Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
gillianginny
Singapore, Singapore

Old but convenient

3.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 13 Jan 2012
This hotel is located just opposite Intercontinental Hotel and it is so convenient to get anything you want (as it is surrounded by shopping malls and lots of restaurants).

About the room, i stayed 2 weeks in executive room (old furniture but OK to sleep). My room's power saving device was not functioning properly, it was very annoying when the light kept turning off. So, i asked front desk about it....and they sent someone to fix it... and it was fixed in 10 minutes.

Nothing exciting about their facilities. Note: the kettles don't look very clean; don't bother to ask the housekeeping to change because they probably get lousier one for you.
Date of stay: September 2011
    HK$556
    HK$483
6.3 km from Ji Hotel Shanghai Lujiazui Babaiban
View more hotels in Shanghai
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 28 March 2010

The rooms were pretty average...bed, shower, TV etc...there were many cable channels, so that was a plus point! However one point to note is all the channels were in Mandarin...except BBC...

The staff speak mainly in Mandarin. Whatever level of English they can speak is very low...so if you can only speak in English...and no Mandarin...I hope you won't have many requests...or you might end up frustrated.

However this is not to say the staff are not helpful. On the contrary, I find them very service-orientated. Like when I tried to travel to certain tourist destinations, they were ready to advise on which was the best mode of transport to go (Eg. MRT, taxi) and what the approximate cost would be. They were also quick to deliver the electrical adapters for our usage and there is free broadband internet. But you have to use your own computers.

The location is pretty decent. Taxi will bring you to most tourist destinations for about 12 - 20 yuan. (12 yuan is the starting price for a taxi ride). Most taxi drivers who start their meters will not cheat you. The only drivers who would cheat you are those who DO NOT start their meters. Always insist on the meter and take the receipt from them. The hotel is near shopping malls (Yaohan!) and food places.

The spa at the 3rd floor certainly looks dubious. When the lift doors open, I see paintings of naked women on the walls (I don't know if they can attribute it to artistic value). I certainly didn't dared to step out to find out.

On the whole, I wouldn't mind staying at this place again for the location and helpful staff...but that would be all.

Date of stay: March 2010
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 8 August 2009

Stayed here due in part to my colleague who wanted to be in the Pudong New Commercial district. Got jostled around a bit with the cost of the room, mine ended up being cheaper than his by about 100RMB, although the rooms were the same. You have to pay the fee for your booked accommodation in advance plus a little extra as a deposit, which you get back on check-out. The breakfast is Chinese variety, which I usually like, although the quality of the food here is ok to poor depending on the items your select from the buffet.
All in all I think you could do better regarding quality and price, as there are many new or newly refurbished business hotels proper in the vicinity.

Date of stay: August 2009
Reviewed 10 March 2009

The hotel is good, even if the furnitures are not brand new, there is everything you need.
Some bottles of water are available every morning.
Unfortunately there is currently a yard just near the hotel and it is very noisy, but this is common for Shanghai.
The breakfast is mainly chinese style.

Date of stay: February 2009
Trip type: Travelled on business
3  Thank kernel255
Reviewed 5 May 2008

CHECK-IN: The whole process took quite fast. My company secretary booked this hotel for RMB488 per night.

ROOM: Above average for a 3-star hotel. Have all the amenities you needed. Disposable slipper, shoe shine, tooth brush, cotton bud, etc. Towels are clean. No complimentary bottled water but there is a water dispenser in the room. Overall, 4 out 5 for the room cleanliness.

INTERNET: No complimentary internet. They charge RMB50/24 hours. However, you can walk to the nearest internet cafe next door for RMB4 an hour. They allow you to use your own laptop.

LOCATION: Not too central. Located in Pudong, convenient for those who wants access to New Shanghai International Expo Center which is why I was there for anyway. There are MacDonalds, Pizza Hut, Noshinoya, etc 100meters away from the hotel. Intercontinental Pudong is right opposite the hotel.

BREAKFAST: Not included with the room and cost RMB38/person which I think it is a rip-off.

CONS:
1) There are construction works going on nearby, right in front of the hotel. The first night was a nightmare. Need earplugs to sleep. I check out and switched to Pudong Shangri-La on the third day (although I am supposed to stay here for 5 days).

2) SPA: Avoid it. It is a [--] brothel. I walked in and asked about the massage and prices. Instead of getting a response, I was directed to the shower area. Took shower, put on robe supplied by the spa and was directed to a room with a few foot-reflexology-looking chairs and a big plasma TV with no massage bed. I told the waiter who brought me drinks that I want body massage not foot reflexology. He do not seems to understand much English and a minute later the manager appeared and asked if it is my first time there. I said yes and he explained that the spa offers no massage service only SEX. I was ready to storm the hell out of that place and he keep insisting that I try their service. After attempting a few times, the manager finally gave up. I put back my own clothes and was all ready to leave that place. I was asked to pay RMB100 for the bloody shower which no one tells me that it cost RMB100. I put on a good show of arguement in the spa entrance which might have scared other guests away. So I finally throw a RMB50 bill and walk out of that place.

The hotel room is okay. The so called 'spa' makes me feel so disgusted that I have decided not to return to this hotel again.

Date of stay: April 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
9  Thank biz_traveller77
Reviewed 6 June 2006

I stayed at the Changhang Merrylin Hotel from Jun 22 - Jun 31 2006 for a business trip accompanied by my wife. This is my second stay in this hotel. The first was in Nov 2005 for 3 nights. I was staying in the business room with attached free broadband. The room is rather spacious except for the air-conditioning which is emitting air instead of cool air. Some guests complained and it was fixed momentarily for a day and the situation was back to (ab)normal. The location is excellent for both business and leisure as it was in the middle of downtown Pudong where there are lots of restaurants and cafes. Access to Puxi by taxi is about RMB20 to Nanjing East Rd and about 20 mins (off-peak). The trip to Puding Int'e Airport is about 45 mins to 1 hr (depending on traffic) and costs RMB 130-140.

The waiters at the 22nd floor (breakfast buffet) is not customer-friendly and the spread is similar everyday. Be prepared to jostle with the local Chinese for food as this seems to be a popular hotel for them. There are also foreigners as well. This primarily is a business hotel. For exchange of currency, there is a Bank of China next to the hotel. Be prepared to queue for at least 45 mins and bring your passport. The hotel provides this facility (without the queue) and the rates are compariable with the bank. The nearest metro is about 10 mins walking distance (Dongchang Station). There will be a nearer station, Dongfang Station which is under construction and is expected to be ready by Oct 2006.

Inter-Continental is just opposite this hotel and there is a large well-organized mall selling computers and its accessories. There will be street vendors outside the hotel on the pedestrain pavement usually at about 5pm onwards. They sell intersting items. This trip, both my wide and I bought quite a number of artifacts from Tibeatans selling their ware - beads, combs made of goats' horns, etc. The rule of thumb is 30% of their asking price.

Date of stay: May 2006