1,760 results
All reviewsreggae barthe cliffpool access roomprivate beachpeak restaurantmain poolswim up barelegance deluxe roomtuk tukgrand villainfinity spafree shuttleseafood buffetshuttle serviceblack pearlsaladan townlow season
Reviewed 29 May 2018 via mobile

“4.5 Star Resort Rating” - In reality, it is a 3 star resort property with 2 star service.

The physical appearance of the resort is run down. Exterior walls / floors / pools are in poor condition for a “4.5 Star” resort. It is dirty and need of repair or a heavy clean. Paths and roads cracked, dining areas are mediocre condition. Really poorly kept!

The rooms are big enough. We stayed in a pool access room. The room was nice, but the really off-putting find was the massive water damage on the roof in the bathroom, where it was clear there was a leak that went unresolved which resulted in black mold growing in the bathroom - which is disgusting. To put their guests in clearly damaged rooms and charge an up-seen amount of it! Just another example of on how unkept the resort is! The pool tiles are also I need of repair, as I have almost been cut by sharpe edges of tile that were not properly installed. Pool chairs are pretty gross, not cleaned between guest nor are patios cleaned properly. Not up to standards at all.

As for the service, it was terrible. So many staff wandering and waiting around, and still bad service! When you need something (like ordering at either poolside bar) no one was there to serve us when both were suppose to be open. Staff were slow and didn’t really seem to care about the service. When calling for room service, staff were rude and rushed, making it seem that we were the inconvenience to order food (which is overpriced and ridiculously taxed 10% and then 7%).

Communication between management and guests was non existent. For example, we had the wireless internet (that was suppose to be accessible throughout the resort) stop suddenly. After an hour I called reception to which they informed me the wifi would be down for two days and the only wifi was in the lobby. I was working remotely and needed wifi access, and it was gone for two out of four days of my stay. Ridiculous to not inform the guests of these things or have any other options than the lobby.

Cleaning the rooms in the morning was slow and it seemed they had one person doing every single room which was inconvenient and inefficient. The resort is super spaced out and in order to get from the lower half of the resort to the food areas, you have to take a golf cart run by the resort. This was poorly managed!! 9 times out of 10 we walked up the hill and down to dinner since the golf cart was never there and staff had us wait 10 minutes to wait for a cart. They had no idea where the other staff were or what was going on. They didn’t really care to make anyone wait and took there time with requests.

Unprofessional and disorganized service. I’ve never encountered this kind of treatment anywhere in Thailand - let alone at a what claims to be 4.5 star resort.

The whole experience was disappointing to say the least. Not what I expected from such a expensive resort with a 4.5 star rating. False rating and too high a price for what the whole thing is worth. I guarantee you can find a nicer and more friendlier resort around the island.

Would not recommend.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank hansc3
CrownLanta2016, Public Relations Manager at Crown Lanta Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2018

We regret to hear that we did not live up to your expectations and we do hope you were still able to enjoy the beauty of the island, the beaches, and the local people. Your feedback has been shared with the management team, we thank you for sharing.

Reviewed 22 May 2018

Crown Lanta is a beautiful luxury hotel built on a small hill that is the peninsula sticking out into the Andaman Sea from the Northwest end of Ko Lanta Yai. There are a couple of other accommodations adjacent but you will hardly notice them. Whilst its location seems remote it is (technically) close enough to walk into Saladan or round the curve of the beach to the bars and restaurants further down Klong Dao road from Saladan. It is not worth walking down the road in the humidity however so just grab one of the Tuk-Tuks (50baht pp) that are always available at the hotel entrance. You can however walk down the gentle steps at the side of the main pool restaurant, onto main public beach, then walk as far as a few miles along Klong Dao beach past dozens of nice bars and restaurants. It is at this end of the main beach that you will be picked up if you book any speedboat excursions. It’s a very pleasant walk along the clean sand that can be broken with refreshments at numerous small beach bars. I can recommend ‘Friendly Bar’ which is about a 10 minute walk from Crown along the beach.

