“Outstanding food, so-so service, noisy atmosphere”

Blue Adobe Sante Fe Grille
Ranked #5 of 1,013 Restaurants in Mesa
Price range: US$10 - US$20
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Child-friendly, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: A hidden gem located blocks away from the Mesa Art Center and all downtown Mesa has to offer.
Reviewed 2 May 2018

Heard superlative comments from friends about this restaurant, so as soon as I got to visit the area, I had to give it a try. Came here for dinner on a Saturday night and was worried we would have a long wait, but was pleasantly surprised when we were seated immediately. Menu was definitely intriguing with many non-typical Mexican offerings, and I had a tough time deciding which yummy dish to order. I ordered the Corn Crab Cake Salad and my dinner mate had the Green Chile Corn Chowder. We agreed that both of our choices were outstanding. The crab cakes had the best thin crispy crumb crust with super tender and flavorful crab filling inside. The cilantro tartar sauce on top was a perfect accompaniment. Heavenly. My partner is a soup authority and lover. He was completely pleased with his chowder. It is a good thing we were so engrossed in our food because the restaurant was full and extremely noisy. It was difficult to hold a good conversation without having to speak very loud in order to hear each other.

We came back the next Monday for lunch and brought another family with us. This time the place was not crowded or near as noisy. Service however, was slower and less attentive. Our waitress disappeared completely for fairly long periods of time and seemed hurried and curt when at our table. The food was as wonderful as at our first visit. The lobster dip appetizer was a huge hit with crispy flour chips. "MMMM" was heard repeatedly with each bite. Adobo pork, shrimp tacos, and chimichangas were greatly enjoyed.

Though it may not have the best atmosphere or service, the food more than made up for any other shortcomings in our mind and I will come back here to eat again whenever I am in town.

Reviewed 30 April 2018

There are 3 Blue Adobe Restaurants in the Phoenix area. This one is our Favorite, believe it to be the original Blue Adobe. Looks like an Old School House converted for a Rest. Inside it is just pure Good Food, Tastes very authentic. Food always comes out Hot and ready to eat. Great service by all the Staff and I feel their pricing is commensurate with the Food, Atmosphere, and total experience. No disappointments here.

scottsdale75, Owner at Blue Adobe Sante Fe Grille, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2018

Thank you very much for the “Original” shout out. We are not affiliated so it is much appreciated.

Reviewed 17 April 2018 via mobile

We went here for some good Mexican food and were not disappointed. I had beef tacos and they were delicious. The salsa was a good blend of spices and tomatoes, not too thick and not too runny. I had a Margarita and it was very good. We ended with a sopapilla that was warm and fluffy and melts in your mouth. Service was great.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 14 April 2018 via mobile

Went to Blue Adobe with 7 friends while in Phoenix for a 5 day golf visit. Chose Blue Adobe based on past TA reviews. Great start with warm corn chips and an excellent home made salsa.

First disappointment were the 2 pitchers of Margaritas which tasted like Walmart’s drink mix without the Tequila!

2nd disappointment were 7/8 meals which were an odd mix of bland, over cooked, uninterestingly spicy and over cooked (halibut and steak). One of my friend simply lives his steak with Portabella mushroom sauce. Service was pleasant and prompt.

scottsdale75, Owner at Blue Adobe Sante Fe Grille, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2018

I am sorry to read about your disappointment as we try and make sure everyone leaves satisfied. I wish you would have told your server MIA, as she assured me there were no negative comments at your table and all plates were finished. We would have liked the opportunity to make your dining experience enjoyable as seven of eight unsatisfied customers is not something I like to read about.

I hope we get the opportunity for a mulligan.

Reviewed 11 April 2018 via mobile

With such a wide selection of Mexican restaurants , it can be hard to pick a good one here. In our travels we always try to avoid the chains preferring the Mom and Pop places for the home cooked food and it’s important to us to support small businesses. This place fits all the above: great food, made from scratch Margaritas, very reasonable prices, outstanding service, abundant off street parking, and easy to find. You won’t be disappointed . Highly recommended.

scottsdale75, Owner at Blue Adobe Sante Fe Grille, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2018

Thank you! We very much appreciate you taking the time.