18,001 results
All reviews american grill avenue bar gabi restaurant golf cart la gondola tropical lobby vip lounge gabi pool caribe tropical level section time share steak and lobster dominican restaurant kids club breakfast and lunch dominican republic dinner reservations
Reviewed 2 May 2018

We just wanted to give a special shout out to our butler Victor. He was hard working, thoughtful, and attentive. He went well beyond his call of duty to ensure that my wife and I were comfortable and happy.

The hotel was also gorgeous; the food and beverages excellent; and the rooms were quite comfortable.

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Scott W
MeliaCT, Community Manager at Melia Caribe Tropical All Inclusive Beach & Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2018

Dear Scott,

I would like to thank you for your review and for dedicating some of your time to share your feedback with the whole TripAdvisor community.

Please, accept my sincere appreciation for your acknowledgement of the professional service provided by Victor. I agree completely with you, Víctor is truly a gem and I will gladly pass on your compliments to him. He will be thrilled!

Thanks a lot for your kind words regarding our hotel in general, accomodations, food and beverages. Hopefully, we will have the opportunity to welcome you back at the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 1 May 2018 via mobile

My husband and I, along with 3 other couples stayed at the Melia Caribe Tropical from April 14-21st. Upon arriving we were in awe of the beautiful grounds. It really is stunning and they do a great job maintaining it. Things went down hill however when we tried to check in. Because we were four couples we wanted to be somewhat close to each other in terms of our rooms. They said they would be able to accommodate us when we came back at 3 but when we did they weren’t able or willing to do anything. The guy at the desk told me to “take my key and go”. We we get to our rooms and they were beautiful. I get in the shower and there was a ball of hair stuck to the wall of the shower. No biggie. I got rid of it. Then I noticed my room reaked of vomit. I mean a lot! I finally found two huge piles of vomit on the floor of my room. I clean it up myself but it still smells and I want my room disinfected and I worry at this point that perhaps my room wasn’t cleaned st all. I call to get someone to come disinfect thenfloor and switch my sheets just to be sure they are clean and no one even apologizes for the vomit in my room! They just said “what do you want me to do?” Meanwhile another couple we travelled with had a broken air conditioner and they called 5 times for someone to come fix it and they said they couldn’t because there was “a wedding”! After threatening to come down to the lobby and complain in person someone eventually came to fix it at midnight. Another couple we were with were given two single beds and a safe that didn’t work! We get past the room issues and go to dinner on that first night and they sit us at two tables of four close to each other instead of a table of 8. No biggie but they refused to allow us to pull our tables together for some reason? The boys sat at one table while the girl sat at the other. The boys were waited on and served before the girls even got drinks let alone have their order taken!! The boys ended up being done close to an hour before the ladies.
The next day Jean Carlos was super apologetic And offered us all rooms closer to the beach in the leveled section. It was way closer to the buffet and the pool and beach. Because it is such a huge resort you don’t want to be anywhere but down by the beach otherwise you will always have to either get on the train or walk a long distance to get anywhere. That was frantasic to be in those rooms but the service in the tropical section without the leveled bracelets sucked. We couldn’t even get water or coffee for breakfast. And the food at the buffet isn’t covered like it is on the levelled side (which we found out later in the week) and therefore always covered in flies! On our third night we were going to the French restaurant and the hostess was awful! She hated how many of us there were and kept seating everyone else but us. Finally after over an hours wait she comes out and says she has two tables of 4. We are starving at this point and say that’s fine but when we go in we notice most of the restaurant is empty and there were at least 3 different tables that were big enough to accommodate the 8 of us. She purposely cleaned off two smaller tables instead of just cleaning off one that would fit us all! When we asked for one of those tables she gets mad at us and tells us to go back out and wait then. So we complain to the bartender when he asks what the problem was the manager comes over and takes us in the dining room realizes the hostess did in fact fail to accommodate us in the first place and tells us to take a seat. This is all now 30 mins before the restaurant even closes we were waiting that long. The server we had was super apologetic and helpful and we really appreciated it.
We told Jean Carlos what happened and he again was super helpful and offered us a meal at a leveled restaurant for the following night. The meal at this restaurant was lovely and the service was amazing! We realized we wanted to stay leveled and asked Jean Carlos if he could make it happen and change our bracelets and he totally did. The rest of our vacation was wonderful. The service, pools and food on the level side was great!
We ate at the Japanese restaurant one night and that was all of our favourite meals!!!
I wouldn’t go back to this resort unless we we leveled and even then I’d have to consider it because of the size of it. It’s just so big and waiting for a train or cart can be a pain.
The resort has a lot of positive attibutes but on the non leveled side there seems to be a lot more negatives.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled with friends
5  Thank ashleyagillis

Dear Ashley,

Please recibe our warmest greetings from Melia Caribe Tropical as well as our gratitude for having selected our hotel to enjoy your friends’ holidays in the Caribbean.

As a service oriented company, our passion is going over our guests’ expectations to provide unforgettable experiences of every moment of the stay; therefore, we lament to learn for your valuable comments that we were not able to accomplish our goal of total satisfaction.

