“World Class Botanical Garden”

Kirstenbosch National Botanical Garden
Ranked #1 of 7 things to do in Newlands
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Situated on the eastern slopes of Table Mountain, Kirstenbosch is internationally acclaimed as one of the seven most magnificent botanical gardens in the world. The 528 hectares estate includes a cultivated garden and a nature reserve. The developed garden displays collections of southern African plants including many rare and endangered species. There are also visitor facilities in the garden including restaurants, a nursery, a gift shop, a bookshop and a permanent Zimbabwean stone sculpture exhibition.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Baby buggy parking, Lockers / storage, Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Food available for purchase
Reviewed 31 May 2018

Part of the UNESCO World Heritage Cape Floral Region site, Kirstenbosch is a sprawling, well thought out garden in a spectacular setting. You could spend days wandering through here and still not see it all. I would like to return in the spring when everything is in flower and spend another glorious day meandering through the gardens.

Write a ReviewReviews (9,195)
All reviews
in 74 reviews
"south africa"
in 132 reviews

Reviewed 30 May 2018

So my husband and I went during a break in my conference. The weather wasn't perfect with quite a bit of drizzle. Perhaps take a raincoat if visiting in winter or if the weather indicated possible rain. I can imagine it would be spectacular in good weather.

The cafe was simple, but adequate for a drink and coffee. Pleasant staff.

We decided to purchase a shuttle tour due to rain and my husband's visual disability. This was great. Harold took us around and was very knowledgeable. He also stopped and gave my husband a sensory tour of different plants with fragrances. He was really lovely. There is a self-guided walk for visually impaired, but the weather did not allow us to try it.

The gift shop has some lovely items and I picked up a few items for gifts. Prices are a little above the norm, but I like the selection.

Entry ZAR65. ZAR120 guided tour on large golf cart style vehicle- departs every hour.

We took an Uber approx ZAR120 from CTICC (Conference Centre). If you want to enjoy a walk around the gardens or enjoy Botanic Gardens this is a lovely way to spend a few hours half a day.

Reviewed 30 May 2018

My 6 year old and I recently visited during a week long visit in Cape Town. The location of this garden on the backside of Table Mountain frames the beautiful landscaping. The whole layout of the gardens is done well. The Boomslang raised walk way is a fun way to get a different view of the gardens and beyond (on a clear day you can see for miles). There is also a large outdoor stage, on which my daughter gave me an impromptu performance. We easily spent 30 minutes just in the gift shop--and I did not leave without purchasing a few things. You can pay extra for a golf-cart shuttle that can take guests around -- we opted to walk.

Reviewed 30 May 2018

This is one of the best botanical gardens I've ever been to. Sprawling in size, full of indigenous flowers, beautifully laid out... You could spend an entire day here easily. A must-see if you are in Cape Town.

1  Thank Brett M
See more reviews
Reviewed 29 May 2018

This is our third visit to gardens and we cannot express how stunning they are, you have to visit to appreciate them. Be prepared for a steep walk uphill if you want to see the Protea gardens. There are also walking routes into the foothills of Table puntain. The coffee shop sells delicious snacks and the restaurant excellent meals. The ground staff are very friendly and will answer questions ; you can also go on an organised tour. Check website for tmrw’s. The gift shop is also one of the nicest I have ever been to, the quality and variety of the merchandise is first class.