Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
SailorSaki-HK
Shanghai, China

More just Hotel not so much Boutique

1.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 12 Jul 2018via mobile
Its my second stay here and i have to say within a year they managed to run down the place into a wreck. The aircon in my room was broken at 32 C outside thats no fun, the TV remote was broken , it took hours for the staff to respond. The lifts look filthy. And of my callers who tried to get through to my room the hotel staff just hang up on them due to complete lack of english. The gym is a joke small and filthy and does not even open in the afternoon/ evening. Reservation was misplaced it took them ages to find it . Staff is kind of rude as but understandable with a lousy management like that why should they care?

Overall when paying premium but getting substandard its not worth coming back. Plenty of choices in Shanghai they wont see me again!

Date of stay: July 2018
    HK$1,045
    HK$733
    HK$1,045
View more hotels in Shanghai
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 19 June 2018 via mobile

The rooms are huge and very nicely designed. Not brand new anymore but very well maintained. A real boutique hotel. Love the bathrooms. Front desk is a bit on the careless side, but not unbearably so. Location is superb - 5 mins walk to Xintiandi, perfect for sitting outside and people watching. Internet was a bit painful. But then again this is China.

Date of stay: February 2018
1  Thank sunboybc
Reviewed 26 May 2018 via mobile

Very hard to find the hotel entrance; even taxi driver cannot find, photo attached.

Hotel receptionist has no smile on their face at all times and always looking/browsing at their own mobile phones. Very unprofessional and very limited English to communicate with.
There was a male receptionist came up at night, try to help us to fix the curtain. We were shocked with his improper uniform. Seriously 5 stars hotel???

The elevator, the corridor and the room are very dim; elderly people will feel uncomfortable with their eyes.

Only one set of toilet amenities daily while we paid for 3 adults in one room with extra bed.

Every night, the air con will automatic switch OFF during midnight?!

Poor WiFi in the room. The phone in the room can call room to room and operator only. Even if you pay the deposit, you are not allowed to call anywhere in Shanghai.

Date of stay: May 2018
Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank MCMCMC5
Reviewed 22 May 2018 via mobile

The Pudi Boutique Hotel is a great place to stay in Shanghai's former French Concession. It is not a flashy hotel, but was built to be comfortable to knowing travelers. The rooms are large, and some are very large. Our bathroom was bigger than some rooms we've stayed in, with rain head shower, soaking tub with massaging jets, twin sinks, and Occitane toiletries. The hall closet also opened into the bath. There was a bar sink and microwave along with cupboards, drawers, some basic dishes, and under sink trash, in addition to the mini fridge. The TV stand at the foot of the bed rotated completely around and came with a CD/DVD player and a few CD's. The desk had an ergonomic chair, hidden outlets, stationery - and a computer printer! The king bed was a pleasure to sleep on, and the complex lighting choices included an under bed light. It was really comfortable, though it showed a few minor signs of wear.

But the location is the real highlight. It is one block from the high end shopping on Middle Huaihai Road, on Nanchang Road, which has a range of boutiques. It is a short walk from Xintiandi for those who want to indulge western tastes and a wealthy local crowd. Almost across the street is beautiful Fuxing Park, which is particularly lively. This is an ideal location in the French Concession, in walking distance of most places you'd want to visit in Shanghai.

The staff were friendly and helpful, and while their English was often limited, it was always possible for us to communicate. On top of all this, the room rates were very reasonable, making it (in my view) the best value in central Shanghai. It is really a find.

Date of stay: May 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 May 2018

When I reviewed the Pudi on my last visit there around 4 years ago, I titled the review "I will return!". I loved the experience and very much looked forward to returning, which I did last week. As the title of this review shows, the experience had highs and lows.

First the highs: The location is phenomenal. Access to other areas of Shanghai is tricky if you don't catch the subway, but that's the same for any other location in that huge and traffick-clogged city. However, the hotel is in the historic French Concession neighborhood, with 2-3 story buildings, trendy stores and lovely tree-shaded streets. It is the nicest area of Shanghai I know, and after a tiring day it is a lovely haven to return to. Also, the bed was amazingly comfortable. As someone that increasingly has greater difficulty sleeping in hotel beds, I slept like a baby every night. I also still love the decor of the hotel. I understand those who say it is too dark, but I think the colors, subdued lighting and little aquariums everywhere really work well together. Of course, the sheer size of the rooms is also a plus. As for the staff, I found them all very friendly and willing to help.

The lows: Starting with the staff... Though they are friendly, they do have a very limited English, and this can be a problem when you need their help: no matter how friendly they are, if you don't speak Chinese they will not be able to provide basic hotel services beyond calling for a cab. Questions like "where is the closest bank", "what is the ideal time to beat traffic" and can you recommend a restaurant" are mostly met with friendly shrugs. Also, the internet is appalling!! Seriously, it took me back 10 years. On occasion, I had no choice but to switch to expensive roaming services in order to download emails with attachments smaller than 1 MB. The breakfast is OK, but limited. And I think the hotel is showing its age and lack of maintenance: everywhere there are signs of degradation, which for a hotel of this level shouldn't be acceptable.

And the really low point: when I checked out, I found the bill to be much higher than initially expected. They charged me a 15% "service charge", with no reasonable explanation coming from the staff and their limited English. After I refused to leave without a full explanation, a manager appeared, and he spoke better English. He explained that the 15% was the commission Booking.com charged them for mediating the reservation, and even showed me the print-out from Booking.com. Never mind that 15% seems a bit high for Booking.com to charge the hotel, but this fee has NOTHING to do with me! I was given a reference price when I booked and, as always when I book through Booking.com, that's what I expected to pay. Sometimes there are extra charges, like a city tourism fee or similar, but 15% is extortionate, and that fee was never mine to pay.

So, fond memories aside, I will never go back to the Pudi.

Date of stay: April 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
3  Thank Miguel C
Reviewed 12 April 2018 via mobile

I agree it’s gone downhill from when it opened but it’s still a huge, clean and cool room for around $150 before taxes. I skipped the breakfast option - Starbucks, Ladybug Cafe and Sober Cafe right next door. All are good alternatives.

Cool art in room. Neat design with TV entertainment center on a swivel. Totally central location. 10 minute walk to Xintiandi

Date of stay: April 2018