All reviews front desk modern decor first floor quiet location road trip eggs staff was friendly bagels ihg lobby interstate hie miles birmingham florida
Selected filters
Reviewed 27 January 2020

The hotel is clean, comfortable and safe. It is located right beside a Hampton Inn and about 3 miles from downtown Jasper. The breakfast in the morning is excellent. There is a pancake station in addition to plenty of options to choose from like oatmeal, eggs, bacon, cereal, and hot cinnamon rolls.

Date of stay: January 2020
1  Thank emsmith2011
Reviewed 9 January 2020

I stayed at this hotel in August 2019 while traveling from Birmingham to Memphis. It appeared that the hotel was fairly new and we recently built. The lobby and the grounds surrounding the hotel appeared in very good condition. The room was 'clean' and the bed was comfortable, I had no issues sleeping through the night. When I awoke in the morning, I saw a small bug crawling across the bedspread but I'm not the squeamish type so I killed it with a napkin and threw it away. I didn't think more about it until later that day I noticed that my ankles and upper arms were itchy and had a series of bites in a line. I quickly jumped on the internet and discovered that I had unfortunately been victim of bed bugs, my first experience in 5 years of traveling (100+ nights a year). I called the hotel and spoke to the front desk as soon as I was aware. I told them what had happened and they didn't seem to concerned but said they would check it out. Our conversation left me with an uneasy feeling so I called again the next morning to report it to the dayshift and hopefully a manager. Again, they didn't seem too concerned but said they would check it out. I was thinking that someone would get in contact with me to discuss the issue with the stay but several days passed and I didn't hear anything. I contacted IHG customer support through the chat function built into their website and told the CSR my experience. She told me to send a message to customer relations which I did as soon as I finished the chat with her. I retold my story as above and highlighted my concern that all attempts to notify people about this issue seem to be ignored. I never heard back from anyone at customer support. Work got busy and a few weeks passed before I decided that I would write a review on the IHG website for the hotel, figuring that would at least get SOME response. Unsurprisingly, the review that I submitted detailing my experience was never posted. To this day no one from the hotel or IHG customer relations has attempted to contact me. All I wanted was assurance that this problem was being taken seriously and would be addressed. To my knowledge that has not happened.

Months have passed since my stay in Jasper and unfortunately I recently encountered another bed bug incident at rival hotel chain in another state. This would not be relevant to this review except it was a stark contrast to my experience with Holiday Inn Express: When I notified the front desk at the other hotel chain, they were extremely apologetic, they compensated the stay (my company pays for hotels so it doesn't help or hurt me personally when they comp the stay but I feel like its the right thing to do) and gave me some bonus points for the trouble. Their immediate and appropriate response gives me assurance that the rival chain will address the problem and correct.

In closing I'd like to apologize to anyone who might have stayed at this hotel in the past 6 months and had bed bug issues like I did. If I had been better at following up and continuing to pester the hotel I might have had more impact. I’m more than happy if anyone from the hotel or IHG would like to contact me to discuss this issue. My contact info is in the previous reports I’ve submitted to your company.

Date of stay: August 2019
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
IHGService, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2020

Hello 402jrn,

Thank you for reaching out to us, we value your feedback.

Your stay at our property could have been better, had it not been for the bed bugs and bites you received. Furthermore, I apologize for the way and delay in which your concern was handled. We want our guests to have an engaging place to rest, provide you with efficient and seamless experiences and fresh, practical, and efficient accommodations. In this case, we were not able to deliver the entire package.

Rest assured that we will do our part to seek better ways to make our property an engaging place to rest and where you can recharge. I hope you will give us a chance by staying with us again to show you that your unsatisfactory stay was an exception. Again, thank you for sharing your comments. In addition to this, we have sent you a Private Message asking for more details.

We look forward to hosting your stay in the future.

Hector P
Case Manager
IHGService

Reviewed 26 November 2019

We found this hotel last minute on a road trip. It is about 3 miles from the interstate; but well worth the extra drive. I found the rooms to be very spacious and either brand new, or newly renovated. I enjoyed the clean, modern decor. The floors are a bit thin as we got two calls complaining from the room below us from our toddler walking around. I would request the third floor if possible. We didn't have any noise issues. The only negatives were the quality of the toilet paper (paper thin) and the free breakfast coffee was just so-so. The complimentary breakfast buffet was very tasty.

Date of stay: November 2019
Reviewed 7 October 2019

This HI Express has great rooms, courteous and efficient staff but very poor internet. If you need to get some work down the poor quality of the internet overshadows the rest of the great qualities about the property. You could move the office chair near the door and get the internet to work but otherwise very spotty.

Date of stay: October 2019
Reviewed 17 July 2019 via mobile

We stayed here on our way to Florida/Georgia. The hotel was comfortable and clean. Staff was friendly. We felt like there was a good value for the room. They served bacon for breakfast and I always appreciate bacon!

Date of stay: July 2019
Trip type: Travelled with family
Bonnie S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2019

Thank you for your kind review we really appreciate our guest letting us know how their stay was. And we are so happy you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope if you are ever back in the area you will stay with us again.