Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
alberto M

The worst hotel of my life

1.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 19 Jan 2023
This is supposedly a five-star hotel, unfortunately I have to tell you that all the stars fell ruinously to the ground many years ago, the only thing of a five-star hotel that remains is the money you pay.
Here a summary:
Very ugly apartment with 20 years old, ruined furniture with stains and scratches.
Despite being at a high floor, the living room, the kitchen, and the entrance of the apartment were extremely dark even in the sunniest day, it felt like being in a cave.
20 years old carpet in the room with stains and I don’t want to know what flora and fauna inside, simply disgusting.
Smelly kitchen.
Totally unreliable wi-fi.
Unbelievably unprofessional and unfriendly staff, we are speaking about untrained people that can’t even speak a word of English.
The washing/drying machine didn’t dry at all, I had to dry my washed clothes with the hairdryer.
Extremely noisy due to construction site running also on weekends, of course the long staying guests are placed in rooms facing the construction site.
Low quality breakfast…. The food in China is very good and inexpensive, paying 18 euros to eat badly cooked eggs and out of season, completely unflavoured fruit is a rip-off.
Date of stay: November 2022
Earn Trip Coins after your stay
32.5 km from Ascott Huai Hai Road Shanghai
Bar/Lounge
View more hotels in Shanghai
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 27 June 2021 via mobile

Overall service was pretty good and the place has great facilities, table tennis, tennis, pool, great gym, close to Lots of shops.

My 3 rating comes from two areas.

1. We asked for connecting rooms and we were told we had to be on separate floors! Eventually we took a downgraded room just to be beside each other!!! No refunds on that!

2. Poor breakfast. They offer semi buffet style which I like but the delivery was not up to scratch. Eg I asked for 2 poached eggs and it came swimming in water. Hash browns were overcooked and cooked to a crisp. Salmon scrambled eggs came out like a fried omelette, Chinese dumplings came out cold.

The buffet continental breakfast was just an eclectic mix.

Not sure I'd come back to this hotel as I think there's better options even though I facilities are excellent.

Date of stay: May 2021
Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank Kelvin G
Reviewed 22 December 2020 via mobile

I’m writing this review lying in bed, listening to a full conversation of the neighbour next door on his phone. The other neighbour next door is watching TV and I can hear it all. I am gobsmacked. It’s like being in a traffic jam (on-a Tuesday night). I had tried to forget the dated rooms, no room service (due to covid apparently except there is no mask wearing or asking for health codes), sauna and steam room don’t work. I’ve stayed at Ascotts in Beijing and in other countries and am a loyal customer but this is a bad joke. If you want a hotel that feels like a used car from 20 years ago that still charges new car prices, then get in line! Surely the Ascott company must be cringing over this embarrassment to their glamorous chain. You know it’s bad when you cannot even make out the numbers in the lift they are so worn out!

Date of stay: December 2020
Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 9 February 2020

We enjoyed staying in this place and had a good two bed apartment for eight nights over New Year. It was well serviced and well appointed. It was a little tired in places but still very good. The location is great and very much part of the French Concession shopping world. There is a metro just down the street and one can walk easily to many great places. There is an excellent international supermarket which we used a lot so we could east in the apartment. The only thing I would say is that the rooms were very expensive although this is probably explained by New Year.

Room tip: Most rooms look to have good views. There is one very attractive aspect over the park.
Date of stay: January 2020
2  Thank iand279
Reviewed 15 January 2020 via mobile

The Ascott has a GREAT location and is a good hotel. Service is friendly and they have upgraded their breakfast options over the past three years and now have a very good in-house restaurant.

My main - and really only - complaint is that our room is in need of some basic maintenance and TLC. Rooms should be updated periodically and it seems this has been somewhat neglected at the Ascott.

Date of stay: January 2020
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 December 2019 via mobile

First stay in Shanghai.

Convenient stay with subway access and indoor access to Hong Kong plaza mall.

Spacious space for 3 with full amenities such as kitchen and washer/dryer. Fully utilize the washer/dryer with the daily supply of detergent.

5-mins’ walk to Xintiandi area and plenty of malls (k11, etc) on the middle Huai hai shopping street. Shopping heaven, most importantly close to many eateries.

Date of stay: December 2019