Review Highlights
Wonderful experience!

What an amazing experience this was!!! They were able to accommodate a last minute booking for us... read more

Reviewed 1 October 2023
Resort677399
Great company, great experience, nice people

I enjoyed every moment of our Sheep roundup tour! I think Elwira and Svenni and the team of guides... read more

Reviewed 20 September 2023
Paul J
Tilburg, The Netherlands

Recommended experiences in and around Selfoss
All reviews hour ride icelandic horses experienced riders staff were super friendly young daughter hekla volcano beautiful horses skill level family run beginners landscape horseback galloping lactose skills participants highlands
Selected filters
Reviewed 27 August 2022 via mobile

Nupshestar is very experienced in multiday tours. It is a family-run horsefarm. The owners join the tour, accompanied by many seasoned guides.
They are absolutely amazing on managing the logistics of these tours. Participants can really enjoy the riding and the delicious meals prepared.
We went with a free herd which makes the experience so unique: the free herd following front-riders and pushed by back-riders. I went to Landmannalaugar: amazing landscapes!
The group slowly formed a big family thanks to the incredible atmosphere created.
A lifetime experience. I’m so thankful to Nupshestar!

Date of experience: August 2022
Reviewed 3 August 2022

Elwira and Svenni made our dream, to ride on a horseback in Iceland, come true and even more!

The horses are fantastic, calm but really powerfull and absolutely beautiful and lovely, in and outside! You will be asked which kind you prefer, so there is the perfect horse for experienced riders which want speed, as for beginners, which want to start slowly. Elwira also is so kind and considers,if possible, your favorite horse when you fall in love, so you can ride it again :)

We've rode the completely NEW 6 days around Hekla Tour and the landscape was phenomenal and breathtaking, words can truly not describe what we saw. I will remember the diversity like the Highland mountains, lava fields and beautiful strong rivers for a lifetime. We've rode with free running horses and this is pure freedom and magic. Highly recommend this new tour!

The food, oh my god ,the food was always amazing and we really looked forward to it everyday :D You have always a choice of soo many different options, so you will always enjoy the food,which is all delicious. I am Lactose intolerant and Elwira was so amazing and kind to me. She always prepared separate food for me, so that I could really relax and have had a perfect meal too. She've never get tired to offer me my special Lactose free snacks for the Tours,it was so kind and they all taste perfect. So just let her know in advance if you have a special diet and she will really consider and make you happy.

The team in general is so lovely and nice,we had the best time with them and we will always remember our perfect funny party time with singing icelandic songs, all of this made it so special to us. You really want to be a member of the nupshestar team. Our Rider Team was the best and funniest team we've could imagine and trough the fantastic atmosphere we really became friends. Precious!

Long story short : If you' re thinking about goingt there,dont hesitate,do it!
You will not regret I promise you!

We will definitely come back!
It's already on our wishlist :)

Sending love to the nupshestar team

See you hopefully soon!

Greetings Ronja & Selina

Date of experience: July 2022
2  Thank ronja_diablo
Reviewed 22 July 2022 via mobile

If you love riding I cannot recommend this tour company enough. Family-owned and operated by Elwira & Sveinn (and their amazing crew), our ride around Hekla volcano was magical and unforgettable. Every detail was carefully planned out for the benefit of the guests. Part of a small international group of riders, I rode with my young daughter (we both have
Icelandics experience) and loved how each horse was perfectly matched to our skill level and preferences. Definitely challenging, lots of tölting and galloping through majestic lava landscapes and scenic grasslands. So much team building. The homemade meals just made the days that much more enjoyable. No matter the riding skill, they have a horse for you. We come to Iceland annually and can’t wait to do another tour - so that should tell you everything. Takk fyrir Núpshestar!

Date of experience: July 2022
1  Thank lauhaha
Reviewed 28 October 2020

This summer I was on a six days trip to Landmannalaugar with Núpshestar and had the time of my life!

I travelled in a mixed group with both experienced riders and total beginners. Everyone had a spectacular time - no matter their level of experience. The horses are amazing and many of them bred by the farmers themselves, so they know their horses so well! Every horse comes with a story - this especially makes the experience very personal and extremely authentic. The farmers carefully match the horses with the riders to ensure that everyone experiences the perfect level of challenge. We travelled with the farmers themselves, who tended to all our needs - from ensuring everyone was happy and comfortable on horse back, cooking wonderful meals every evening and creating a warm and embracing atmosphere at every cabin. Hostmanship on the highest level!

We rode from camp site to camp site for approx. 5-7 hours a day depending on the distances that needed to be covered. Most of the trip we rode with the herd of horses running free - guessing we were 10 riders with 25 horses. It was such an amazing experience, and so much fun and a great learning experience taking part in herding the horses. We also rode with “hand horses” - meaning being on horse back and holding two additional horses by your side.

Núpshestar’s horses are amazing! During the six days I tried nine different ones - all incredible, gentle and highly skilled creatures. All of them extremely well-trained in the famous Icelandic fourth gait: Tölt. I also experienced the fifth gait: Pace, which was absolutely incredible. Even as an experienced rider I learned so much from these horses - not to mention the farmers, who were great in giving advice and instructions on how I could improve my skills and connection to the individual horses.

The scenery on the trip was otherworldly. The beauty of Iceland simply cannot be put into words. We travelled through areas covered in blue lupin flowers, black sand deserts, wild rivers, mountain ridges with snow and the most incredible views. I’ve been to Iceland five times before this trip and have visited both the South, North, East and the highlands, but never have I experienced this magnificient country in such an amazing way as I did on horse back.

After returning to Denmark I’ve shared my experience with multiple Icelandic horse back riding enthusiasts similiar to myself. Some of which have been on similar horse back riding trips in Iceland with other, larger, competing companies - and been very dissapointed. Apparently a lot of the other companies don’t allow you to travel with the herd of horses, but just drive you by bus each day to the location where the horses are. I guess if you want the true and authentic Icelandic horse back riding adventure you go with Núpshestar! Here you truly get a taste of the real horse herding, cabin living, cowboy life close to nature.

My trip for next summer is already booked and I can’t wait!

Ps. Both pick up and drop up from Reykjavík was included and I didn’t even have to worry about taking pictures while on horse back - the farmers and their staff did that as well!

Date of experience: July 2020
Reviewed 15 September 2020

The best horse farm in Iceland. Our inquiry by email was answered immediately and very friendly. On the booked tour we were all alone and it was perfectly suited to us. Elvira was super friendly and explained everything to us. The horses are well trained. Everything is clean and tidy. We will come back next year and then for the 6-day tour.
Best riding experience in Iceland. We enjoyed it very much.

Date of experience: August 2020