All reviews french concession xing guo a garden view room hotel grounds lovely hotel busy city great amenities ironing board breakfast was excellent business or pleasure hotel breakfast bottled water business trip the hotel offers enjoyed my stay art deco taxi driver
Reviewed 21 September 2018 via mobile

We stayed at the Radisson Blu Xing Guo at the very start of our trip around China, and it made the perfect place to get acclimatised. The service is what you’d expect from a luxury hotel but unlike many of the new purpose-built international options in the city this one comes with French Art Deco charm and is located in the beautiful tree-lined streets of the Former French Concession.

The room was spacious and well appointed, and the staff friendly and helpful.

The one thing to consider is that the renovations around the perimeter of the hotel make it a great place to stay when you’re inside, but a little less charming when you’re coming and going. You should also be aware that although very well located to get to the main attractions of The Bund, Xintiandi and the People’s Square by bus or metro, the (pleasant!) walk is around an hour.

Still, we were happy with our choice and would happily stay here again.

Date of stay: September 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Managing_D, Manager at Radisson Blu Plaza Xingguo Hotel Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded 22 September 2018

Dear RossFarquhar,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experiences with us and I am very pleased to read you had a memorable stay, even with the ongoing city construction, which we at the hotel have no control over.

Your positive comments regarding the care and attentiveness of our staff are very well received.

I value your feedback, as it enables the hotel management to focus and provide the best customer service possible, as the hotel always strives to exceed the expectations of guests.

On behalf of our entire staff here at the Xing Guo, we thank you for your business and pleased to read that you would consider staying at the hotel again.

Reviewed 14 September 2018 via mobile

I have lost count how many times I have stayed here. The experience just keeps getting better. I was both staying and running a 2 week conference here.

The rooms have recently been updated. This means the bathroom, TV and decor. The toilet seat even warms up for when you sit down.

The TV has the usual channels AND a new movie option showing 50 newish western and Asian movies on demand.

The bed is super comfy and the aircon works. It has been super warm on this visit so the aircon was a super relief when coming in from outside.

The room has a steam iron and ironing board, safety box and a walk in shower. As well as an amazing bath in the middle of the room. The bathroom doors slide to either open up or provide privacy.

In short the hotel has spent some money on the recent renovation and it shows and it works well.

The staff seem to keep getting better. Always great customer service and they have got even better. Good English and always helpful especially the concierge who can lend an umbrella for those rainy days.

Breakfast is both western and Asian with a superb fruit juicer for a healthy start to the day.

Housekeeping is great. Always leaving the room nice and clean and smart.

Plugs in the room are multi region negating the need for an adapter should you forget one. They also provide a charger for iPhone and Samsung phones in the room.

Location is good. It’s set inside a lovely garden which provides a peaceful retreat from the noise of a busy city.

Transport is close, Jiaotong University metro (line 10 and 11) is 15 minute walk away. Jiangsu road is 15 min walk (line 2). Both provide quick, easy and cheap access to the city. The metro is super easy to navigate. Max cost for a trip is 4rmb.

You can also walk to some lovely local restaurants and bars within walking distance.

As with all of Shanghai there can be a wait for taxis when it’s raining but usually the wait is only about 10 mins and the concierge will help you with that. Take a hotel card so you can get a taxi back as the Chinese drivers do not speak English. Just hand the card to them and enjoy the ride.

After 14 nights here I’m sad to be leaving but will come back in 2019

If you’re in any doubt whether to stay here, don’t worry you’ll be well looked after.

Date of stay: September 2018
Trip type: Travelled on business
Managing_D, Manager at Radisson Blu Plaza Xingguo Hotel Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded 15 September 2018

Dear MondayRebel,

Firstly, thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay at the property, and always great to welcome you back to the Radisson Blu Plaza Xing Guo Shanghai and to catch up on your news.

As a frequent guest of the hotel, we very much appreciate the comments that you highlighted during your stay at the hotel. Your positive comments regarding the care and attentiveness of our staff is very well received.

On behalf of our entire staff here at the Xing Guo, we thank you for your business and we look forward to seeing again when your travels bring you back in 2019.

