“Fun”

The Thing
Ranked #5 of 18 things to do in Benson
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: What is The Thing? Come and see for yourself. It is 17 miles east of Benson and about 40 miles east of Tucson on Interstate 10 (Exit 322). Look around the spacious gift shop and purchase a few gifts, a couple of pieces of Indian Handmade or jewelry, pottery, year round fireworks or one of the many other items available at this location. The full museum is currently undergoing a massive renovation and will reopen later in 2018, but THE THING is still on display! Grab an Ultimate Burger or a cold DQ BLIZZARD at the Dairy Queen located right next door. This location also offers self-serve Shell fuel with 24 hr. pay at the pump service. Are you in the need of Diesel? Get it here!
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed 2 May 2018 via mobile

When I started seeing signs for The Thing I recalled my cousin’s husband telling me the story of his childhood family road trips. He talked about seeing the signs and how it wasn’t really a spectacular thing to see, but I couldn’t remember what he said The Thing was. So we went to see The Thing...and it wasn’t spectacular, but the store was adorable and we found plenty of treasures. I love the incense I found, and my kids love their treasures. The Thing will definitely be a traditional stop when we are in the area. Oh! And the women’s bathroom in the trailer out front was clean and comfortable!

GinaP975, Guest Relations Manager at The Thing, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2018

We are glad you enjoyed your visit! It seems that you came at a time when we were remodeling, so we look forward to seeing you again so that you can check out our completed new restrooms and our brand new museum.

All reviews
"grand canyon"
"dq"
in 17 reviews

Reviewed 1 April 2018

Easy on and off access from the Interstate in a remote area of Arizona. Gas, Restrooms, Dairy Queen for food and ice cream, jewelry, souvenirs and "The Thing" can be found here along with a very friendly staff. It is undergoing a large expansion but is still in full operation.

3  Thank Steven P
GinaP975, Guest Relations Manager at The Thing, responded to this reviewResponded 22 June 2018

Thanks for stopping by. We hope to see you again!

Reviewed 29 March 2018

Disappointing right now (Mar/Apr 2018) as the "museum" part where "The Thing" is usually housed is under construction. If you go to the far left back of the store, "The Thing" is there in a wooden box. Doesn't work as well without all the mystique and museum around it. Can't wait to see what it looks like after the construction.

We can't wait to see you again after all of the renovations are complete and we invite you to review your impressions of The Thing when you return. Sorry that you were here during our "transition period."

Reviewed 22 March 2018 via mobile

This place was a joke to me. It was just a run-down souvenir shop with dairy queen in it. And gas pumps outside. I think it’s the only souvenir shop in this area so if you’re into these things, maybe worth your time checking it out. In my opinion, it’s a waste of time.