“Stunning Location Badly Managed”
Review of Mar Bella

Mar Bella
Ranked #312 of 453 Restaurants in Nerja
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We arrived about 9pm for dinner and were shown to a stunning terrace way out the back.The terrace is not visible from the front of house and I thought wow what a hidden gem with a stunning view out to sea! There was a large Irish wedding party numbering over 100 in situ and looked to be just finishing their meal. We ordered a cocktail for my wife and wine for myself and we were regaled with songs by our fellow countrymen while awaiting our food. We both had onion soup costing €8.20 which was a bit steep especially as it was tasteless. I mentioned to the waiter about the quality of the soup to which he replied the chef does not add salt and pepper ,he leaves that up to you, Hmmm? We both ordered steak and while waiting I ordered a glass of red wine for my wife as she had finished her cocktail which she declared delicious! the steaks arrived, my meal was tepid but I decided it was fine & soldiered on but my wife sent hers back as the steak, potatoes, vegetables and even the sauce were cold. I asked the waiter about the glass of red wine! 10 minutes later my wife's steak arrived back & still no wine! as I had finished my meal ( the steak was excellent quality and well cooked but the fries were frozen junk). I had plenty of time to get the attention of a waiter who was named Molly from England and was great, she got things going and the wine finally arrived followed by the Manager who spoke through Molly as he couldn't speak English and presented us with a glass of Cava each on the house to apologise. The bill was €87.50 (plus a tip to Molly) which on another night might have been justified but not on tonight's experience.The cure would surely be a new management team and a few staff members more like Molly.
I will watch future reviews with interest to see if things improve.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,065)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

My sister and I went to the restaurant on the 8th of october 2018. We wanted to have a table overlooking the sea, no problem since the restaurant was almost empty. The starter we ordered was ok but the main couse was a disaster. we had ordered iberian pork wich came realy burned, asked the waiter to change it, he said it was supposed to be like this ( I think not ) . He than asked if we wanted somthing else, we desided to change it for duck, when it came it was stone cold and with about 1cm of uncooked fat on top. We paid for our drinks and left.

Reviewed 11 October 2018 via mobile

My partner and I popped in for a quick bite to eat at lunch time. We appreciate the reviews aren't great and we did question our decision, however the service was friendly and we had some aubergine fries which were surprisingly excellent.

We would say the place is a bit tired and run down, with some dubious odours but don't write off the food!

Reviewed 5 October 2018 via mobile

We visited on 3rd October having previously visited the restaurant around 5 years ago we remember the amazing views from the terrace. The terrace was virtually empty at dinner time with only about 2 other occupied tables which was a vast difference from our previous visited as the terrace had always been packed. The terrace was quite grubby and table clothes were filthy which instantly put me off. The menu had a few decent options but was VERY overpriced. After ordering our drinks the English waitress/host took out menus away as they were needed for another table. Whilst waiting for our order to be taken I took to tripadvisor to check out reviews to help me decide what to choose. After reading a few recent horror stories of food quality and terrible service we decided to leave and not eat here and waste our money, anyway we still hadn’t even had our orders taken! We asked for the bill 3 times before it was eventually given to us. We left and had an amazing Italian meal at La Fuente. Please everyone steer clear of this place, it may have been good years ago but it is a dive and extremely overpriced.

Reviewed 1 October 2018 via mobile

We’ve dinned here before out on the terrace it has fabulous views something you cannot see from the front which is on a Main Street.
Anyone we arrived just before 12.30 they start serving at noon, or waitress who was English looked after us well. After reading through the extensive menu and wine list we decided to have a bottle of the house red and a bottle of still water and we both choose the menu of the day. My wife started with the avocado and prawn salad, I asked for the onion soup which wasn’t ready so I had the mushroom soup, we both followed this with pork sirloin for mains, we didn’t have desserts but I had a coffee to follow.
I have included pictures of the fantastic view from our table and also the beach view below the terrace and finally photos of the food and drink we had.
We could not fault the location and the setting but unfortunately the food was not of a similar standard, the avocado and prawn salad as they do in Spain had fruit in it but the pineapple was old and nearly off a chef of any standing should have seen and smelt this, my soup was very good but only warm, and the single issue again with the mains was it was only warm, we assume that once cooked the dished were put on a rack to be collected by the waiter/waitresses who were either busy setting up and tending to other duties. Our waitress offered to have our meals heated up but by doing this you alter the flavours.
It is a shame I have to say this because it could have otherwise have been a fantastic occasion, hence the reason I have marked this down...