. They had advised me way ahead of the uncharacteristically low shark sightings this year and seems to be the case in the region of Gansbaai as well and again, it's impossible to predict the behavior of these wild animals. I'd recommend Eco-Charters to anybody and I'd advise you to have two dates in mind in case your original trip gets cancelled as the weather also plays a big factor.

Thank you for your review and I am glad you had a good trip and a good time with ASEC.

Reviewed 7 June 2017

We booked our trip months in advance. Communication was excellent. Everyone should be aware nothing is guaranteed, wild animals and weather cannot be predicted. We scheduled our trip for the day after our arrival in CapeTown that way should we see nothing or boats were not going out due to weather, etc we could hopefully re-book while still there on vacation. And that's exactly what happened. The crew/employees were all very helpful, knowledgeable and very pleasant to work with. We were able to rebook & although the activity level was not what we hoped by the cage we witnessed the awesome nature of great whites. We saw them hunt & chase the seals at seal island. We were also lucky enough to see pods of dolphins, 3 humpback whales in addition to the approx. 5 great whites and thousand of seals. Cannot say enough about the crew, they love what the do and it shows. Special shout out to Rob & Leigh - it was great to meet you both! Definitely would like to make it back sometime.

Thank you for your lovely review. I am thrilled you had a great trip with us.

Reviewed 6 June 2017 via mobile

Diving with the sharks being big on the bucket list and coming all the way from Australia was really looking forward to diving with the sharks. However was contacted by eco-charters advising that the tour was to be canceled due to adverse weather the previous night. Whilst that is completely understandable they were wrong. The weather was sunny and the breeze hasn't topped 10knots. We hired a car and made our way to Simmons town anyway as part of the day trip along the peninsula. To make things worse eco-charters competitor who leaves from the same jetty was arriving back. I spoke to the crew who advised it was a very pleasant day out. Like I said I understand that if the weather doesn't permit you can't go out but due to eco-tours being wrong it has meant that we've missed out on what should have been a memorable day out

AIRJAWS, Owner at African Shark Eco-Charters, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2017

Thanks for your review. I can understand your disappointment.
Our weatherman got the weather forecast very wrong. The forecast we used when we cancelled our trip said the weather was going to be very bad and was expected to come in at 10am.
It was based on the forecast given to us the day before that we cancelled. We were also not the only company that cancelled. So did another operator! Just one operator went out that day!
We work with what we are given.
Its a pity that you did not email us directly!

Reviewed 17 March 2017 via mobile

I was in Cape Town for 4 days and had booked to dive with African Shark Eco Charters several months in advance. The first day I was told the trip was cancelled due to high winds. The second day I was told was cancelled due to high winds and then the third day I was told was cancelled because they hadn't seen sharks in several weeks. If I'd have known that the sharks had been absent on day 1 then it would have made it easier to rebook with a company in Gansbaai (where the sharks were present). Overall the communication was poor. Several emails weren't responded to and it would just be better to know as soon as possible if we would be better in another location (such as Gansbaai). Just to clarify, I don't blame the company for there being no sharks and high winds, just wish they had been a bit more clear about the situation from the start. In the end I did manage to see sharks in Gansbaai but this was very last minute and made things difficult for us.

2  Thank UK-Yorkshire
AIRJAWS, Owner at African Shark Eco-Charters, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2017

Thank you for your email.
We are experiencing high winds and lack of sharks of late and cancelling and moving a lot of trips.
I am sorry for the lack of communication to get you into Gansbaai straight away. We will look into this and make sure it doesn't happen for further guests. Please accept our apologies.