All reviews people's square room card to access walking distance glass wall shower area close to metro station twin room western style pedestrian street breakfast buffet convenience chinese bund bath toiletries line china
Reviewed 24 October 2018

The Kingtown Riverside Hotel Plaza Shanghai is perhaps best described as an unremarkable establishment. It is also not a hotel run in a manner consistent with the expectations of western tourists or business people.

It is located near highly desirable areas, but several other hotels are as well. The price appears to be reasonable, but the appearance is deceptive.

The front desk staff is friendly and tries hard, but management seems to have real problems. They do not seem to care for customers. As an example, the manager of the front desk, in the early evening of Friday, 19 Oct, was seen to tell several customers with simple separate questions that they had to wait in the long line to ask his desk staff, rather than ask him. After each such incident, he remained in place doing nothing observable.

Another such incident, we were issued only one door card. Upon reaching our room, we realized we would be leaving and returning to our room separately. We needed a second key. My wife went to the front desk with the request, which was rejected, since, as they put it, “We have no more keys. We have a full house tonight.”
She returned to our room. After a brief discussion, she returned to the front desk. Within five minutes she was back with the second card!

The room was reasonably clean – towels and sheets definitely so. Furnishings and fixtures aged.

Room itself was probably the smallest I have ever occupied.

Not the easiest location to find, but not a place to drive to anyway. NO parking available.

I can see being adventurous. Staying at the Kingtown Riverside Hotel Plaza Shanghai is not adventurous. It is, in our opinion, foolish.

Date of stay: October 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 October 2018

Average hotel, located close to People's Square Metro station and East Nanjing Road Shopping Street. Breakfast was average. Staff were friendly. Its a 20 minute walk from the hotel to the Bund and 40 min drive to the Pudong Airport.

Date of stay: October 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 5 September 2018 via mobile

Room was spacious, clean generally. Even we have some hike up with the air conditioning which not bring cool air all the times in summer time.

Location great in central of Huangpu district which bring you ease in all foods nearby such as Jia Jia Tang Bao in walking distance.

Price were in reasonable range for the very big room, affordable to families.

Staffs were friendly and helpful.

Date of stay: September 2018
Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 14 May 2018 via mobile

Terrible stay, first of there was mix up with room, so they hit me up for extra cost.Must say staff on reception were good. The room was dirty, floor was lucky to be cleaned from the last 5 customers. It was so bad when I got out of bed the sheets had crusty bits from the floor. I complained and asked them to change the sheets which they did but did not touch the rest of the room. I am not one for wearing my shoes in a hotel room but this one I did. I put a towel by the bed to wipe my feet on. AC grill looked like it was going to fall, not all lights worked!! I don’t recommend and won’t go back. Lobby is tired!

Date of stay: May 2018
Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 12 May 2018 via mobile

Location is good. Breakfast is poor only 1 type of cheese and Jam and butter. Sorry i forgot egg. I believe Chinese are the main visitors. Because also its really difficult to communicate. Hotel staff must learn English better for Foreign visitors. You can go to People's square or other nice places by walk. Metro line1 is just at the back of the hotel we can say. Bed and pillows are really hard. But clean and New. Affordable price.

Date of stay: May 2018