Safe travels.

Howard

Reviewed 30 August 2018 via mobile

I stayed here twice on my last trip 2, 2 night stays. Rooms are always nice. On my second stay I got upgrade to a great suite only to then have street construction that was going to go all night. 3 people helped me move quickly to new room but it was smaller-bummer- but I could sleep. The breakfast buffet is great. Cook eggs the way you like, I had omelette. Awesome fruit with melon, watermelon, grapes, pineapple and dragon fruit. The also had dried fruit and nuts. I would bring a baggie and take some for a gluten free snack later in the if needed. For dinner there is not much on the menu for gluten free. Judy help me two nights when I was too tired to go out. She did vegetable fried rice off the menu and then had the chef add shrimp and wonderful salmon for some protein. My only complaint is that for us foreigners the fitness club does not open early. I am awake at 3-4am due to time change. Wish I could just use my key card to get in minimally by 5am.

Date of stay: August 2018
Trip type: Travelled on business
Managing_D, Manager at Radisson Blu Plaza Xingguo Hotel Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2018

Dear kmalmberg1,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experiences with us and I am very pleased to read you had a memorable stay, even with the ongoing city construction, which we at the hotel have no control over, am also pleased to read that we could accommodate your dietary needs.

Due to safety and security within the hotel, we don’t offer key card access to the fitness centre for guests, hence why we man the area from 06h00 through 23h00 daily, this came about following a guest survey on their requirements of the facility.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future and please do not hesitate to contact me should you need any assistance.

Reviewed 14 August 2018

A very good hotel in the center of Shanghai.Excellent facilities and super kind and helpful stuff.Very good and various breakfast, also european food.Good facilities for meetings and strong internet connection.

Date of stay: August 2018
Trip type: Travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank larissa_mariager
Managing_D, Manager at Radisson Blu Plaza Xingguo Hotel Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2018

Dear larissa_mariager,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experiences with us, and I am very pleased to read you had a memorable stay at the hotel.

The hotels location is ideal in the former French Concession, located in walking distance to many historical sights, restaurants and entertainment areas.

Thank you for your compliments of our service. We strive to provide professional, personal and memorable experiences for our guests and it is pleasing to read our team delivered.

Reviewed 1 August 2018

Had a great stay at Radisson Blu in a hotel that is very well maintained. Business trip with 20 collegues. Were lucky to have all the ladies upgraded to Madame Lai's women only floor and they LOVE it.

Rooms are colourfully decorated with large rooms.

Hotel is set in a small private parkland which is very well kept.

Neighbourhood is easy walking distance to metro and french concession restaurants - head there for breakfast.

Hotel breakfast is very good - in the ground level function space. Lunch not so great - even the local options.

Bar with whiskey is very nice - but beware of the bar man who will offer the most expensive drinks first. So can be hard to keep costs reasonable when guests are being offered $80 drinks.

Room tip: Ask for park view - and if you are female definitely ask for Madame Lai level.
Date of stay: March 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Managing_D, Manager at Radisson Blu Plaza Xingguo Hotel Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2018

Dear Renomonkeyboy,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay at Radisson Blu Plaza Xing Guo, and for commenting so graciously on the recently renovated guest rooms and the upgraded facilities that the hotel offers to guests and sharing this on TripAdvisor for fellow travellers to read, and further delighted to read that the female contingent amongst your group enjoyed staying on the Madam Li floor, created for our frequent female guests that stay at the property.

I value your feedback, as it enables the hotel management to focus and provide the best customer service possible, as the hotel always strives to exceed expectations of guests. If you would care to elaborate further about your experience, this would be most helpful in understanding issues that you encountered in the lobby lounge bar on pricing for $80.00 drinks, in reviewing the beverage selection, none of the individual drinks listed are at that price, perhaps you are confused with Chinese Yuan as all prices are listed in Chinese currency, where the average price for a cocktail is around 80RMB, plus 15% government taxes.

Please feel free to contact me at the following email address: hbennett@radisson.com

Again thank you for taking the time to post on Tripadvisor.