All reviewsbusiness tripgame reserveplace to staygame parksmall poolwater pressurehluhluwe parkpleasant stayself cateringevery morningtraceyguesthouseceefridgeafricabirdsrhino
Reviewed 11 January 2018

Every once in awhile I stay at a place where the experience is truly a delight, and The Fever Tree was this for me. I really enjoyed my stay and would not hesitate to return.

The guest house is located near the entrance to the game park and other attractions in the area. It's pretty much as close as you can stay to the park without being inside of it and is a short distance away from the supermarket and the only 5-star hotel in town.

I arrived late but they organized a 3 course dinner for me on the spot. I was really grateful for this because the only other option was a dodgy-looking KFC. It was excellent and cooked to perfection. I wish I'd organized dinner there two days in a row, because it was better and less expensive than the 5-star hotel restaurant down the street.

Breakfast was very nice as well: muesli, fruit juice, coffee, shoulder bacon and eggs. Plenty of energy to start the day.

The room itself was fine. Nicely tiled shower, tile floor, comfortable bed, fluffy towels. It wasn't large but it was air conditioned. The window opened up to a lovely garden with singing birds, wildflowers and the hum of crickets. Actually, the grounds are really nice; there is a pool, gazebo, seating area outdoors and even a barbecue (which South Africans call a braai). Guests have the run of the place.

So, a few words about the location. The Fever Tree is situated in a rural African village near a game park full of wild animals. You need to keep in mind where you are and what they're working with. Insects? Lots of 'em. There was a can of bug spray in the room and I used it. This isn't anything to do with the property, it's just where you are--if you open the door, some hungry critter is likely to fly in. At night, there might be smoke because the locals burn their trash (this happened one day I was there). Close your windows and run the A/C if this happens. During the day, there are people all over the roads going about their daily business. So when driving, watch out for running kids. The neighborhood looks like a typical rural African village, because, well, that is where you are. All the attendant infrastructure issues can be expected. While I had no issues with reliable electricity or good water pressure, the owner was completely open about this being an occasional problem in the village. They do have backup systems in place when there are interruptions, but it (reasonably) takes time to switch over to them.

Similarly, until 1/1/18, the fastest Internet they could buy--despite being almost next door to the phone company--was 2Mbps, because this is as fast as it gets in a rural African village. This meant (and still means) slow speeds. The good news is that the local phone company has upgraded the connection to the village and is now selling faster speeds, which The Fever Tree has ordered (I was in the room with the owner when she ordered it, so it's definitely going to happen). They also plan to extend the Internet service so it works reliably throughout the property. We discussed the Instagram-happy habits of younger travelers and I feel certain the owner is on board with making The Fever Tree social media friendly.

I didn't have a problem with parking, but there were only two other guests when I visited. The owner mentioned that if I return next year, I should feel free to bring a 4x4. They plan (very soon) to expand the parking area to accommodate more, larger vehicles.

The Fever Tree is not a five star hotel. However, it is a three star guest house with five star service. I wouldn't hesitate to return.

Room Tip: If you want WiFi in your room, ask for a room that has WiFi. Not all currently do (although they're in the process of upgrading).
  • Stayed: January 2018, travelled solo
Tracey C, Owner at The Fever Tree Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 12 January 2018

Thank you so much for a wonderful review.

It was pleasure to host you. I wish more guests would maintain your perspective. Yes, we try our best, but this is Africa and things go wrong sometimes. We just have to deal with them.

Reviewed 9 January 2018

you guys were awesome your caretasy to your guest were very good ,your rooms are very neat even you staff you so good friendly really enjoyed staying with you hopefully will come again

tip of advise this200 minimum review is irritating guys

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank nontobekom2018

Thank you for your review.

We look forward to hosting you again.

Reviewed 1 January 2018

We stayed in the self catering cottage which we found spacious. However, no wifi coverage unless you walk over to the main house, which in the dark was a bit precarious to say the least, this was when it worked, which wasn't very often and it was painfully slow. Tv's in both bedrooms but not in main lounge area which we found odd and a tad inconvenient. We stayed here for a week and it could have been much more pleasurable with a few improvements, wouldn't recommend if free and reliable wifi is a pre-requisite for your trip, it was a requirement for us and we chose this accommodation on this basis, so felt a bit misled. Both bedrooms had aircon but main lounge kitchen area only had a ceiling fan which wasn't that effective given the space. Dogs constantly barking all night didn't lend itself to a decent nights sleep and whilst this wasn't the fault of the guest house it was just another minus to staying there.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple

Hi Wendy

Thank you for your review.
A word of explanation is in order. We established Umsinsi Cottage as a venue where families can come stay to visit the park. We found that families had a hard time finding affordable accommodation. If we wired in a dedicated WiFi connection (which would be necessary because of the distance from the main house), installed another air-conditioner as well as an extra television in the lounge the cost for the cottage would skyrocket, pushing it outside the reach of most potential guests.
We have spoken to our neighbours regarding their noisy dogs. Hopefully that situation will improve.

Reviewed 22 December 2017 via mobile

Had a great stay at The Fever Tree. It was tranquil and relaxing. The staff are friendly and helpful and the food is to die for! Visiting the game reserve nearby was amazing and the room was quiet and comfortable. Thank you to The Fever Tree for a pleasant stay!

Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family

Thank you so much for your lovely review.

Please visit us again on your next trip to South Africa.

Reviewed 14 December 2017

Location of the guest house is nearby the Hluhluwe national park and close to supermarket and gasstation with ATM. We stayed in the cottage which was really good. The staff and owner are very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Tracey C, Owner at The Fever Tree Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 17 December 2017

Thank you so much for a lovely review