Hotels.com
Hotel Belvedere - Playa Samara(Playa Samara)(Great Value!)
Hotels.com
Hotel Samara Pacific Lodge(Playa Samara)(Great Value!)
Hotels.com
Hotel Giada(Playa Samara)(Great Value!)
Hotels.com
Hostel Matilori(Playa Samara)(Great Value!)
Villas Kalimba(Playa Samara)
TripAdvisor
Samara Palm Lodge(Playa Samara)
TripAdvisor
Lodge Las Ranas(Playa Samara)
1,027 results
All reviewsswim up barall inclusive packagewild horsesair canadacosta ricabeachfront villaall inclusive plansmaller resortgreat resortadventure tourwear water shoesbar tenderfacing the oceanhorseback ridingchora islandzip lininglow tide
Reviewed 17 March 2018

One word; Outstanding! I visited Costa Rica for the fist time last week. I chose Hotel Villas Playa Samara for my accommodations. The resort is well located, a few minutes from the small town of Samara and offers a wide variety of activities and excursions on site or nearby. The warm welcome and level of service was exceptional from the first day I arrived right to my last hour waiting for my departure shuttle. Andre was at reception when I arrived after a delayed flight and a long day of travel. He immediately asked he wanted something to eat, drink and if there was anything they could do to make my arrival comfortable. I was so appreciative for this warm welcome. I was very pleased with my room; modern, well appointed, clean and comfortable. The housekeeping was also exceptional; my room was cleaned and refreshed daily. The property was quite beautiful and well maintained. The beach and surroundings were also beautiful. The variety of dishes served at the buffet could please any palate, the 'à la carte' selection was also impressive. However, what made my stay that much more outstanding was the level of attention displayed by all the resort personnel; Andre, Danny, Thaddeus, Victoria, Marco, to name a few of the wonderful persons I had the pleasure of meeting during my stay. Kuddos to you all, you made me feel like family and made my vacation outstanding! Merci beaucoup et à bientôt! Gracias and Pura Vida to you all!

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled solo
2  Thank Lise G
Thaddeus H, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Villas Playa Samara, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2018

Dear Lise G,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences with us here on Tripadvisor. I am very pleased to know that our staff made a memorable stay for you. It means a lot to us that you enjoyed your time here at Villas Playa Samara! We will be waiting for you on your next trip to Samara.

Reviewed 16 March 2018 via mobile

I would like to start off by saying this was the most amazing place to stay clean friendly helpful every question you have is answered before you even get to ask it every single need you have is met, anything you want to do they accommodate you. I would send every single person I know to this place if you are looking to go on tours get a hold of a gentleman named Ever, he is the up most amazing tour organizer if there is any issues they go out of their way and beyond to accommodate your needs.. they make sure that you are 100% satisfied they will not stop until you are there is a lady that works there named Victoria she is amazing her and her husband make that place what it is. And a big thank you to all the staff that was ever so helpful thank you for everything. The place was very clean and modern the beach was beautiful. the food was amazing.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
2  Thank Shaunna F

Dear Ms. Shaunna F,

Thank you very much for your wonderful review and for sharing your experience with others here on Trip Advisor. It means a lot to us that you had an amazing time here at Villas Playa Samara! We love to read how much you enjoyed your stay and hope to be able to see you very soon.

Pura Vida,

Thaddeus Hoffmann

Reviewed 14 March 2018

Travelled on an AC all inclusive package. This is a great deal for the cost! Food and water quality were excellent. There was always salad, local fruit and some basic things for picky eaters. Quality over quantity is always a good thing. The resort is kept quite clean. Smaller resorts with fewer options are sometimes better than trying to do too much . The location was great and an easy walk to Samara. Swimming on this beach is quite safe once you learn the tidal patterns. There is no shortage of things to do. Yes, there is some construction next door but the current prices are reduced! I think people who are complaining may have never truly stayed at a real 5 star resort and may have limited travel experience. Costa Rica is not cheap and with travel to and from the airport included this was a great last minute steal. For the most part it was great for adults . There were not many undisciplined children so it we enjoyed it.

