Open today: 7:00 AM - 6:00 AM
Review Highlights
Amazing bike trail

amazing bike ride, beautiful places in nature and without cars. Perfect organization and new... read more

Reviewed 13 February 2021
franco emilio r
Genoa, Italy
via mobile
had a LOVELY afternoon with Lava Bikes Guide-highly recommended!

Unfortunately I was not able to fit a bike tour into my recent trip to Rwanda but I DID get to... read more

Reviewed 22 January 2021
Leah G
Jerusalem, Israel

All reviews congo nile trail twin lakes recent trip lake kivu paved road day tour own pace a lot of fun amazing experience great ride cycling helmets musanze activity landscape francis route
Selected filters
Reviewed 22 March 2020

Highly recommend! Yannick dropped off the MTB to the Guesthouse I was staying at in Kibogora and picked it up from the lodge in Gisenyi. He was on time and I was happy with the price/quality of the bike. The Congo Nile Trail is absolutely beautiful but tough (hardly any flat sections).
Day 1: Start at Kibogora Hospital Guesthouse - Lunch at l'Esperance Guesthouse in Mugonero - Arrived at Home St. Jean in Kibuye (70km 99% on paved road)
Day 2: Kibuye - Lunch in Musasa Village (Jimmy Samson was closed so small lunch in a boutique) - Arrived at Kinunu Guesthouse (58km with paved road until 6,5km after Gisaze Village, then all off-road and single tracks)
Day 3: Kinunu - Lunch/Arrival at Inzu Lodge in Gisenyi, although Centre d'Accueil François-Xavier is cheaper (42km 95% off-road).
NOTE: with a guide it should be possible to go more off-road/single tracks

Date of experience: March 2020
Reviewed 21 March 2020

We did a tour from Musanze past Lake Kivu to the south seeing parts of the country you'll never experience in other ways. Saw many villages, beautiful views, challenging paths, and lots of people everywhere, and they saw us: weirdly clothed muddy Europeans. Sometimes they take the challenge and you find yourself in a uphill battle trying to beat a strong local on a heavy transport bike. Yannick and the drivers are great.

Date of experience: February 2020
Reviewed 13 March 2020

With a group of 10 people we did a 9-day tour with Yannick and the driver. We've been visiting Kigali, did a tailor-made 6 day bike tour, with some people hiking, and have been visiting Nyungwe NP. Yannick is very helpful and communicates well in French and English. Especially if you ask very specifically. Discuss in advance what to bring (and what not to bring) like first aid kit, pump + spare inner tubes + tools etc. The bikes were almost all in good condition, and if not, it was replaced/repaired (happed to one of us). The lodges and hostels we've visited with him were in general really good. And along the way we had a lot of fun and it was really relaxing, since almost all was arranged very well. If I would come back for a new cycling trip, I would go with Yannick again.

Date of experience: February 2020
Yannick N, General Manager at Lava Bike Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2020

Dear Hurlbert Thank for sharing your experience with us. Was great pleasure me and my Team to serve you .Asante Sana.

Reviewed 23 January 2020

I did half of the Congo Nile Trail from Gisenyi to Kibuye and it was just amazing! Marcel, one of the guides working for Yannik, did a great job. If you like to be active and if you want a real Rwandan experience, go for it. Furthermore, it was very simple to organise my tour as Yannik replied to emails immediately. I did the tour alone and it was so much fun as you meet a lot of other tourists in the different accomodations.

Date of experience: January 2020
Reviewed 10 January 2020

It was a great experience cycling with Lava Bike Tours. Yannick was very helpful and easy to communicate with. I was provided with a very good mountain bike, with all the necessary equipments ready on-the-go. My guide carried my backpacks in his two panniers -- that really helped for me to be fully-focused on the cycling. During the nights, I was well rested at their accommodation of choice. Thanks Lava Bike Tours for the great experience!

Date of experience: December 2019