La Gaviota Tropical(Playa Hermosa)
  • Pool
Villa del Sueno(Playa Hermosa)
  • Pool
Hotel El Velero(Playa Hermosa)
Hotel ManGaby(Playa Hermosa)
Hotels.com
Condovac la Costa(Playa Hermosa)
Villa Acacia(Playa Hermosa)
Hotels.com
Hermosa Heights Villas(Playa Hermosa)
1,358 results
All reviewsswim up barall inclusive packagebedroom villaa la carte restaurantswiss travelcosta ricawet barnegative reviewsdifferent themeprivate poolmain barpura vidaeach mealbeans and ricehotel lobbynice resorthot springs
Reviewed 6 June 2016

RCI did say this resort is on a hill, so we did know that upfront. The hotel room was okay, but both mattresses need to be replaced. Housekeeping replenished our towels daily, sometimes the towels arrived a little later, but as soon as laundry had them ready, we had towels. The resort needs to update/replace the locks on the units as several guests repeatedly got locked out of their units (us as well) as the keycards weren't working... very frustrating. I agree with some other reviews concerning the food: breakfast was good (they did have an omelet station which was fantastic), the evening buffets were so-so, and the a la carte special restaurant (which you are only allowed to eat at once a week) had excellent food and service. We heard the excursions were great, but we are not as young as we used to be so we rented a car for 2 days and went to a waterfall and scouted out a couple of beaches...all of which were awesome.

• Stayed: May 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 June 2016

We just returned from 7 nights in Playa Hermosa at Villas Sol Resort. Overall we had a great time and enjoyed the resort. We stayed at the hotel and had the all inclusive option. The room was pretty standard but with a great view but we spent very little time there and pretty much only slept there. The staff was great and a big shout out to Steven at the front desk who helped us a lot and gave us great advice on where to visit in the area since we had a rental car. The food at the buffet restaurant was hit or miss. Breakfast was always good but lunches were so so. Dinners were usually good and BBQ night was great. I will say that perhaps the theme night dinners should be retired. I didnt go to CR to eat Italian food. The beach area was small but nice and we didnt mind the shuttle. We did find some secluded, very nice beach areas nearby where we snorkeled (Thanks Steven!) We also drove to Monteverde, RIncon and Tamarindo on day trips and saw some fantastic things. If you dont have a car, you can book trips but be aware these are $$ and will start very early and be all day since you cant drive anywhere in CR quickly as there are so few roads. If you want to just stay at the resort and relax you can but note that if you want a lot of activities to do, stay somewhere else. The pools were clean and very empty while we were there. Our favorite was the quiet pool and bar area for relaxation and our bar guy Ivan took exceptional care of us and introduced us to many new drinks. Bottom line: Villas Sol is a great value, clean resort with good staff and good if not exceptional food. However, if you are looking for a resort where you dont need to ever leave the resort, this may not be ideal due to the lack of activities. Try the Chili water and say Hola to Ivan for us.

• Stayed: May 2016, travelled with family
2  Thank Brian L
Reviewed 27 May 2016 via mobile

What's important to you when you go on an all-inclusive vacation?

For me it's food, accommodations, staff customer service and entertainment. Sounds like a lot but it's not. The least of these is will give you a 3+. So let's see why I have given this resort a 2, even though it should be a 1.5.

Staff:
The staff in general was good to me and my girlfriend. 3 drivers of the shuttle cars were exceptional, especially a younger guy. He couldn't speak much English but he and I connected and tried to have some conversations (it's my fault my Spanish is horrible). The a la carte restaurant staff amazing, they tried to help my Spanish and the food and atmosphere was great. But I have to say the tall manager in the buffet restaurant and chef amazing. But I'll touch on why in the food section. Front desk, two members stand out that I had to deal with. Neither names I remember, but one was from Seattle and the other just has a warm welcoming smile. Thank you guys (unless I called you on the phone and you tried to lie about my issue being handled)

Accommodation:
Very clean resort, I must say. The welcome package says that our Villa would be cleaned every other day, but our housekeeper I guess noticed me running everyday and ensured we had fresh towels everyday she was amazing (I guess I should go back and add this to the staff part…. Nah you were awesome thank you)

However, with the welcome package it told us to check the stalk in our room, well I counted the towels and pillows and then checked the fridge, which I found to be empty. I thought that was weird since this was an all-inclusive resort vacation. I waited till after dinner to see if it was stalked and nothing. So I called the front desk and was told we don't get nothing in our fridge. Ok this is weird, it's an all-inclusive vacation resort and no mini fridge? So why is there a fridge in our room? Now if I wanted a drink I had to walk to the bar or drink water from the tap? (Water from the tap was fine.) Do they know where my room is to the bar(s) of course they do, they put me there. So I asked couples I met who stayed in the hotel section and they got a big old empty fridge as well. Ok now there is an issue. I was booked in villa 68-3 (see map) this is near the top of the resort which is located on a hill/mountain whatever, so to get refreshments when I was in my room relaxing I have to walk down and back up a hill/mountain or wait 25mins for the shuttle to come around and then wait 25mins or more to go back. Not acceptable. So I went to front desk who told me to ask a bartender to fill up a bottle of water for me or I can buy water from the mini market on the resort. Really? I paid for an all-inclusive resort vacation not this so-called All-inclusive. So I left the resort and supported the local grocery store and bought water and juice for my girlfriend spending 15$ Canada for a case of 12 water and a 1.5ltr aloe juice. So disappointed.

