All reviews viewing deck the river breakfast and dinner buffet style game drives game reserve south africa reception area rooms are spacious open air dining area pasta public areas stir fry fantastic location self catering hotel grounds
Reviewed 19 August 2018

Nicely laid out hotel with excellent/comfortable rooms. Fantastic buffet dinner in the boma around camp fires. Lay-out of the hotel with the open reception area (beware of monkeys:), and breakfast on the deck.

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 August 2018 via mobile

From the time we arrieved we were treated so well. David at the restaurant was superb and looked after our every need. The rooms had all we needed and were spotlessly clean. This hotel make for a perfect stop before entering the Kruger or to even use it as your base going in every day. We will be back

Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 August 2018 via mobile

After spending hours researching hotels in and around Kruger I was pleasantly surprised when I came across this hotel so I booked a family room for 4 nights with my family. The hotel is so well built on stilts like a big tree house. It has 2 main bars one being the bar overlooking part of Kruger where you can have a drink sometimes looking at wild animals like Rino, elephants, etc. the hotel has an electric fence around the spacious grounds. There is a swimming pool, tennis court, kids activity room, function room & massage service with a great outlook. The family room was a bit smaller than I had hoped for 4 people but it was still comfortable and did the job. The room had a bath/shower in it, decent TV with quite a few channels including a couple of movie ones. There was a sliding back door to the hotel grounds also where we regularly saw a hotel employee in car key chasing away baboons with a big stick. There are also a family of monkeys which reside on the hotel grounds which are harmless, but will get in your room if you leave the door unlocked or open and trash it. My daughter had a kids massage booked in the morning but it was delayed an hour as the monkeys had got into the massage room over night and trashed the the room. The staff are very friendly and crack jokes etc. the day and morning safaris leave at 6am and is great because you are first at the gate when the park opens at 6am. As the drives leave earlier than breakfast starts they give you a breakfast box to take with you, but you must book this the day before. We booked game drives with different companies and found the cheaper ones just as good with one even including buffet lunch (‘Kelly’ I think??). We booked private game drives due to having a 3 year old which were a bit more expensive but I would book a private one again next time too as you can do what you want and don’t have strangers next to you leaning over you trying to get the best photo etc which I saw many times driving around. First day we saw an elephant that pushed a tree over right in front of us blocking the road and the rest of the Big 5!The hotel prices are reasonable considering where you are and breakfast & dinner are included. For Australians you’ll find the cocktails cheap around $5-$8each although it’s not cheap for Sth Africa. The dinners were what we looked forward to every night at 6pm as it was an African buffet with different food stations where cooks would cook what you picked out, even just different pasta & sauces as well which were a hit with kids. You could try different things like impala , Cudos, crocodile etc in steaks or sausages which was very nice and of course normal stuff like beef, veges, ice cream, nice desserts etc. some nights they have live African dancing. I wasn’t happy when one dancer came up to me when I was leaving and wanted a tip. I am sure the hotel is paying them properly,( who would have cash on them anyway in the hotel when it’s all included?) The Transfers were very expensive even for the 1.5hr journey, not just direct from hotel but all the companies so we just used the hotel transfers to and from Kruger airport.
To conclude I would definitely and will come back to this hotel again I think it’s perfect for an African getaway.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank bigtones25
Reviewed 17 August 2018

I booked 3 of the self catered chalets to accommodate our large group of 18 people. The chalets suited us well and allowed us flexibility for our catering. The chalets were well maintained and clean. We used to braai area of 2 of the nights, on the Saturday night I had booked us all into the Lapa for the evening buffet as it was my husband's birthday night. The manager had us seated at the best vantage point to watch the zulu dancers. Great fun! Our waiter ?? Simon heard that it was his birthday and arranged for a wee cake and the dancers to come sing happy birthday. We finished off the evening with drinks round the fire.

The deck over looking the river offers a great vantage point for a sundowner, and we were lucky to be there during the blood moon/lunar eclipse.

However, I do have a few niggles about the hotel. The email communication while I was trying to arrange something for the birthday night was slow and unenthusiastic. I asked for help to make it special, but this not acknowledged. Thankfully Simon made up for this.

I can't quite put my finger on it, but there was something lacking. The location is great with access to Kruger Main gates literally on the doorstep, but the hotel felt like it was stuck a bit in time. I first visited about 15 years ago and nothing seems to have changed.

This may sound a tad petty, but it is a Marriott hotel, but they offer no Marriott benefits. My husband travels globally and was a bit disappointed by this.

In saying all this, it is still a great location offering a good introduction to safari life. I'm glad we didn't all pay the hotel room prices and opted for the self catered chalet instead.

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 August 2018

We had the pleasure of spending four nights at this excellent establishment. The staff can only be described as being wonderful. Attentive and willing, everyone of of them seems trained to provide the best service available. The meals are superb and the variety of dishes on offer within the Boma is almost frightening-- what to chose becomes the problem. Wines were a bit expensive but there was always something to please the palate. The rooms are spacious and comfortable and are well cleaned and kept fresh.

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
Francois M, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Kruger Gate, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2018

Dear GUEST

We are delighted to have been your chosen hotel during your recent stay in Skukuza. It was
truly a pleasure to serve you.

We appreciate your business and value your honest feedback. Your comments have been shared with
the hotel team as a critical way of understanding how we can continue to deliver exceptional service
to guests like you.

Thank you for staying at the Protea Hotel Kruger Gate and we hope you choose to create more memories with
us whenever your travels bring you back to Skukuza.