“Help is needed here.”
Review of Sante Hotel & Spa

Sante Hotel & Spa
Ranked #10 of 14 Hotels in Paarl
Reviewed 28 March 2017

Entrance to the hotel is a nightmare. Security process requires your drivers licence and while most will have it, if you do not, you may not get in so easily.
Welcome at reception was fine. The lift that was broken in other reviews is still broken. It only affects getting bags from one floor to the next really, but its not 5 star.
Food - is average at best. We had breakfast, lunch and dinner. Only as we had no other option without a car. The spa is very busy so book in advance.
The spa pool and therapies are separate to the accommodation, so it is only destination spa if you have this prepared in advance.
The rooms were well appointed. Nothing in the minibar, but they are now dropping water in with biscuits at night.
There does seem to be a lack of staff about then you need them and they are almost lost with what to do in the notable absence of Management.
The hotel has potential. It is in a beautiful location, with all the facilities but there is no heart in it, no personal touch, a dead ambiance, it reminded me of The Shining.
If you are looking for that level of solitary experience, go for it. Make sure to arrange your transport in advance. We were overcharged by an external taxi driver as we forgot to agree the rate in advance and there was nobody at the hotel reception when we arrived so we were not going to argue the difference in the situation. Cannot recommend the hotel for anyone looking for an amazing experience until it is given the support it needs.

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple
Hote1Management, Manager at Sante Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2017

Dear Valued guest , thank you for your feedback on your recent stay at Sante Hotel and Spa . We are apologise profusely about the poor reception received at our hotel , we will definitely address this with corrective actions urgently . Again we value your continued support and do hope you we could regain your trust to welcome you back to our hotel. Warm Regards Sante Hotel Management & Staff

Reviewed 14 March 2017

I'm copying the complaining email I sent to the hotel and the hotel group - they have not bothered to reply!

I am so disappointed to be writing this email as I was looking forward to a perfect honeymoon. A couple of days of relaxing in luxury. Unfortunately my experience was probably the worst I’ve ever had.

1: Pool - we went to relax by the pool. I searched high and low for someone to bring towels – I couldn’t find anyone. Eventually I got dressed and went to reception to ask. 20mins later the towels arrived and I asked if they could put up the umbrellas (it was searing hot) – she said she didn’t know how. When we finally got the umbrella up it was broken.

2: Outside dining patio – as described below – does it exisit??? After an hour or so at the pool we wanted to have a drink. Not once had anyone come to ask us if we needed anything. So again – I got dressed and went into the bar. There was no-one at the bar – off I go to reception again!! 20mins later our drinks arrived. Obviously there was no-one to offer us a snack.

3: We took a look at the restaurant – it wasn’t appealing so we decided to have room service. Once in the room I looked for the room service menu – nothing, No welcome pack detailing the amenities of the hotel, just an empty folder. So I decided to phone down to reception. The phone didn’t work!! After finding the plug and fixing the phone I tried to call reception. I tried for over 15mins and no-one picked up. I got dressed again (there is a pattern here of me having to make a lot of effort!) I tried one more time and finally someone picked up and brought as a room service menu. What a terrible menu – choice of starters – tomato soup or coleslaw salad. Since when has coleslaw been a starter – it’s a side dish. 3 choices of main course all with baby potatoes and mixed veg – very uninspiring. Not the upscale dining experience we were promised in your advertising below. We went for toasted sandwiches because you can’t go wrong with those, not exactly the first meal I was envisioning on my honeymoon!

4: We decided to have a drink with our supper so I went to the mini -bar….empty. I tried calling down to reception but after 5 mins gave up. Some honeymoon this was turning out to be - we couldn’t even have a drink!!

5: Breakfast – yes, another disaster. Service was non-existent. We were the only people in the restaurant but the staff still managed to ignore us. A pathetic breakfast was served. A dry croissant with no jam, cold eggs that were not soft like we requested. We managed to get one cup of coffee but couldn’t find anyone to make us another!

6: No water in the room. There wasn’t even a bottle of water in the room, Let along something for the just married couple- perhaps a fruit basket/chocolate etc. Small touches make a big difference.

7: Lift not working – broken when we checked in and checked out. Obviously finding someone to help us with bags was impossible. Once again I tried phoning reception – guess what – no one picked up. Again I traipsed down to reception to get someone to help us carry our heavy bags down the stairs.

I spent more time standing at reception during our stay than I did with my husband!!

I have attached below some of the false advertising you have on your website, proclaiming a strong service culture and quality dining experiences. Our experience was a ghost town – despite hunting high and low staff were no-where to be found and there was nothing luxurious about our stay!!

This is not a cheap hotel. We paid R2750 for our room and could not even get a drink!!

You can’t repeat a honeymoon unfortunately so you have ruined my memories of it.

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank russellvixen
Hote1Management, Manager at Sante Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2017

Dear Victoria , thank you for your valued feedback , we have communicated this to our National OPS Manager for further action. Kind regards Management & Team Sante Hotel & Spa

Reviewed 3 March 2017

So when I booked this hotel - it said there was wifi and on arrival I was informed there is no wifi in the rooms and you have to sit in public areas for access to the internet which was extremely annoying.

Additionally, the breakfast was atrocious- stayed for 4 nights and didn't eat it even once.

there is little or no vegetarian options!

I was quite upset when I brought a take away pizza and asked them to microwave it and they microwaves it with the plastic still on!

Overall whilst the rooms are huge - I don't recommend this place at all!

The standard has really dropped from when I last visited!

Room Tip: not appropriate if you need WIFI
  • Stayed: February 2017, travelled on business

Dear Kalika , thank you for your feedback on your recent stay at Sante Hotel and Spa . We apologise profusely about the poor reception received at our hotel , we will definitely address this with corrective measures urgently . Again we value your continued support and do hope you we could regain your trust to welcome you back to our hotel. Warm Regards Sante Hotel Management & Staff

Reviewed 24 February 2017

Ignore the bad reviews, this place was amazing. First time attending for my 3 year anniversary on the 23 February 2017 and we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. Every treatment was totally worth it, from head to toe. The only thing I was annoyed at was the receptionist, we arrived early and was told to wait, half an hour passed and when I asked her about it, she forgot to follow up and they actually forgot about us. Nonetheless, it was a lovely experience, such a beautiful venue.

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
Hote1Management, Manager at Sante Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 2 March 2017

Dear Valued Guest , thank you for your feedback on your recent stay at Sante Hotel and Spa . We are apologise profusely about the poor reception received at our hotel , we will definitely address this with corrective actions urgently . Again we value your continued support and do hope you we could regain your trust to welcome you back to our hotel. Warm Regards Sante Hotel Management & Staff

Reviewed 11 February 2017 via mobile

The central bath in the bedroom is the master piece! There is an outside small pool which is perfect to me and overlooking a pound and mountains. Hotel is a bit expensive but you get a nice breakfast in. It is a bit of a remote location - about 20/30' from wine farms in stellenbosh - so I recommend having your own car as we are struggling with uber reception. Great stay!

Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
Hote1Management, Manager at Sante Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2017

Dear Valued Guest , we thank you for taking the time to give feedback on your recent stay at Sante Hotel & Spa. We appreciate your compliments and will convey the message to staff. We appreciate your valued support. Warm Regards Management & Staff Sante Hotel & Spa .

Also consider these accommodations in or near Paarl
11.2 km away
Cascade Manor
#3 of 14 in Paarl
6.2 km away
De Wingerd Wijnland Lodge

Been to Sante Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!