All reviews medical staff exercise classes jet pool wholesome food facilities are great million miles busy life fresh fruit dedicated staff moment you arrive tranquil place weekend break world class go the extra mile reception staff spa treatments talks
Reviewed 28 July 2015

It feels like you are entering another planet as soon as you drive through the gates
at Hoogland Hydro.And you will not be disappointed...a whole new world of tender loving care and personal attention awaits you.I was looking for a getaway to rest for a couple of days and just to catch my breath after a extremely busy time.My blood pressure was down from 130/70 to 108/69 within two days.I needed some gentle exercise and I found the warm swimming pools, accompanied walks in the bush and yoga classes very therapeutic.Dr Andre who is one of the foremost experts on health issues in South Africa is an owner and available for consultation.If you are looking for a place to rest and recuperate,I cannot think of a better place in South Africa.I stayed in a double room at the front of the building on the first floor. Beautiful view.The vistas from everywhere on the property are divine.

• Stayed: July 2015, travelled solo
2  Thank Rose198
Reviewed 26 March 2015

This third generation family-run hydro is full of surprises. Everybody is so friendly
and helpful and the whole place is calm and serene, starting with the loveliest 2 ladies at reception, Elizabeth and Thato. All the beauty and massage therapists have golden hands and a full body massage is truly an out of body experience.
The hydro offers Turkish steam baths, saunas, sitz baths, Jacuzzis, jet pool and hot and cold swimming pools.
There are traditional and alternate therapists and medical staff, including a GP, Psychologist, mindfulness coach, Life coach, Hypnotherapist, Nutritionist, Biokineticist, Chiropractor, Traditional healer and Nursing sister.
The best feature of the hydro for me were the morning and afternoon walks. The paths are rocky up and downhill and fantastic for fitness and well-being. I joined the walks every day for three weeks with one of the experienced guides, each with their unique knowledge of the nature, history and wildlife. An unforgettable, life-changing experience.
The daily Joga classes by Julia are basic, but what a great work-out for body and mind.
The hydro meals are served as an all day buffet and comprise mainly of fresh fruit and delectable salads. Mineral water bottles on the farm is freely available.
Every afternoon and evening there was a talk or workshop - I enjoyed the talks about stress management, mindful eating, rules of the mind and food prep and aromatherapy workshops.
Wildlife roam freely and include monkeys, baboons, antelope, zebra and wildebeest. The farm has a rich history going back 200 billion years, and includes traces of early civilization and farming, Boer war history and destruction by humans in the last century.
This is a FIVE STAR establishment, but unfortunately the buildings have not been well-maintained, the décor is dated and the rooms and bathrooms need a desperate renovation. For this reason I rated it 3 stars.
Thanks to all the staff at Hoogland for an amazing three weeks. I made many friends here and I will definitely be back and highly recommend it for leisure or relaxation, wellness, recuperation from illness, weight loss, beauty therapy or just a darn good holiday.

Room Tip: Rooms close to reception have access to Wi-Fi, Higher floors are less noisy.
  • Stayed: March 2015, travelled with family
5  Thank Maretha H
Reviewed 16 January 2015

I had not been to Hoogland for 6 years and was pleased to go back and find that the services offered were now better, more varied and more professional. The staff were going out of their way to help. The daily meditation,nature walks and yoga were very good. The pools, steam bath and gym offer good supplementary treatments and a visit to Dr Andre will keep you posted as to your state of health.Finally, the rooms are nice and clean and from your window, you may see the blue wildebeests on the lawn.
I recommend Hoogland.
Marc Hein

Room Tip: Chose rooms with a view on the park facing north. If possible on the ground or first floor. Bring your bathing costume.
  • Stayed: January 2015, travelled solo
2  Thank marcuspollux
Reviewed 5 September 2014

It is a lovely place to be in touch with your inner soul and nature, if you want to be away from the busy life and need to introspect and put things into perspective with yourself then this is the place. you will detox all the ''not so good things'' we pile into our systems and you will leave this place healthy conscious. the nature walks climbing the mountain hills was the best. Healthy eating and living is the theme right through your stay.

Room Tip: upper levels for stunning views of the mountain hills
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Jabulan1
Reviewed 1 September 2014

Arrived at 1 PM in time for a massage I had booked. The lobby, as is much of the accommodation, is a wonderful throwback to the 70's. Many may not like it I thought it was really sweet. Check in courteous and quick. The room complete with shaggy blue carpet and 70's wood was extremely clean and comfortable.

The therapy area is as good as any i have visited anywhere clean as can be. Massage was great and relaxing. Caitlin is very good.

The hydro section is also dated but has everything, I used sauna, steam room and jacuzzi all perfect. There is a freezing cold outside pool by the steam and sauna and is worth a quick dip after the heat! Leaves you tingling and feeling great. There is also 2 pools in the hydro area one warm the other not cold but cooler. The warm complete with jets for a massage effect. I took part in the aqua aerobics and was pleasantly surprised at level of intensity thereof. Again I must say the level of cleanliness is brilliant.

On the exercise front I visited the gym, somewhat limited but ok it is possibly the only part of Hoogland which needs some updating. I also walked the grounds. The setting is worth mentioning. It is 1hour from Johannesburg but could be a million miles. It looks and feels like Africa. "I had a farm in Africa" was what sprung to mind. I met a kudu, a wildebeest and the resident troop of baboons on my walks. Awesome!

Food is healthy, tasty and plentiful. It is not gourmet and do not go if that is an issue. What it is, is wholesome and nutritious. It is also 24 hour! I arrived one night at 1AM and found plenty fresh fruit and even had a bowl of soup.

The resort has various therapies, even hypno, psychologists a doctor a nursing sister etc etc. I never tried any but I would imagine all professional and helpful. I did however visit the physio. He was absolutely world class and one of the best I have seen. Unfortunately he is leaving and I hope will be replaced with a similar expert.

Staff are wonderful and friendly so sweet and kind. The benefits of training and clearly keeping staff happy is obvious to any who have experience of hotels and resorts.

Perhaps a little expensive for locals but compared to similar European setups an absolute bargain! Cost me $500 that included all accommodation in an upgraded north facing room, all food, 3 massages and 2 visits to the physio. Unlimited use of the hydro and any activities or talks that are arranged daily. I would go every weekend if I could afford it.

Ah the joys of visiting a family owned place are so many! They love the joint and frankly so do I!! Great stuff thanks Hoogland see you soon.

Room Tip: My tip would be thus. You will not spend much time in the room! There is no elevator so downstairs is not a bad plan. North facing costs a bit more and maybe worth having.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo