4,781 results
All reviews royal beach club room service erik garcia zip lining swim up bar swiss travel costa rica dinner reservations pizza our honeymoon italian restaurant main pool hot springs pura vida all inclusives make reservations horseback riding
Reviewed 29 May 2018 via mobile

My husband and I spent an early anniversary at this resort and it was perfect! From the moment we arrived we felt welcomed and relaxed. All of the staff, and I mean ALL, were so friendly, helpful and a joy to be with. Our first room was beautiful! A large suite next to the main pool, many restaurants and a short walk to the beach. The suite had a large sun room, a living room area, a small “kitchenette” with fridge, sink, coffee maker and table to eat at, the bathroom was large and clean and the bed was in an elevated area looking over the sitting area to the sun room. We went to dinner at the Asian restaurant located down the road from our room, before leaving we called concierge to check on the AC in our room which didn’t seem to be working. While we were at dinner the concierge tracked us down at the restaurant we were eating at and told us they were going to have to move us from our room because our AC was broken. I was so upset because I loved our room and location but the Westin staff was soooo amazing and did anything they could to make the rest of our stay perfect. I literally cried while sliding my clothes into my suitcase to be moved to another room but my goodness the Westin staff went over and above to accommodate us!! We were moved to The Royal Beach Club which was even more beautiful and perfect! Our room was on the third floor over looking the pool, it was a spacious room with a beautiful bathroom and a huge soaking tub! The RBC has its own private pool and is adults only (the other pool was huge and we would always find a nice spot away from screaming splashing kids) if I had known when I booked there was an adults only area of the resort I would have booked there first! It also had its own private buffet for breakfast and lunch then in the evening it was an Italian restaurant for the entire resort. There were at least 7 different restaurants on the resort we didn’t eat at all of them but the ones we did were great. The servers always had drink and food recommendations. One thing we were bad about was making reservations a day or so before, the restaurants filled up quickly. One nice thing about the Royal Beach Club was each tower had its own personal concierge that would help with that and anything else you would need! At first the resort seemed huge but once we got use to the layout we stopped using the friendly shuttles to get around on to walking to wherever we needed to go. We also had a couples massage and a 30 minutes add on treatment. Every day the spa had a special running. The spa was beautiful and so clean! Our massage therapists were wonderful! My husband had a 30 min foot refresh scrub (which he said great and needed every week) after our hour massage and I had an amazing facial which smelled like bananas. We both left there so relaxed without a care in the world. We did rent a car to explore but we only left the resort once to go to a nearby town which we didn’t stay long at. The resort has everything you need! Even the beach outside the resort was clean and not busy, you just had to push your way through the venders selling goods right outside the resort (all the beaches are public) once you got past them it was picture perfect! I would absolutely recommend this resort to families (very family friendly) or couples looking to get away. I hope we’ll be back very soon and hopefully get a round of golf in!

Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Kelsi W
Reviewed 28 May 2018

This is my first all-inclusive stay. I usually don't stay in places like this, preferring to experience the country I visit rather than live in an American-style bubble abroad. But if this is your thing you'll like it.

This place is expensive but when you factor in meals it's actually not bad.

Recommendations:
1. If you are booking multiple rooms, make sure you request they be adjacent in advance. You may have to repeat this several times and may have a problem if you are booking during the high season (like now).

2. Do what everyone else recommends and reserve your dinner reservations will in advance.

3. Beach access is a little confusing. Once you leave the resort go straight ahead and to the left. That area is where most guests hang out. To the right is where the locals go. We spent most of the trip on the "right" which was fine by me.

4. Fly into Liberia and book the shuttle offered by the hotel. At $240 round trip for an hour journey it's high but easy and there are no taxis hanging outside the resort as there are in other places.

As a non-drinker the free booze was lost on me, but what my family reported the mixed drinks were good albeit low-alcohol content. The only beer available was Costa Rican Imperial - a Busch-like lager that didn't please my wife, who prefers craft beer and Guinness.

The food was very good for "free". Mitra, the buffet, served all types of food from fajitas to sushi and did a pretty good job of everything which surprised me. The tropical fruit, locally grown, shouldn't be missed. Although the US imports much of Costa Rica's pineapple crop, they are picked ripe and served fresh unlike what we get.

The Pizza place actually had Napolitan pizza. I was pretty shocked at this expecting some American-style doughy junk with more grease than cheese, but the pizzas were individually sized, thin crust with excellent cheese just like you'll find in Naples Italy.

My biggest problem was the reservation system. Mitra the buffet was only open a few days of the week, forcing us to reserve ahead of time. We usually don't think like that and were forced to eat either earlier than later than we would have liked. I suppose Westin does this to cut corners on the food budget which is fine if the choice is between lower quality food available all the time or higher quality available with reservations.

For an American-style bubble with a few hints of Costa Rica than this place is fine. Just don't expect to experience much of the local culture without effort, and if that's what's important to you then there are better options. We chose this because my kid who has been to CR several times wanted to try it. I'm glad we did but I'll have to go back and stay somewhere else to see what the real Costa Rica is like.

Room Tip: Book in advance if you need adjacent rooms.
  • Stayed: May 2018, travelled with family
3  Thank jskirwin
Reviewed 27 May 2018 via mobile

5* top notch. Exceeded our expectations. The staff work very hard and are very friendly. We were a large group and we were looked after very well the whole week. From the aqua fit to golf to spa to the food and drinks, I never wanted to leave. We had fantastic excursions and our room was very clean. We thoroughly enjoyed the animals everywhere and all the lush trees & jungle type setting. We ate at a different restaurant every night. The Imperial Bar was a lot of fun to gather each evening for pre dinner cocktails and after dinner dancing. I would recommend this resort. We will definitely go back. Costa Rica has such friendly people. I miss them already.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled on business
2  Thank DEM708
Reviewed 27 May 2018 via mobile

My stay was truly magical and just the breath of fresh air I needed to reset. I will definitely recommend this location to others and plan to return as soon as I can.

