This has to be one of the best hotels that we have stayed in and the team that run it are incredible. The staff introduce themselves to you, shake your hand, welcome you like the mean it and seem to have a sixth sense such that they know when you want a coffee.
The food is fantastic, we were there two nights and the dinner menu changed both nights. You don’t have to book a table or a time, just sit down when you want and you will be some of the finest food you can eat. The choice of wines to go with you meal is extensive and included in the price, but if you want to buy that special bottle then they have that covered too with knowledgable staff that can help with the choice.
Lunch is tapas plates with options for all palettes all freshly prepared so that you can eat as much or as little as you want. Breakfast is one of the best we have eaten, from the home made musli to the cooked options... all are great.
We only stayed for two nights, and regret not staying longer. There is more to do in the area than we thought, with the hotel only happy to organise excursions and drive you to them. One thing not to miss is the cliff walk to Hermanus. This is a nice 3 mile walk that can take an hour or two, if you are lucky enough to spot some whales like we did. When you get to Hermanus, if you don’t fancy the walk back, just pop into Marine Hotel and they will call Birkenhead House who will come and pick you up.
One point to note is that the pools aren’t heated so if you are visiting in the whale watching season I would expect them to be a bit cold.
Buildings don’t make great hotels, the people running it do and make no mistake this is a great hotel. Definitely worth a detour and we are already planning to return.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Perched on the Hermanus cliffs, the regal Birkenhead House overlooks the whale watching paradise of Walker Bay. Accommodating guests in the utmost luxury, this is the perfect destination for those seeking the pinnacle of seaside living. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia and Booking.com so you can book your Birkenhead House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Birkenhead House And Villa
- Birkenhead House & Villa Hotel Hermanus