1,925 results
All reviews kids club island suite nobu restaurant reuben table mountain high tea oysters beautiful hotel breakfast buffet city hotel south africa mountain view turn down service waterfront area our honeymoon fantastic stay water front
Reviewed 5 September 2015

Our family group spent 3 nights at the One&Only Cape Town in early July. We were two couples and a 6-year-old and we had neighboring Marina Rise mountain view rooms.

We loved this hotel! The lobby is beautiful, the rooms are spacious and attractive, and the service is wonderful. The food was great, both the breakfast buffet and the dinner service. And the kids club is fantastic!

Our room (no child in ours) had a king bed, a separate sitting area, and a small balcony with a great view of Table Mountain. Fresh fruit and a bouquet of fresh flowers had been placed in the room before our arrival. We had sundowners in the hotel's lobby bar; it is a lovely atmosphere with a pretty view of sunset on Table Mountain.

Breakfast is included in the rate and the buffet is very nice, a good selection. On our last night we also ate dinner at the hotel…the others wanted to eat at Nobu, but my dietary restrictions made it almost impossible for me to order anything there. I was mortified that my husband even asked this, but the hotel agreed to let me order off of the Ruben’s menu and they delivered my meal to our table in Nobu. My meal was delicious. The others loved Nobu. And we all enjoyed Nobu’s gigantic Hollywood dessert platter. :)

The afternoon we arrived we made a last-minute request to go on a wine tasting tour the next day. One of the women at reception organized this for us very quickly and efficiently. She advised us to go on a 6-hour tour because the 4-hour tour would be too rushed, and she was right (it wasn’t just an upsell), so we were grateful she told us this.

Our guide for the winelands visit was Tony from Jarat Tours and he was the best. Super knowledgeable and funny, we loved him! We visited one winery for a formal tasting, two for informal tastings, and one for lunch. We also visited the town of Stellenbosch. The scenery in this area is beautiful and so is the architecture in Stellenbosch. It was the dead of winter in South Africa, but everything was still green and gorgeous and we had a brilliantly sunny day.

While on the wine tour we learned that our shark dive for the next day had been cancelled due to rough seas. We were disappointed, but Tony gave us ideas for what to do instead and we decided to do a cape drive, which he quickly scheduled. (More on that in a moment).

Before heading off on our wine tour, we dropped off our 6-year-old nephew at the kids club when it opened at 10 am. He spent all day there and when it closed at 7 pm a babysitter brought him up to the room and stayed with him for a couple more hours until we got back. (We’d arranged the babysitter in advance, thinking we’d like to have an adults' night out - we went to dinner in Cape Town after the wine tour). The kids club was included in the room rate and nephew had a blast there! It’s very cheerful and they go on fun outings - if you’re traveling with children, this inclusion is a great value!

The next day, together with nephew, we went on the cape drive. Tony was again our guide, and again he told us lots of history and fun stories. More gorgeous scenery, this time coastal, and another brilliantly sunny day. We stopped in Simon’s Town (penguin colony), hiked up to the lighthouse at Cape Point, stopped at the Cape of Good Hope, and saw lots of beaches and cute towns. Another great tour!

We spent the afternoon back in Cape Town, going up to Table Mountain and visiting the city center for a bit. Then back to the hotel for massages (nephew was happy to return to the kids club for a couple more hours) and our final dinner. We were sad that we didn’t have more time in Cape Town - we’re fairly well-traveled, and it’s one of the most beautiful places we’ve visited. Really wonderful, and staying at the wonderful One&Only made the experience complete!

Stayed: July 2015, travelled with family
3  Thank frangipani7
Dale_HParkington7, Manager at One&Only Cape Town, responded to this reviewResponded 30 September 2015

Dear frangipani7,

Thank you for taking the time to share your detailed review following your stay at the Resort.

I am pleased that your family had such an amazing time with us and also managed to enjoy the magical Cape Town attractions. I will be sure to thank the team at Nobu and Reuben’s for making sure your every need was met. I was even happier to read your kind comments about Tony from Jarat Tours who could quickly suggest alternate attractions, despite the unforeseen weather. I will be sure to share your kind feedback with my team.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and it would be our pleasure to welcome you back again.

Reviewed 3 September 2015

My name is Sonia and I decided that for my Fiance birthday I would take him there for high tea and then later to Rueben's restaurant and then to the Aquarium. I reside in Gordon's bay and due to the service I received I might have well have stayed at home instead of driving out to Waterfront to get verbaly assulted. I had just pulled into the One and Only and was waiting on the Porter to show me where to park.I was not even there for a minute when 2 wealthy guest in a fancy car came behide and started hooting like crazy for me to move. I did not move as the Porter knew I was waiting on him( he was collecting a tip from one of the other visitors who was also coming for the high tea and to top it off the parking on the top level is for elderly or disabled and a young woman got out of the car). Anyway this guest behide me was hooting so my finance opened the door and looked behind him and asked him if there was a problem, this guest said either move your (profanity words) ,car or he will knock the door ,he then continued to hoot ,he pushed in right next to my Fiance's car and said are you talking to me are you talking to me the porters just stood around and watched and did nothing ,they actually got out of the way while these guys went on with my Fiance and I. I replied back to those guys and said to get some manners. I filled an incident report out as my Fiance had never been so annoyed and angry at what happened. The staff was accommodating but that incident had ruined my day and my Fiance's day it was terrible. I then spoke to Angelo head of security who said he would talk to Dale Parkington the Director i took this Director a day and half to call me back he is so rude has no compassion said this was not a problem of the hotel and there was nothing he could do he even went to say why did I not move the car and I told him that I was waiting for the Porter to show me where to park. Dale Parkington should not be a Director ,I have worked for a few Hotels and the Operations Manager and Directors are always there to assist the guests and the visitors to the hotel and to make them feel safe but this gentleman Dale had no compassion I actually never went to Ruben's restaurant because of this incident.