Entertainment:
There was none that I witnessed on the resort and there is absolutely nothing around to do, so if you're looking to have a great time at night, not this resort. The bar closes at 12:30am there is not snacks or food after the buffet closes. Which leads me to my next point.

Food:
If you have dietary restrictions, don't go here. The buffet is small, it has limited options for food. Usually one protein max two options at a time. The salad bar/bread/dessert section is equally as limited. Ham is found in almost every dish and not listed as an ingredient when you're looking at what to eat. So times you don't see it depending on what it is. I had an issue where the pasta option said “3 cheese pasta” so I was like perfect, after two days of only eating meat, tomatoes and cucumbers. I scooped some in my plate, I looked closely at my food and noticed pieces of ham. So in frustration scraped the pasta back into the tray. A manager saw this and asked me what's wrong. I quickly advised that I don't eat pork and this dish did not say that it contained pork products in it. In fact nothing stated that pork was in anything. He quickly apologized and went to the kitchen asking the chef to make me a personal plate of pasta. I appreciate that very much. But everything had pork in it one day or another. I had a chick pea salad for lunch, by dinner they added ham to it. The next day I skipped the chick pea salad and went to the seafood salad which again after scooping up some noticed, that's right. Ham, ham in the seafood salad. Not happy. The only positive food experience I had was at the only al a cart restaurant. The food there was impeccable and the service amazing. I wish I could have eaten there every night instead of the ham buffet. Not to mention, I didn't have to deal with blue Jay's flying into the restaurant eating off plates and serving spoons. So not cool.

All in all because I have fun every where I go, I had a good time. I met some good people and enjoyed the weather and the pool every day. But this is a limited all-inclusive resort, with limited food options, no entertainment with decent service. I won't even mention the countless bugs that got into my room from the baseboards keeping me up at night from scratching. Nope I won't even mention it. 2 stars is a stretch. Sorry Villa Sol, So long.

Stayed: May 2016, travelled as a couple
7  Thank lookwherethisguybeen
Reviewed 26 May 2016 via mobile

We chose Villas Sol mainly because they were the only RCI resort that offered the "all-inclusive" as an option rather than a requirement. We stayed in a 1 bedroom villa which we definitely were not impressed with. There were 3 of us staying in the room which required one of us to stay on a couch/futon-type deal. No big deal, however the mattress on this thing was filthy! The bed, on the other hand, was fine. Additionally, when we had checked in I had asked if our villa had a balcony/deck with a nice view. They assured me that we would have a lovely view from our deck/balcony...not true! We saw a retaining wall...that's it. The resort itself has a beautiful view of the ocean!
The beach area is nice and quiet. The tours we took from the resort were the sailing & snorkeling, Congo (zip lining) and Palo Verde. I'd recommend all but the Palo Verde. Sailing & snorkeling and the Congo w/animal sanctuary were awesome! There is a tour service on Playa Hermosa-Mardigi Tours. Go check them out! We heard fantastic things about their tours.
There is no WiFi in the villas...only the hotel and that is not free. This did not really bother me much because part of my reason for going on vacation was to get away. However, I can see how this could be a significant issue for those that still need to maintain contact with those at home or work.
The food was good and all of the food service, bar and shuttle staff were fantastic! The staff in the reception/check-in however could not care less about your concerns! It's crazy to see how different the staff in the different areas treat you.
All in all, this place is decent, but there are definitely things I would change if I return to this resort.

Stayed: May 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 May 2016 via mobile

We went to Liberia - Costa Rica on May 14 to May 20- 2016. We stayed at Villas Sol Hotel and Beach Resorts . We had a time share and we used that to stay here .

First of all we went with lot of apprehensions and mixed feelings after reading some review on trip advisor . We went with muddled head . But contrary to that our stay was very pleasant and comfortable and fulfilling .

It started of well right from our airport pick-ups on Saturday May 14 , absolutely no problem and there were various other families or couples picked Round the same time . The drive to the resort about 40 mts . We checked - in and rooms allotted and prepaid restaurant deposit made and accordingly the tag was put on our wrists . .Beautifully located over looking the beach at Playa Hermosa , this Villas Sol is a self-contained place .
We had a enjoyable stay , the rooms are located at a hight and on a mountain terrain and each room has a view to the beach . There are shuttles plying frequently for pick ups and drops with in the resort and the beach .
The rooms were comfortable , the linens and towels all chAnged and cleaned thoroughly . The day times are so hot and humidity high but we decided to stay indoors on those days and stepped a little after the noon time . After rains it gets cooler . The restaurant food is OK and the staffs are very friendly and helpful all around the resort . .
An ideal location and the beach was good . We had an enjoyable stay in this resort . Costa Rica is beautiful . Pura Vida - pure life . We had no complaints as such .
Loved our one week stay . We took a tour of the Monte Verde cloud forest and we took the tour from the "Madigi tours ", who gave us a good deal . Watched the sunset by the beach , we got our drinking water cans and other eateries from the stores located near the reception and one near the beach . Very convenient . No complaints .

Stayed: May 2016, travelled with family