“Honest Company with No Recent Sightings”

African Shark Eco-Charters
Ranked #3 of 22 Tours in Simon's Town
More attraction details
Owner description: Join shark expert and naturalist Rob Lawrence for a personalize true shark experience.Certified "Fair Trade in Tourism", we offer eco-friendly shark cage diving and great white breaching trips in Simon's Town.Small groups only Scuba Diving offered with no dive experience needed. A truly amazing experience.
Reviewed 14 May 2016

We were unable to go on our shark adventure because unfortunately there have been no recent sightings. When we checked-in the day before as required we were informed of this and given the option to go to a different area. Unfortunately this was too far and we were unable to reschedule. Obtaining a refund for the deposit made as we had five people was amazing easy. I really appreciate the honestly from ASEC as they could have just as easily taken us on a trip without a sighting just as easily.

2  Thank Eric L
AIRJAWS, Owner at African Shark Eco-Charters, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2016

Thank you for your review. We would have loved to have had you join us and sorry it was not possible. Hope the rest of your holiday was fabulous.

Reviewed 25 April 2016

I didn't in fact end up on African Shark Eco-Charters due to the fact that they were having a lack of sightings while I was in town. I did however book with them and when I called to confirm my schedule (as required) they kindly mentioned they weren't having many sightings in False Bay and re-booked me with one of their partner companies. I felt it was amazing customer service that they didn't allow me to waste my money and not see anything knowing they weren't having sightings. So I give them props for that. Thank you!

4  Thank Andrew S
AIRJAWS, Owner at African Shark Eco-Charters, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2016

Thank you for your review. Much appreciated. Great service is what we strive for and I am so glad you were helped with your booking.

Reviewed 19 April 2016

Nadine at African Shark was extremely helpful and ensured we got an amazing shark dive experience, I would recommend African Shark to all due to their environmental ethics and personal approach to diving!

2  Thank D42BZthomasd
AIRJAWS, Owner at African Shark Eco-Charters, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2016

Thank you for your kind review and so glad Nadine was able to assist you.

Reviewed 17 April 2016

After hours of research I came to a conclusion to shark cage dive in Simon's Town (on a day trip from Capetown) as opposed to Gaansbai. I read Gaansbai has more chances of seeing more sharks and has several operators in case one cancels. It is also an amazing place to get some awesome pics! However, operators in Simon's Town have licenses to provide scuba regulators which allow you to breathe under water. Gaansbai operators simply give you snorkel equipment so you have to hold your breath when the sharks come. We went during the low shark season (end march/beginning April) and hence we were warned not to expect lots of sightings, however, compared to the other operators out there who saw nothing, we did get some shark activity. We were a small group of 5 guests on the boat (with only 4 of us getting in the water) so we truly were given special treatment. We also had all the time in the cage as we chose since it was a 4-person cage (Gaansbai operators have upto 8 and you have to take turns).
We had to be there before sunrise and there was free parking just a short walk away. The instructions given to us beforehand were fantastic! The crew welcomed us on the boat without delay. On the way out to the island, we saw the most beautiful liquid gold sunrise over the water and to top it off, dolphins surrounded our boat showing off their skills and made the sunrise seem absolutely magical!! Whilst we were waiting for sharks, again a pod of about 50 dolphins swam past the boat. I've never seen anything like it!! If we didn't see any sharks, it would still have been worth it just for that view.
The waters can get quite rough so we had taken anti-sickness pills as recommended by ASEC. Make sure you take warm clothes as well because the ride gets windy (especially if you want to sit on the top-deck like I did) and once you get out of the water, you will need them!
There were delicious free snacks and soft drinks for us to have whilst onboard and the crew were fantastic and very knowledgable! The water was very cold but the warmth of the crew kept us going. We docked near Seal Island so you can see hundreds of seals and the odd little penguin from quite close. Be warned of the smell though- it is quite ripe! On the way back to the pier, we saw a beautiful rainbow which ended the trip magically! The free coffee in a cafe at the pier after the trip was a pleasant surprise.
I would recommend this company to anyone considering shark cage diving in Simon's Town. The choice between Gaansbai and Simon's Town is a personal one, both with pros and cons but should you choose ASEC and the sightings may be low on the week you are there, they do offer to book you onto a carrier in Gaansbai as an alternative. The journey there is not ideal but atleast you can make the choice closer to the time. Just don't miss out on seeing these beautiful majestic creatures in the wild! Thank you ASEC and hope to see you again in high season!!

3  Thank ratnahirani
AIRJAWS, Owner at African Shark Eco-Charters, responded to this reviewResponded 19 April 2016

Thank you for your review. It was a pleasure to have you aboard and glad you had a great with ASEC and the sharks.

Reviewed 4 April 2016 via mobile

This was my second trip out to seal island in 2 years with the crew of Asec and what a trip it was. I brought my 79 year old mother along this time as she wanted to do something amazing in her 80th year!! We had a great time with the very helpful and knowledgable crew who helped mum get into her diving gear and we assisted her into the cage for a 20 min encounter with these amazing creatures. We had 2 or 3 sharks around the cage all morning and they put on a great show for the whole party. I will be back next year for sure and so will mum if she is fit enough.
Thanks again everyone for a great day!!
Patti Jackson ... 79 years young!!

2  Thank Richard J
AIRJAWS, Owner at African Shark Eco-Charters, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2016

Thank you for joining us again. The crew were thrilled to have your mom aboard and even more so that she dived with the great whites.