Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
Roger F
Wellington, New Zealand

Interesting small hotel among all the glitz

4.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 16 Sept 2015
This is best described as a boutique hotel. This is my third stay with them, out of many, many Shanghai trips. Often we use one of the international 5 star brands, but when I want a break from all that sterile stuff, I choose a place like this. Rooms are good size, clean, comfortable and interesting. The wi-fi is free and reliable. There's a good small restaurant downstairs and a wine bar too - some interesting Spanish wines.

You need to prefer character over uniformity, and recognise the difference; and be OK with that. Try the hotel, I think you'll be surprised. Staff are excellent, and while their English is not perfect, it pretty good. More than sufficient to make check in/out easy.
Date of stay: September 2015
Room Tip: Hotel only has a small number of rooms. Book early if you want to use it
Trip type: Travelled on business
  • ZenHotels.com
32.3 km from Manxin Hotel Shanghai Xintiandi
Bar/Lounge
View more hotels in Shanghai
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 23 July 2015

this property is a little hard to find as you need to go into an alley way where you will find the reception desk. The alley way is surrounded by restaurants as the hotel does not have it's own restaurant as far as I know.

The location is absolutely fantastic , close to everything and was the main reason we were there. The rooms have a pretty new bathroom which is clean etc but the bedroom is not the greatest. We had issues with the wifi at the beginning but once you understand all is ok . My biggest problem was the carpet I did to feel it was clean and did not want to walk barefoot here.

We had an issue with the room upon arrival but this was solved. The spa means a few treatment rooms BTW

The staff at the desk are super friendly and helpful with good knowledge.

Date of stay: July 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 December 2014

I have stayed in Shanghai many times and decided that wanted to try somewhere close to Xintiandi. Casa Serena is only 1 block from all the action of Xintiandi and 1 block from Huaihai Middle Rd and all the shops and Close to line 1 Metro so very well located. This is a small Spanish style older Building, rooms are quite spacious and clean, a little old and worn in places but this adds to the charm.
The attached Spanish Tapas restaurant is good and the breakfast they served was limited but okay.

There are no lifts but only 3 floors. We were made to feel welcome and will certainly stay again.

Date of stay: December 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 September 2014

The hotel is just 4 minutes walk from Xintiandi so it's in a very central and convenient location. Rooms are clean though some of the facilities inside are kind of old. Surprisingly the amenities available in the room are of very good quality - when I stayed they were offering Appelles products. Beware if you have big luggages as there are no elevators in the hotel and you would also have to drag your luggage to the streets if you need to get a taxi. Breakfast is not something I would recommend though, and the service at the cafe was quite terrible.

Room tip: Definitely not one facing the streets as it could be quite noisy.
Date of stay: September 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank Yammie P
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Booked a suite for 2 nights.
Arrived at hotel at 14h, room was not ready so had to wait 1h.
Breakfast room is very small and choice of breakfast is very limited.
After the waitress asked me if I wanted type A or type B breakfast I waited for half hour and still got nothing but a coffee.
So I just left, packed my bags and went to check out.
Original idea was to stay 2 nights in this hotel.
Girl at reception told me computer is broken so I should pay cash, because I already used my vredit card for the warranty I told her I only wanted to use my credit card.
she started to send text messages and finally she managed to call someone to help her.
Check out took half hour.
I travel all the time for business and I don't need 5 star hotel, but if I pay 165 Euro for a room I expect also to get serious service.

Date of stay: July 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
2  Thank Benny E
Reviewed 7 May 2014

On my travels to China, I stayed a few days in Shanghai. I booked online this small hotel as I wanted to experience a more authentic stay , rather than a big international hotel chain . Plus this hotel was very centrally located just next to the xintiandi area which is very nice and full of restaurants and bars ( maybe a bit too expat though , but very nicely done ).
The hotel is quite luxurious , even though small. the rooms are in classic romantic style with a bit of a mix between oriental and western . The room was very peaceful and the street where the hotel is located does not have much traffic . The staff was very helpful and could speak english. The hotel also has a fitness center , which was excellent as I do like to work out a bit at least even when I'm travelling.
There are a lot of food options all around the hotel . Their own restaurant is Japanese , but unfortunately did not try it . It will be for a next time . I wish there would be more hotels like this one .

Date of stay: April 2014