The hotel itself is very much in 2 parts either side of the steep hill and there are little vans that travel from the reception area to the main pool often to save weary guests from the exertion in the heat. On the summit is the gym and roof top breakfast restaurant which has great sea views. There are often small Vervet Monkeys hanging around here on the wall, in the trees, on the roof of the restaurant or even sitting on a light fitting eying up your breakfast. They generally won’t bother you but leave them alone as they can scratch or bite and can be aggressive if startled. The in-land side of the hotel has the swim-up pool rooms and is much more sheltered from the sun, especially with the trees that cover the whole peninsula. On the seaward side is the main hotel pool which is plenty big enough never to be crowded and with more than enough sun beds at all but the very busiest times (it is rare not to find a sunbed and if this happens, come back in half an hour and there will most likely be free beds). There is a small children’s pool with a slide and thankfully it is not full of screaming hoards at any time. This is surrounded by 2 storey accommodations (pool Views) then to either side of the small cliff overlooking the Hotels’ small private beach are the ‘Private Pool Villas’. We paid a fair bit extra for one of these and, if you can afford it, it is well worth it. Off to North side from the main pool is a small patio area with steps leading down to the ‘Reggae Bar’ and at the South side of the pool is the main evening (pool) restaurant, however almost every night this serves all of its meals on tables laid outside on the terrace overlooking the hotel beach.

The ‘private Pool Villa’ we had was simply stunning! It consists of a large main room with sofa, arm chair, fridge and mini bar area, a huge bedroom with a giant bed and another sofa, an equally huge bathroom with big round bath looking out over the drop to the beach, plenty of sink space and changing area too and last but certainly not least a large patio, outdoor shower and private infinity pool. It was great to spend cooling off and gazing down from the edge of the pool over the beach and out across the sea looking south.

I was pleasantly surprised with most of the food and drink. We had breakfast included where there was a vast choice of everything from breads and salads to the usual omelettes and bacon but also a good selection of fruits and even Thai dishes which I thought a little strange for breakfast (but the Thai curries here were delicious). We also ate evening meal in the hotel main restaurant a few times as the price was only a little more than the decent restaurants over on Klong Dao or in Saladan and the quality and tastes of the dishes were great. The room mini bar was a big surprise too as it wasn’t a complete rip-off as most hotels usually are. In fact, the price of beers and, to some degree cocktails, throughout the hotel was generally decent. The only exception being the pool bar where, if it wasn’t included in happy hour, then it was a fair bit more costly than anywhere else we encountered. For the Reggae bar, see my separate review.

We found all of the staff to be superb, always smiling and nothing is ever too much trouble. Even the gardeners who know next to no English all say good morning as you head out on an excursion. The only small exception was the mini bus driver who, while pleasant enough, was very quiet on both journeys to and from the airport. It is great that the hotel includes this service but as our first contact in Thailand I had hoped for more of a greeting.

In summary: a great hotel in a good location with superb staff and delicious food. Highly recommended!

Room Tip: If budget will stretch definitely go for the private pool villa.
  • Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple

Thank you so very much for not only choosing Crown Lanta for your island getaway, but also for sharing this very detailed experience of the resort and your stay. This will prove to be super helpful for future potential guests choosing the right Lanta hotel and resort for their trip. We just love to hear you loved everything from our location and food to our wonderful staff - thanks for the recommendation!.

Reviewed 21 May 2018

I stayed at the Crown Lanta with my boyfriend and another friend for 4 nights. It was a lovely stay, the hotel staff are all very friendly and helpful and the rooms are big and spacious - we had a pool view room with our own little terrace and direct access to the pool which was nice.
The Crown Lanta is a good, big resort that you sometimes need a gold cart to take you around, however they are always available and if not easy to call. The rooms are nice, but could do with being slightly updated, the lighting is poor and it would be nice to have a bath in the bathroom as opposed to only a shower.
Breakfast is brilliant and there is a huge amount of option from fruit, eggs, pancakes, waffles, pastries, cereals, Thai curry’s and amazing fresh smoothies....
The different restaurants and bars across the hotel are good quality and well priced and the sunset reggae beach bar is great fun for an evening with friends in a beautiful authentic setting (however be careful of the cocktails, they are not using natural fruit ingredients!)

The only criticisms i would have of the crown Lanta are the private beach which is not well maintained at all and doesn’t really have facilities and the similarly although the hotel is lovely, it could do with updating the towels, updating the pool which looks tired, updating th towels and sheets just to spruce it up.

