“A beautiful building but the art leaves much to be desired”
Review of Zeitz MOCAA

Zeitz MOCAA
Book In Advance
More Info
US$12.37*
and up
Skip the Line: Zeitz MOCAA - Museum of...
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Zeitz Museum of Contemporary Art Africa (Zeitz MOCAA) is a public not-for-profit contemporary art museum which collects, preserves, researches, and exhibits twenty-first century art from Africa and its Diaspora; hosts international exhibitions; develops supporting educational and enrichment programmes; encourages intercultural understanding; and guarantees access for all. Over one hundred galleries, spread over nine floors, are dedicated to a large cutting edge permanent collection; temporary exhibitions; and Centres for Art Education, Curatorial Excellence, Performative Practice, Photography, the Moving Image, and the Costume Institute.
Reviewed 29 June 2018

Last night myself and a few girlfriends visited the Zeitz Art Museum as it was the last Thursday of the month which means it is free. The queue was extremely long but it moved fast and within half an hour we were inside. The building inside is beautiful and modern, it is extremely large (6 floors) and there is a lot of area to cover. I am no art critic but I thought an art gallery consisted of at least a few paintings, most of the art work was printed or photographic. If I had to give advice I would say make sure you have lots of time, don't rush through as there is so much to see and take in. If you feel like a break there is a restaurant on the top floor. For those people that have studied art, I'm sure they would appreciate the art much more but for the casual art lover, don't expect too much.

All reviews
"audio tour"
"visited this museum"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed 29 June 2018 via mobile

If you're lucky enough, it's worth the wait to wait in a long line during a Thursday night along the harbor, where there is free admission and the museum is lit with a DJ and music performances outside and at the restaurant! It makes for plenty to do for all types of families and folks.

I completely agree that the architecture is the highly of this museum! I spent just as much time admiring the building inside and outside as I did with all the exhibits. The sculpture rooftop is open and spacious. I had a great time, the museum was bumpin! Go and support the arts!

Reviewed 27 June 2018

This is a converted Grain Mill ,The architecture is outstanding & well worth the visit .We were disappointed by the African art felt that there are far better examples on view elsewhere

Reviewed 25 June 2018

It is well worth a visit. Although I am a bit of a Philistine when it comes to art, I found the art on display to be very impressive.
For me the structure of the gallery which was originally an old grain silo was, for me, the highlight. A lot of the machinery and equipment is still in place and the large open atriam was "mind blowing"..
I will go back again just to marvel at the structures in the area.