In our Reception, we are commited to provide an efficiently registration process as well as do their best to accommodate our guests requests as long as there is possibility; therefore, we truly lament to learn that this was not your perception. Please receibe our sincerest apologies for not being able to meet your expectations.

Our Maintenance and housekeeping team constantly revise our rooms, to ensure that our guests enjoy a quiet, clean and relaxing environment where they can have a pleasant vacation experience; nevertheless, we do understand there is always room for improvement. After having shared your comments with our departments involved, we would like to extend our sincerest apologies, since this is not the kind of experience that characterizes us.

We appreciate your comments regarding our gastronomy which will be shared with our Food and Beverage director in order to investigate and subsequently apply the possible actions.

Once more we appreciate your comments as well as we appreciate to learn that our Mr. Juan Carlos took inmediate actions to ensure the quality of your experience with us. Please consider this as your home away from home and the place we will be delighted to have you back soon.

Reviewed 1 May 2018

Overall great resort with friendly staff. The room was clean and spacious. the food was pretty good I didn't do hungry.
Only problem was the loud construction sometimes early in the morning and late at night. There also should be more carts to bring you to the lobby since the resort is so spaced out.

Room Tip: Buildings 8 and 9 are nice spot
  • Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Meliá Hotels International
MeliaCT, Community Manager at Melia Caribe Tropical All Inclusive Beach & Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2018

Dear Thomas,

Thanks a lot for your review. We appreciate the time you invested in writing down and sharing your feedback with the TripAdvisor community.

We are extremely pleased to know you enjoyed your time with us and we were able to offer you the outstanding service you deserve. We certainly appreciate all your kind words.

Nevertheless, I would like to apologize for any inconvenience you’ve encountered with the disturbance from the construction site. I am sorry, as well, to hear of the mishaps with the availability of our carts. Rest assured, I will share your remarks with the departments involved in order to prevent, if possible, similar situations in the future.

Thanks for choosing us. Hopefully, we will be welcoming you back again in the near future.

Reviewed 1 May 2018

Went on a five day girls trip in April, weather was perfect, two brief rain showers. Rooms and lobby layout was almost identical to the one other all inclusive I attended in Mexico two years ago. Very clean rooms, air conditioned, beds were very comfortable. Wish there was a towel bar or clothes line in bathroom to dry items on. Wifi was available practically EVERYWHERE on the property, weak signal along central garden/main walkway but great everywhere else including beach! Our building was near tropical lobby. It was a half mile from the beach. Be sure you have comfy shoes! There are trolley trains you can catch but they aren’t always there when you need one. The gold carts seemed to run from lobby to beach, they don’t offer to pick you up if walking but some would stop if you waved them down. Restaurants provided delicious food (service was very slow and it took forever to get more than one drink). Beach buffet had a nice variety (layout seemed a bit disorganized) and waitstaff was pleasant there (they gave us mamajuana shots and did a little song about it). Beach bar and lobby bar provided great service & drinks. At night lobby bar made our groups shots without being asked (we were thrilled). Solicitors/vendors trying to sell excursions/massage/hair braids were annoying, constantly asking us on the beach. Check in and checkout were very slow. The staff appeared confused and were pretty slow compared to checking in to American hotels. Be sure to bring enough cash, they charge quite a fee to use ATM, some friends ran out of singles for tipping. Be sure to barter for better pricing if you shop at the JCPeny gift shop on the beach. Same souvenirs are sold in all the gift shops for the most part. Children did not bother us at all, satisfactory experience without upgrading to the level. There was jackhammering near the pool as a building was being remodeled. Beach was fine, there seemed to be a lot of helicopter traffic flying by the beach the first part of the week, maybe we got used to it after that? Enjoyed our trip and would recommend.

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank NewEnglandGalx6

Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for your kind and detailed review and for dedicating some of your precious time to share your experience at Meliá Caribe Tropical with other travelers.

We are delighted to hear of the amazing time you had while staying at our hotel. Thanks a lot for your appreciation of our facilities, restaurants, bars and accomodations. However, I would like to apologize for the inconveniences you encountered at the beach with some vendors, during your check in, and with noise from the remodeled building. Rest assured, I will discuss your remarks with the departments involved in order to improve all our services and prevent similar situations in the future.

Thanks a lot for your recommendation of our hotel. We look forward to welcome you back, hopefully, in the near future.

Reviewed 30 April 2018

Rates were very reasonable and the resort was great. Beach was very clean, staff was great. Rooms were very clean. Restaurants were great! Check in took a little while but staff walked around offering drinks. They were very accommodating.

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thanks a lot for your kind and honest review. We appreciate the time you invested in writing down and sharing your experience with the TripAdvisor community.

Our purpose is always to offer you a memorable experience and it is a great pleasure to hear of the amazing time you had while staying at our hotel.

I would like to thank you for all your kind words and appreciation of our hotel, facilities and staff. Hopefully, we will be welcoming you back in the near future.