All reviews wild rivers greater kruger wet room chef constance big reserve simple luxury game drives gluten intolerant cold winter nights hot water bottles in our bed breakfast in the bush tarmac road other guests beautiful pool exclusive access big table the river
Reviewed 20 August 2017

Conraad and Lily have created an idyllic camp on the banks of the Blyde river.
The camp is professionally run but has a real feeling of being a home away from home.
The behind the scenes staff ensure that the camp runs smoothly, sorting out the tents including a hot water bottle in the beds to fend of the cold winter nights. The food served is exceedingly tasty.
Lily and Gemma make a great front of house team and then you have the guides! We were lucky enough to go out on drives with all 3, Conraad, Elliott and Donovan. On the drives they worked really hard to get us some good game sightings but also some of the smaller things and the ways of the bush. It was interesting to see how they went about reading the various tracks to try and make sense of what the animals were getting up to.
In the evenings it was good to share the meal with other guests and to discuss the day with the guides or Lily and Gemma.
We were stopping as part of an On Track 14 day safari and so it was good to see the INGWE Leopard research including setting our own camera trap.
If we are ever in the area again we will have no reservations about stopping here again, it will be like visiting old friends.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank MarkP100
Lily J, Owner at Rukiya Safari Camp, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2017

Hi Mark, Thank you so much for your review. I have just received stock of the t-shirts so I will be sending yours back to the UK when my family return from their trip out here early next month. We are pleased that you enjoyed the food, camp, staff and game drives. It was a pleasure having you to stay and look forward to welcoming you home next time you visit us. Thanks, Lily

Reviewed 11 August 2017

This was my second stay at Rukiya and it was better than the first! We were delayed in arriving as our flight in Johannesburg was delayed by a couple of hours. But upon arrival, the entire team came out to greet and welcome us. It was so great to see Lily, Conraad, and Elliott again and to meet Donovan and Gemma. I was shown my tent - which happened to be the same tent I stayed in last year! I'd like to think they remembered and assigned it to me for that reason ;)

The camp was just as perfect as I remembered. Each guest was treated as if they were the only guest in camp. Game drives were always informative as Donovan and Elliott took their time in explaining everything - flora and fauna - and made the drives extremely interactive. Lily and Gemma were the greatest hostesses - always there to greet us when returning from game drives and to have a fun chat.

I almost don't want to recommend this camp to anyone as I'd like to keep it my little secret. But it's an incredible place to stay and enjoy the South African bush. I'm looking forward to returning in 2018!

• Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank KimVanNguyen
Lily J, Owner at Rukiya Safari Camp, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2017

Hi Kim, Sorry I am only getting round to replying now! Thank you for another great review. It was great welcoming you back home again and we are looking forward to your trip next year. We have just finished up the marshmallows and Graham Crackers with some other Americans in camp. We toasted to you round the fire! See you in 2018!

Reviewed 3 August 2017

Rukiya Safari Camp is a wonderful lodge located on a private nature reserve, just a short drive from the Greater Kruger National Park. I was lucky enough to spend 8 nights with the great staff; experiencing multiple game drives, local highlights, and volunteering in the community. Lily, Gemma, and staff go above and beyond to make sure you feel welcome.
The guides are extremely knowledgeable and willing to answer any questions during the game drives. We got to see all of the BIG 5 and more, with some amazing sightings that were only possible due to their expert tracking and love for the Bush. Conraad, Elliott, and Donovan even took the time to explain animal tracks and how they were tracking them. It was educational and fun.
The food is delicious. Chef Constance would walk through what she made for us every evening; cooking everything from South African specialties to comfort food.
The rooms are very comfortable and roomy. Each has a private deck and beautiful view. Housekeeping was sure to ask if we needed anything and was very accommodating to every request. Thank you again for the extra hot water bottle.
Thank you for making my first visit to South Africa unforgettable. I’m already planning when I’ll be back.

• Trip type: Travelled solo
2  Thank shar0nK74

Hi Sharon, Thank you so much for your review. It was a pleasure having you to stay. We are pleased that you enjoyed the variety of activities and thank you for helping us hold the conservation class with the kids at the orphanage. It is great thank you got the full bush experience, seeing so much wildlife, learning about it and the tracking adventure! I have passed on your message to the team here and everyone sends their regards. See you next time! Thanks, Lily

Reviewed 24 July 2017

EVERY THING WAS PERFECT
CLEAN , COMFORTABLE AND WELL EQUIPPED CAMP
THE FOOD WAS Delicious
the staff was just amazing , ready and love to help with information or any thing just to make your stay comfortable
and the safari game was interesting with professional gaudiness, we were lucky
that we saw the lions
the value for the money 10/10
defiantly i will stay again and again ^_^

• Trip type: Travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
2  Thank V3846UEabdullaha
Lily J, Owner at Rukiya Safari Camp, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2017

Thank you very much for your review. It was lovely having you to stay with us and also great to have very first guests from Kuwait! We look forward to welcoming you back, and hopefully for a longer stay next time. Thanks, Lily

Reviewed 19 July 2017

Nestled on a riverbank is a slice of African heaven... Lily, Konrad, and all the guides, are professional, informative and passionate about the wildlife and make your stay fun and safe. The meals are delicious and the tented accommodation is great! It is where you can see hippos through the day and listen them make their grunts through the night ( my favourite thing). They have created a beautiful place and i wish them the best !! Would definitely love to go back again if I have the chance. PS We saw Wild Dogs there :)

Date of stay: June 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank Jenny E
Lily J, Owner at Rukiya Safari Camp, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2017

Thank you very much for your review. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your time with us. If you have to be woken up by something, the Hippos snorting is not a bad one! Would love to have you back with us again! Until next time.. Lily