The entire staff was friendly and inviting never once making me feel anything less than special. The room was delightful and met every one of my needs including a quiet place to retreat. I was traveling with a group of friends and we made it a point to try a new restaurant every day; while we enjoyed some more than others each had their own unique benefits. We ventured off the property for some amazing excursions on a couple of days but I could have easily stayed within the resort and beach with zero complaints. The pool is huge and has an area for everyone and a fantastic swim up bar with some of the friendliest bartenders I have ever met. Imperial Bar was quite possibly my absolute favorite spot. I’m glad it wasn’t open all day or I may have just sat there doing little else. The bartenders were attentive to everyone and great at making small talk.

Yes there were bugs and wildlife roaming the grounds but I didn’t go to Costa Rica for a sterile experience.

This was a truly memorable vacation thanks to Westin Playa Conchal.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled with friends
2  Thank Lara2015777
Reviewed 26 May 2018

First of all I can't figure how anyone's experience at this resort can only rate it with one star. No I can't quite give it a 5 star because as with most places there is always going to be issues, with us they were minor ones.

MINI FRIDGE - Each room has a mini refrigerator which is normally filled up each day with water, Regular Pepsi, Diet Pepsi, Beer and 7-up. All we drink is water and regular Pepsi and I asked to have just those items stocked in or fridge.

The first day went fine they placed 4 bottles of Pepsi and 6 bottles of Water (would prefer more Pepsi). Day 2 they gave us 3 Pepsi , 2 diet Pepsi and 6 bottles of water (there was still 5 bottles in the fridge). I called the front desk explained to them to please leave 4-6 bottles of regular Pepsi each day and without any hesitation they said they would send more Pepsi, which they did (4 more bottles). Day 3 once again 3 bottles of Pepsi and 7 more bottles of water which now we have 14 bottles of water (you would think they would see all of this water building up and not leave anymore.) Another call to the front desk and they sent me down 6 more bottles of Pepsi. Day 7 is now here and we have 20 bottles of water on the counter and in the fridge. A lack of communication or common sense with the room service staff to see that we have no Pepsi but a overabundance of water would have helped.

STAFF - The staff in general is awesome and will go out of there way to service you, just this morning our shuttle driver stopped because he saw a group of Coati with their babies crossing a side path. He got out of the golf cart type vehicle and offered to go up closer and get some pictures for me because it was drizzling and this way I wouldn't have to get wet. You won't find that kind of dedication to service in the US.

FOOD - I would definitely consider myself a picky eater but I did try things that I can't even pronounce and found most of them very good. Overall the quality and taste of the food at the main restaurants has been excellent 9 out of 10 stars. The Mitra buffet we only ate dinner once there and it was Tex-Mex night 7 out 10 stars. The main restaurants will substitute items with something else if you don't like what comes with the main course, once again it is all about customer service with the staff.

ROOM - Our room was clean upon arrival and cleaned everyday, the bed was super comfortable and somehow we got lucky and got one of the 12 rooms with a semi view (trees/shrubs blocking full view) of the ocean. The bed was very comfortable, air conditioner worked fine. The bathtub does have a little chip and the handrail in the shower was loose. There are a couple of cracked floor tiles but it doesn't effect the overall comfort of the room. The only time we had issues with bugs was the last night, it had rained all night and when we woke up there was about 30 dead flying type bugs on our patio, this is a closed in patio so I'm not sure how they got in there. We also had a frog in the middle of the night outside on the window seal (2nd floor) which woke us up with its croaking noises and would not stop until I went to the window and scared it away. This is Costa Rica they have bugs, wildlife of all kinds and there is forest on both sides of this hotel it is nature and if you don't like nature don't come to Costa Rica.

RESTAURANTS - They are not all open each night including the buffet so you do have to work around that schedule, during the week an average of 5 restaurants are open each night and on weekends about 7 are open. I think this depends on how booked the resort is. Our favorite restaurant was the Mangler (Classic Mediterranean) and the Las Candelas (Latin America). The only one dish that either my wife or I would not recommend is the Aztec soup at Las Candelas all other food that we ate at the restaurants were very good.

EXCURSIONS - this has nothing to do with the Westin there are two private companies located in the lobby to book excursions with.....Swiss Travel and Destination Services. We used both of them Destination Services is recommended by Costco and can be pre-booked on Costco's travel site both excursions we booked with them were fine except for the rain ( it is rainy season right now). Swiss travel also in he lobby, our first excursion was good with them but on our last day we were suppose to do zip lining which we really wanted to do, It had been raining all night and we were suppose to leave at 9 am for the excursion, it is still raining and the weather app is calling for a 70% chance of thunderstorms all day. We went to the main lobby to talk to the Swiss Travel Rep and she said it would still go and you can hear thunder in the background. I explained that I would not feel safe zip lining in the rain and thunder and usually lightening accompanies thunder so I would like to cancel. They stated that since it was not raining right now where the zip lining was they would not refund our money. My suggestion is to book through Costco and Destination Services you might have better luck getting a refund with Costco or wait until you get here to see the weather for each day before you book so you don't lose out on your money due to bad weather.

Room Tip: Try to ask for 2nd floor, more privacy less noise
  • Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple