Lowest prices for your stay
Hotels.com
US$89
SAVE US$21
Trip.comUS$100
3,316 results
All reviews ocean breeze tsogo sun in room dining room service value for money durban beachfront indian ocean golden mile excellent service sea facing enjoyed my stay friends and family home away from home vigour verve promenade conference
Selected filters
Reviewed 5 June 2020

Our dining room at home is for now my temporary office and my desk is where we once sat with family and friends, eating, drinking, and laughing. How the world has changed in such a short time. The global pandemic, Coronavirus, covid-19, has had an effect like no other in our lifetimes. It is hard to believe that just over three months ago that I sat outside King Shaka International Airport, Durban, soaking up some summer sun before flying back to England and the cold of winter.
A friend, Paul, had called me and said he fancied flying to South Africa to watch some cricket. A big birthday on the horizon had prompted his call. The short story is I put a plan together, booked flights, a car and sorted accommodation for a very last-minute trip. The plan was centred around two stays in Durban taking in England playing cricket against South Africa in a One Day and a T20 international. Outside of Durban we would stay with family & friends, squeeze in a couple of educational trips, and have a three-day self-drive safari.
Durban is an overnight flight from London with only an hour or two, depending on the season, time difference. Jet lag is not an issue and for me sleeping on a plane comes easily. The contrast in weather is dramatic. We left a fridge and landed in an oven. Durban, situated on the warm Indian Ocean, is never cold. It has wonderful all year-round sub-tropical temperatures. Summer is hot here and winter is warm. Summer can also be stormy with heavy rain and occasional storms that tend to occur late afternoon and into the evening. Winter is dry.
Our first night we were greeted, just after dark, by torrential warm rain. We had walked and explored on foot the relatively new promenade extension at the southern end of the city beaches. The beachfront promenade is the longest in sub-Sahara Africa, stretching some 8kms from top to bottom. We made our way to the harbour and onto Wilsons Wharf for late afternoon refreshments. The wharf is an ideal place to relax and listen to the ocean. From the moorings there are various boats and yachts offering cruises, sunset sundowners, ocean safaris and fishing excursions. It is also great place to people watch and check out what everyone is eating. Once fully refreshed, as good as all the food looked that we had watched, with rain in the air we decided to head towards our hotel and eat on route. We ate a late dinner at uShaka Moyo where we mixed meats, fresh fish & shellfish. I opted for the excellent beef dombolo as a main. A meaty stew served in a cast iron potjie pot accompanied by traditional dombolo dumplings.
Kingsmead Cricket Ground was our venue today. A place that had created so many memories for me since my first visit back in 1994. However today the weather was to be the winner. The one day international was late starting and shortly into the game became victim to a wash out. Not all was lost. We got to chat with locals and travelling England fans over a cold beer, talking all things cricket and travel. The highlight of the day was being to introduce Paul to a local speciality. We both tucked into a mutton bunnychow, a spicy curry served in a hollowed out half loaf of bread. As always there was a party atmosphere at the ground and even without cricket it went on well into the night.
A week later we were back again to watch England take on South Africa in a T20 International. And there was no sign of rain. Quite the opposite is was hot balmy summer evening. Even if you are not a cricket fan, which many of you are not, this is a great night out. It is an action-packed evening, and all done on the field in around three hours. We met up with Callum, my brother-in-law, and good friend Pete for the evening. Spending the night amongst fans and supporters of the opposition really adds to the overall experience. We found a place amongst the local families on the grass bank and settled in. After being entertained by Zulu dancers and drummers the action commenced in front of a sell out crowd. The atmosphere was electric and so was the cricket. We found ourselves caught up in the excitement. I even found myself caught on ‘dance cam’. Filmed dancing and broadcast to millions of viewers. England went on to win a thrilling encounter. It was not all about the victory, but it did add that bit extra to our night.
Staying at the Southern Sun Elangeni & Maharani Hotel made our visit extra special. The hotel located on north beach overlooking the Indian ocean was perfect for us. Not only is it situated within walking distance of the cricket ground, it is ideal for exploring the whole city and surrounding area. Durban holds a wealth of culture, heritage, and history. As a tourism slogan read, “Durban Has more”. Our luxurious, spacious, twin room had amazing views of the beach, grass areas, palm trees, piers, and promenade below. Beyond all of this, the warm Indian Ocean, where swimmers, boarders, paddlers and surfers took advantage of the warm water and breaking surf. All in all Durban is a great choice for holidaymakers and really is the warmest place to be.
When we are free to travel again think of Durban as a destination and a gateway to the province of KwaZulu Natal, the Zulu Kingdom. In my opinion the best all round province in South Africa.

Date of stay: February 2020
Nicole Munro, Other at Southern Sun Elangeni & Maharani, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2020

Thank you so much for such an amazing review on Durban and us .

Hope to see you soon back in SA, after the pandemic

Kind Regards

Reviewed 24 March 2020

Excellent service provided. I will recommend the hotel to any person who can afford the accommodation. It is a clean and a professional hotel that fits a profile of a 'want to have fun person". I like it.

Review collected in partnership with Tsogo Sun Hotels
Nicole Munro, Other at Southern Sun Elangeni & Maharani, responded to this reviewResponded 29 March 2020

Thank you for taking the time to complete your recent review and for the valuable feedback you have provided. We are delighted you loved your stay. We thank you for your patronage and look forward to welcoming you back to the Southern Sun Elangeni and Maharani .

Reviewed 17 March 2020

I enjoy a lot with my lovely wife. We have agreed to get membership card so that it will be easier to visit Durban and have accomodation that is suitable for lovers. Elangeni hotel is excellent. The breakfast was excellent

Review collected in partnership with Tsogo Sun Hotels

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review. We are delighted your enjoyed your stay with us.

We thank you for your patronage and look forward to welcoming you back to the Southern Sun Elangeni and Maharani.

Reviewed 15 March 2020

Thanks to Sueprstar Noma for a great and pleasant weekend

I was accommodated at the Maharani wing

I was extremely impressed with the manner in which the young lady , apologies I cant remember her name , managed my queries on Friday evening the 6 March . It was late in the evening and here comments to my questions abt my extension using Sun Rands was very detailed and assuring.

On morning of 7 March Noma at front desk was a super star.
Before breakfast I went to follow up on extension and she processed everything with such great efficiency. She also offered to get my flowers that were delivered to Eleangeni side and came into the breakfast room to assure me that it was with concierge. She even ensured that concierge help carry them to my car to take to a funeral.
I can see Noma going places . Take care of such model employees who serve you so well. Thanks Noma for making my weekend such an enjoyable and comfortable one.

You will note that I'm a frequent quest staying at Tsogosun at least 3 time s a month so I could easily identify the excellent level of service received .

Thanks

• Trip type: Travelled on business
2  Thank Sumayyasport

Thank you for taking the time to c review us . We are so delighted that you loved your stay with us . Your compliments on Noma will be passed onto her..

We thank you for your patronage and look forward to welcoming you back to the Southern Sun Elangeni and Maharani soon.

Reviewed 13 March 2020

Their service was excellent and my only problem was the size of the room. It was really small for a family of 4. I would also like to thank them for my sons surprise as it was his birthday, he was really happy

Review collected in partnership with Tsogo Sun Hotels

Thank you for taking the time to review us . We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and that we made your sons birthday so special.