Please take it from me there are other hotels that will go the extra mile for you like V&A Hotel, Queen Victoria, Dockhouse and the Ambassador hotels

Dale Parkington is not suited to be a Director he even went as far to say this incident that happened at the hotel was my fault even though i have video footage recorded on a dash cam,

I will never recommend middle class people going there, unless you are incredibly wealthy which seems to be the only thing that demands respect from senior management.

Let me end off by saying that ,had my Fiance not restrained himself a very unpleasant incident would have occurred on their premises.It is so disgusting when a Director (Dale Parkington) cannot take responsibility. If u have a complaint about this hotel do not bother to call him as he will not return a call, I had left him a few messages to call me back and Angelo head of security had to get Dale Parkinton to call me or he would never have called back. Dale Parkington for your information this happened on your premises. Terrible service from the Director Dale Parkington.

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled as a couple
14  Thank sonia084206
Madeleenvanlill, Manager at One&Only Cape Town, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2015

Dear Sonia084206,

Thank you for your feedback. I understand that Clive Bennett, our Managing Director, has made contact with you personally to address your concerns.

We are sincerely sorry for your experience and hope that we may be able to welcome you back to the resort in the future.

With best wishes,

Madeleen van Lill, Training and Quality Assurance Manager - Human Resources

Reviewed 30 August 2015 via mobile

The only and only never fails to deliver and now has become our first choice of hotels in Cape Town. Well located near the W&A waterfront and easy access to freeways , the Cape Town convention center and downtown. Scrumptious breakfast at Rubens, lovely resort feel in the cut of Cape Town. Well trained and friendly staff, that are on top of their game. They well aware of guest needs and meet demands of any fussy guest quick with much effort. The one and only is what you would expect for any top class international hotel.

Stayed: August 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Shube1
DaleH_Parkington6, General Manager at One&Only Cape Town, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2015

Dear Shube1,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review and thank you for your continued support of One&Only Cape Town. I will be sure to share your praise with my colleagues and assure you that we will strive always to stay on top of our game.

We look forward to welcoming you back to your home in Cape Town.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 29 August 2015 via mobile

The One&Only Cape Town has really improved its service, it is truly the top hotel in Cape Town!

We stayed in a mountain-facing room with 2 queen beds, and the room size and facilities cannot be faulted.

What sets it apart from other hotels is the convenient location in the V&A waterfront and the service, which is really top-notch, nothing is too much to ask for.

When I asked for an Afrikaans daily newspaper (which I had not requested in advance), they got this in a jiffy!

Breakfast in Reuben's is excellent, the crispy bacon is excellent, as are the other options.

The spa is beautiful! The dining options are also excellent, as is the fitness centre.

I would not stay anywhere else in Cape Town! This is world class.

Stayed: August 2015, travelled with friends

Dear Gerhard13071964,

Thank you so much for your kind review and for continuing to choose One&Only as your home in Cape Town. I am glad that we managed to exceed your expectations during your last stay and assure you that we will continuously strive to improve.

We all look forward to welcoming you and your family back for many more visits to Cape Town.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 29 August 2015

The One and Only Hotel in Capetown South Africa proved to be one of my favorites of all time. The lobby is exquisite and the rooms beautiful, comfortable and lacking nothing for your needs. The beds and pillows were wonderful, the shower stall had a seat in it (often missing in hotels) the lighting excellent, lots of hangers, and magnifying mirror. Water, coffee, tea and snacks provided. Free wifi in the rooms. We stayed in a room on their little island but I would guess the main hotel rooms are as lovely. Friendliness and service excellent. We had a wonderful dinner at Rubens there. The location of this hotel is perfect. Right beside the Hop On and Off Bus stop, and a short walk to the waterfront area which is filled with restaurants and shops and a children's playground including a ferris wheel. This wheel also helps to locate your hotel when you are on the bus or in a cab. Be sure to check out the Watershed filled with artisans and craft work. I loved it and would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled as a couple

Dear MidgeB,

Thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful feedback.

I am delighted to read that we have become one of your favourite hotels and that you enjoyed our island rooms which are a special haven on the waterfront. I will be sure to pass on your compliments to my colleagues with special mention to the Reuben’s team.

It would be my pleasure to welcome you back to stay with us again.

Warm regards,