They will lend you bikes for free to cycle around the island which is great fun for exploring and there are loads of great restaurants and bars that you can visit up the beach.

It is inexpensive for the facilities you get and the staff and atmosphere massively out weights the need for a slight spruce up

Stayed: April 2018, travelled with friends

Cordelia - thank you so much for not only choosing Crown Lanta for your island stay, but also for sharing your experience. We will definitely being taking this feedback seriously and will work to begin updating the rooms, towels, and grounds. We thank you for being able to overlook these few imperfections and fully appreciate our friendly staff and the resort's atmosphere - thank you!

Reviewed 20 May 2018 via mobile

I needed a quick weekend of fresh air away from busy Bangkok where I am working for the summer. This place was everything I needed and then some. I had looked at reviews and photos online but I know those can sometimes show things better than they actually are. In this case - the opposite was true. They didn’t do it justice!

My room was perfect, the view was incredible (in the least expensive room on the resort). The beaches were gorgeous and the water warm.

Service was impeccable and the food was great. I didn’t leave the resort. I had room service the first evening after a long day of travel. It is the same menu - at the same prices - as the onsite restaurant. It was fabulous and delivered quickly and hot.

Prices for food and beverages - including the mini bar were reasonable in my opinion. Certainly more than I would have paid for my dinner in Bangkok (which is less than $5USD most of the time in food courts) but far less than a comparable meal in the US - and practically “budget” when compared to many other resorts I have stayed in around the world.

Service was typical for Thailand - which is excellent. While I do not expect English to be widely spoken when I am not in an English speaking country it was easy to understand everyone I encountered here. I didn’t get a chance to practice my Thai!

I indulged in spa services while here as well - also reasonably priced and fabulous. Between the relaxing atmosphere of the entire resort and my “tension relief” massage all of my stress melted away in one short weekend.

While I was a solo traveler which does not seem to be the norm here, I didn’t feel uncomfortable at any time. This place seems ideal to me for families and couples. I plan to return in a few months with two 14-year old girls who will love this place.

There are shuttles to town and around the resort, though I didn’t use them. I did learn from climbing stairs and hills that I’m not in shape like I thought I was! Some sore calves for me and I was winded after some of the climbs - but I enjoyed the waking.

Free wi-fi was good, breakfast buffet had something for everyone, and there are plenty of things to do even in the “off season”.

I will likely return in a few weeks with two 14-year old girls in tow. I’ll review again from their viewpoint.

I was very impressed with everything about Crown Lanta Resort and Spa.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled solo

Susie - we're so happy to hear that your short weekend to the island and resort left you feeling relaxed and with the want to return! Thank you so much for sharing the details of your experience, this will be very helpful for future potential guests. We look forward to you returning with your girls - see you soon!

Reviewed 16 May 2018

We stayed 5 nights at Crown Lanta Resort & Spa. Our room was very clean and had an ocean view. The resort was very clean and the staff was always quick to greet, very friendly and helpful. Pool area clean with a beautiful ocean view. Breakfast was excellent with a variety of food for all, excellent Thai, European, American style and fresh made juice. Highly recommend the buffet dinner, by the pool the food was fresh and dishes were cooked to order. Wonderful entertainment with dinner ,Thai dancers and fire show. The last night of our stay my girlfriend planned a private dinner on the beach for her husbands 50th birthday. The staff went above and beyond to make this a special night for all especially the birthday boy! They made a special cake for him and sang happy birthday. Oh, almost forgot to mention that the night before the surprise dinner on the beach, my girlfriend and I went to the beach to view the sunset and realized where the dinner would take place the view of the sunset wasn't great. We then talked to the manager and he had the setting of dinner moved so we had a full view of the beautiful Thailand sunset. The evening ended with a firework show and release of two lanterns.
Thank you Crown Lanta Resort Manager and Staff for a wonderful stay!

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Vicky F

Vicky - thank you so much for sharing your Crown experience. We love to hear you enjoyed everything from the room and views to the buffet dinner and entertainment. But most importantly we love to hear the birthday boy felt so very special and you guys were able to have the private dinner you envisioned and wanted! We look forward to welcoming you back in the future, and again thank you for sharing.