Room Tip: AC had a reduced cost of this package. Local roads take time to travel on. Upgrade to an ocean view villa if you can afford it.
  • Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Debra K
Thaddeus H, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Villas Playa Samara, responded to this reviewResponded 16 March 2018

Dear Debra K,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review of our property, your comments are very much valued. We really appreciate your comments regarding our customer service and our beautiful resort. Our staff members take their roles in our industry very seriously and try, every day, to provide that quality customer service, that our guests expect. Thank you once again, and we look forward to seeing you on your next trip to Samara.

Reviewed 11 March 2018

I really enjoyed my stay at this hotel. I loved the fact that it is a small property and the walk to the beach just takes a minute or two. All the staff were warm and friendly and helpful. The food was good. We went on several excursions set up by Monkey Tours and they were great! The water pressure and temperature was inconsistent. There seemed to be a shortage of linens especially facecloths. Aside from those items, it was ok. I would not hesitate to recommend this property to people who are looking for a small and quiet hotel.

Room Tip: Request a room on the opposite side from the construction. If you want two big beds, you have to request them.
  • Stayed: February 2018, travelled with family
Thaddeus H, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Villas Playa Samara, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2018

Dear pillar2018,

Thank you very much for sharing your travel experience with others here on Tripadvisor. We are glad you were able to enjoy your stay and can assure you I will be personally investigating with housekeeping team to make sure we are stocking all is needed in the rooms, once again we thank you for your candid response and we encourage you to join us hopefully in the near future.

Reviewed 9 March 2018 via mobile

We arrived in to Liberia and found the airport to be very clean and the customs folks very welcoming, the Air Canada representative from Swiss Travel and the mini bis driver were both very nice to speak with and the driver was not a crazy driver. The drive take two hours or more if it is in the afternoon, when more vehicles, horses and pedestrians are on the roadways, lot of twists, turns and lush landscape to take in of not during the dry season. Hotel has a welcoming main gate, construction was evidently immediately upon entering the main gate - which I had already read about from other Trip Advisor reviews, lobby was quaint, small open air, we were met with welcome drinks and a hot towel. There were 3 doing check ins an it didn't take long, our bags were delivered to the room. In general we found the workers to be friendly, like many have stated there are areas that require attention and improvements for sure, somethings are a little dated, the gym equipment is essentially not functioning, there were no entertainment staff, or events during the day, the buffet while small was typically tasty food, I did find various stations if nobody was at the pool bar, or omelet grill in the mornings, the person posted to that station frequently left their post, that said as it is a small, quiet property, there workers could be seen working other task. There was food out in the buffet for snack time and far longer hours than advertised which was good, some days lunch was buffet and other days a la carte, with some items not available. We had the basic economy room with the deal for the kids, it had been renovated, bed, pillows and linens were very comfortable and the room and property itself, very quiet, the bar does close at 11 PM. We met some really nice folks from Canada and of course they was lots of loud, demanding, obnoxious Americans, thankfully for short durations. There were some locals staying there on weekend deals, they were also friendly and nice to talk to. There were not any activities for young children, a small section of one end of the pool was good for the little ones. There was some construction noise during the day, but with in a couple of hours after sunset, work would be completely stop, depending on the stage of the construction this will change. The beach was very deep at low tide. You can walk to town during low tide down the beach, be cautious around the stream/brook/river towards town, there is an alligator or crocodile living there. We found people in town in the friendly enough and never felt unsafe, or threatened in anyway, it is also a cheap cab ride to or from town. We did n excursion from the Air Canada Flight, again Swiss Travel, the Palo Verde tour, where we got to see lots of local wildlife.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
Thaddeus H, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Villas Playa Samara, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2018

Thank you very much for sharing the travel experience you had with here at Trip Advisor. We are glad you and your family were able to enjoy your stay and can assure you I will be personally investigating with Food & Beverage team to make sure we are stocking all is needed in both restaurants, once again we thank you for your candid response and we encourage you to join us hopefully in the near future.