Book In Advance
In high demand - travellers recommend booking ahead!

Ways to Experience Robben Island Museum
from US$194.00
from US$43.30
from US$85.20
from US$105.20
7,439 results
All reviews ex prisoner nelson mandela political prisoners ferry ride mandela's cell island tour maximum security prison leper colony lime quarry spent years prison life long walk to freedom humbling experience first hand south african history walking tour when visiting cape town
Reviewed 18 February 2011

These are blasphemous words, I know. I had heard the complaints but thought it would be foolish to come to Cape Town and not see this important part of its history. But there was little history to be had. The tour rushes you from site to site, and we had at best 5 minutes in the block of Mandela's cell, with 60 tourists trying to all take photos at the same time. The worst crime is that they rush you through the "C block stories" that explain the lives of other prisoners. At best, it's rushed, not very informative, and you see very little. At worst, it disrespects the other political prisoners that toiled for years on Robben Island. For three hours of your time, you may want to consider the District 6 museum and exploring other historical sites. But if you must go, book your tickets online in advance.

Date of experience: February 2011
5  Thank DCglamper
Reviewed 14 February 2011

A visit to Robben Island is a must do experience in Cape Town. It is more than an eye opener, and can be deeply moving. Our tour guides were all past prisoners and it is amazing how they were able to weave in deep insight and humor at a place that one would think had so much of disturbing memories for them. Kids especially would love the colony of African penguins on the island. As our guide had put it, "If you are a South African and have not been abroad, here is where you can see Cape Town OVER SEAS!"

Date of experience: February 2011
1  Thank Abhijit_BLR
Reviewed 4 February 2011

I'm a tour operator and one of our most popular tours is the Robben Island tour. I think every South African should visit Robben Island at least once and for the tourists to SA, its the best way to learn about Madiba.

Date of experience: January 2011
Reviewed 31 January 2011

We visited Robben Island on the last day of our trip to South Africa. Firstly the staff at the exhibition centre were so rude that I wanted to cancel our trip on principle! I have no idea why but their attitudes stink! My other half really wanted to see the island so i calmed myself down and off we went: the tour was good with excellent guides who are ex political prisioners and who are extremly passionate about the history of the island and people. Its just a pity that the whole thing was a rush from start to finish and you felt like an animal being herded along from one point to the next. One of our guides commented that he had so much more that he wanted to tell us but he felt that the tours were rushed also. We didnt even have time to visit the gift shop! We did not have time to see the islands huge population of penguins either and felt a bit cheated by that. The trip over/back can be very bumpy if it is windy so if you dont have good sea legs be prepared. Overall it is a place that is definately worth a visit and I found it quiet emotional listening to some of the stories during the tour so i actually felt it was a bit disrespectful not to allow visitors the time to appreciate this world heritage site and its history.

Date of experience: January 2011
3  Thank travelsavvy10
Reviewed 2 December 2010

I really enjoyed my trip to Robben Island - the place where Nelson Mandela was imprisoned. The boat trip there gives for excellent views of Table Mountain. You can learn a lot from this tour and you can tell they are trying hard to preserve the history. There is a lot of information given on the past of South Africa and the prisoners of the jail. To be inside the prison itself and see what it was like is really interesting, especially as you also get to see Nelson Mandelas cell.