All reviewsbeautiful propertyrooms are largehome away from hometop classgreat place to staybusiness tripafricaprosfireplaceconsinternet
Reviewed 31 May 2018 via mobile

No porter and receptionist very reluctant to arrange. No water in room. Gate procedure a shambles. Breakfast supposed to be until 10 but filter coffee taken away by 9. Had to ask both days for non decaf instant sachets instead. Evening meal ok but vegetables served cold. Says on booking that evening meal 170 rand per person. Untrue, that’s for one course. Asked for bill to be charged in rand (prepaid card) - charged in pounds at an additional cost. If this is their idea of a top class hotel with fine dining they’re living in ‘cloud cuckoo land’. AVOID.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 May 2018

The hotel is okay but I suggest staying elsewhere if that is an option. The rooms are fine; I had some problems but nothing significant other than the tv. Tv faces the wall in a separate area and cannot be seen from the bed which is a problem if you want to watch tv in bed, the channel selections are very limited and the tv quality is horrible. The “buzzing” from the set was sometimes louder than the volume coming from the tv program that was airing.

I needed an iron and was brought one which spewed dirty liquid on my white top so I couldn’t wear it until I got it back from being laundered TWO days later. When I brought it to the attn of the staff, I was told “yeah, that iron is broken...” I was brought a newer iron and when that one didn’t work, I was told “the problem is with the electrical outlets in the rooms because they don’t always work.”

The hotel is located in a residential area and so for me I needed to eat breakfast and dinner there. The hotel caters to outside events which take priority over the overnight guests. Therefore three of the five nights I had to eat breakfast in my room because the public areas were being used by a conference, baby shower, and one year olds birthday party. Three of the five nights I was there dinner wasn’t available until AFTER the events held there were over. Although dinner is said to be available starting at 5 pm, on these nights dinner was not available until 7:30 pm and guests are not informed of this earlier in the day so they could make alternative plans. When I did eat dinner there, the food was SO BAD that three of the five nights I ate food that I purchased earlier in the day. It appeared to me that the staff knew of these problems but, because of management, their hands were tied.

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Villa S, Owner at Villa Sterne, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2018

Dear Valued Guest,

I appreciate you taking your valuable time to bring these issues to my attention. I would like to address several of the issues and assure you that we are committed to providing a home away from home experience at Villa Sterne.

The hotel offers both executive suites and standard rooms. The executive rooms are on suite and have a full lounge and bedroom. Therefore; we only have high definition televisions, with premier viewing package, in the lounge for our guests. The channels cover local and international news, movies, entertainment and sports. The standard rooms have a bedroom with a desk and offer viewing of television from the bed. I have made sure that all the televisions have been reset to ensure the quality of the pictures and sound.

Villa Sterne offers same day laundry service that is done on the premises. We also provide dry cleaning services through the use of an outside company. In addition, we offer the use of irons for our in house guests. All of the irons are new and I am surprised by your experience. I have made sure all of the irons have been checked to ensure they are working properly.

Villa Sterne is located in a high market value residential area with complimentary shuttle service to many of the local attractions to include the malls, restaurants, golf courses, train station, etc. In addition, we serve complimentary continental breakfast, lunch and dinner to our in-house guests. We have two private chefs on staff who personally design the daily menu as well as address everyone’s individual dietary needs. The dinner menu provides for a range of starters, entrees and desserts reflective to the culinary delights found across South Africa.

Villa Sterne offers an array of experiences such as conferencing and events. We accommodate most of our visitors either in the conference room and or dining room for this activities. Therefore; we are prepared to offer several options for a dinner venue to include the outdoor veranda, private dining room with fireplace and or room service to our in-house guests. I have begun the process of notifying our guests with a letter in advance of any planned conferences or events in order to allow them to make the appropriate arrangements.

In closing, the management and staff would like to offer our sincere apologies for any inconveniences experienced during your stay at Villa Sterne. We hope you will give us another opportunity to be your home away from home when you visit us again in South Africa.

Kind Regards,
Management

Reviewed 7 April 2018 via mobile

Villa Sterne

A beautiful property. They have two kinds of rooms - one within their own building, and the other, they call that a "cottage", when it actually is more like an out house really. These cottage rooms are not good, and they tried to give me that room. Make sure that you stay in a room inside of their Villa.

Overall a good place to stay and I would recommend it.

Pros:
The rooms itself are fantastically done up and very comfortable. Also there is an excellent view from the first floor.

The staff is helpful and courteous. There were some screw ups when I checked in and I had to change 3 rooms before I could settle down. To compensate for that, the manager offered me dinner on the house

I had dinner for 2 days, and the chef was able to get something that was vegetarian.

Cons

I came in around 9:30pm, and their kitchen had closed by then. So I couldn't get anything to eat after a long flight into s Africa - in that sense I am not sure how this place is a five star hotel

They place is thinly staffed and people do multiple roles....the service during dinner for instance was not good during one of the nights

There is nothing within walking distance and you will need a cab to venture out

WiFi was weak in my room. I was there on work and my VPN connection kept getting disconnected.

There are certainly improvement areas, but this is an incredibly beautiful property and this overlooks the negatives, which I think can be addressed without too much of a hassle.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

The rooms are large, clean and very comfortable. The staff are friendly and helpful. Great breakfast and beautiful views. Everything you need for a business trip or weekend getaway. Will definitely return if I’m ever in Pretoria.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled on business
Villa S, Manager at Villa Sterne, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2018

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for the review. We do appreciate your time and kind words. We are delighted that you enjoy your stay with us. We are looking forward to welcome you back.

Reviewed 24 March 2018

The hotel is in a wonderful and safe location on Waterkloof Ridge and the service provided by the staff was always excellent, although the bar closes at 10pm and the restaurant is quite limited and quiet.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Villa S, Manager at Villa Sterne, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2018

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for the review and kind words.

Regarding our bar service we have staff on duty from 06:00 - 22:00 so when the staff clock out the Villa does get locked. We offer a fresh menu everyday therefore we do not have a lot on the menu. The chef would prepare a few selected meals based on what we got in fresh from the market for the day.

We are delighted however that you did enjoy your stay with us.

Regards,