“Cage diving”

African Shark Eco-Charters
Ranked #3 of 25 Tours in Simon's Town
More attraction details
Owner description: Join shark expert and naturalist Rob Lawrence for a personalize true shark experience.Certified "Fair Trade in Tourism", we offer eco-friendly shark cage diving and great white breaching trips in Simon's Town.Small groups only Scuba Diving offered with no dive experience needed. A truly amazing experience.
Reviewed 3 August 2016 via mobile

As a leisure diver, getting to see Great White is definitely on my to-see list! I'm glad we had chosen ASEC for our cage diving in Capetown! Engaging in such high risk activities, u will definitely require an operator who ensure safety comes first for their crew & passengers.

Like many who had shared earlier, shark sighting are very luck driven. But we were lucky enough to spot shark breaching near Seal Island on top of our cage diving activities.

We had a wonderful time underwater esp when the Sharks got near to the boat. Regardless of both dry (people who opt not to go down gets to view on the boat deck) or wet experience with the sharks, I'm sure your heart will miss a beat or two when it approaches the boat / metal cage.

Awesome crew & thanks for making my South Africa trip such a memorable one! I'll be back 1 day to do my next cage diving with you again.

**Note : it will be great if hot beverage can be served after the dive. =)

AIRJAWS, Owner at African Shark Eco-Charters, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2016

Thank you for your review and I am so glad you had a great trip.

All reviews
in 8 reviews
"an amazing experience"
"small group"

Reviewed 3 August 2016

I spent two days with ASEC crew and I don't regret any minute of it. On the contrary- I regret that it was only two days. I will definitely return.

Thanks for your review. I am glad you came out for more than one trip and we certainly look forward to having you join us again.

Reviewed 1 August 2016

Good thing about ASEC is that it is in Simon's town which is a 45 minutes drive from Cape Town, most other companies are further out from town. The crew were fantastic took us right to the sharks and we were lucky enough to have 2 dives, they also provided light snacks and refreshments. It's awesome to see these great creatures from so close.

AIRJAWS, Owner at African Shark Eco-Charters, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2016

Thank you for your review. I am so glad you had a good trip and even managed 2 dives. Fabulous.

Reviewed 31 July 2016

We've now done about 15 shark trips from Simon's Town over 3 trips to South Africa, most of those trips with ASEC. All of the companies there are good, but we prefer to use ASEC for some finer points of operations and pricing that I won't get into here.

It's important to understand that it is not a zoo or amusement park, the company/crew does not control the sharks, but they really do try their best. Sometimes you see a lot of sharks around the boat and witness some great full breaches, sometimes you have little or no luck, and sometimes you get canceled due to weather. We've had some unbelievably good days and some real bummers. For that reason, it is advisable to book multiple days of trips to increase your chances. It is not fair to get upset at the company or crew if nature doesn't cooperate or give you a great show, as some reviewers have. Also note that they're often very full, and if you book one trip but get canceled due to weather, you might not be able to get another booking.

The crew are friendly and have a great sense of humour. I was impressed that the captain remembered us after 2 years away, including what I do for a living and one of the jokes that we had shared while on board years ago.

We didn't see any sharks at all on one day, so ASEC gave us a voucher for a free trip, which is much appreciated. As other reviewers pointed out, the voucher was stated to be good for 1 year, but they honoured it when we returned after 2 years, with no problem at all. I think they understand that foreign visitors do not come to South Africa every year. The only catch was that we had to pay for the difference in trip price between that year and this year, which wasn't much.

ASEC is a solid choice for company to go out with. Be reasonable with your plans and expectations, be fair to the crew and office staff, and see what nature offers you for your trip (or better yet, trips)!

2  Thank JeffCad
AIRJAWS, Owner at African Shark Eco-Charters, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2016

We loved having you join us. Repeat guests are a very good indication of service levels and we appreciate your very thorough review. So glad you also got some great photographs.

See more reviews
Reviewed 28 July 2016

I went out with ASEC for a shark cage diving experience, one of my life bucket list items and WOW what an experience. Early departure from Simons Town harbour, we were met by very friendly crew that explained everything in detail to us. A nice 30 min sunrise trip out to seal island was enjoyed. Once we got there the crew explained in great detail what to look for and various other facts on the area and shark predation, etc.

Then it happened ......BOOM......a full breach! Words cannot explain how special that is.

Time for the cage to go in and for us to get ready and into our wetsuits. The first shark circled the cage and we were in. Once again another WOW moment, to see that beautiful Great White Shark up close and personal was an experience of a life time.

I would like to thank Rob and the ASEC crew for a truly World Class experience, I will definitely be back very soon for another trip.

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You........You guys are the best!

1  Thank Rob E

We are so thrilled you had a great time with us here at ASEC, and had some good sharks and saw a great breach too.