“Truely a beauty ”

Book In Advance
More Info
US$260.00*
and up
2 Days Lugu Lake and Matriarchal Society...
Ranked #1 of 93 things to do in Lijiang
Reviewed 20 July 2018 via mobile

The beauty of Lugi lake was not revealed to the outside world until 10 years ago. It was called tear drop from the heaven. The Mosuo people here are still practicing walking marriages. However, the quality of inns or hotels were not heavily regulated. You need to try the luck to find the peace and enjoy the natures.

1  Thank Xiafei C
in 5 reviews
"heavy rain"
"clear water"

Reviewed 16 July 2018 via mobile

Really enjoyable alpine views around crystal clear lake, settled on border between sichuan and yunnan. There are some nice and expensive hotels with stunning panoramic views here.

I rented a bike (40 rmb/d) and cycled to marriage bridge, where there are several long wooden paths.

Lake is quite big, with several islands; take a boat (60-200rmb) to see one. Weather is very changeable, every day there was strong sunshine as well as heavy rain. There is no separate biking path so be careful on the road. Luckily, there are not many cars. Speaking of which, you can rent electric type for a day for 300 rmb. Will try next time.
There is a mountain with cable car, though i couldnt squeeze it in this trip.

Luguhu is reachable via not very safe mountain road from lijiang (5 hours, including 6 stops, dont ask me why; 100 rmb minivan) or preferably via plane from chengdu to nearby Ninglang (1 hr from luguhu).

People here are Mosu people, mostly Mongol nationality with supposedly matriarch society. The women i talked to mostly denied their supposed powers over men.

If you wish to see Alpine scenery in China, with relatively few tourists, go here.

1  Thank luka h
Reviewed 14 July 2018

Lugu Lake was my absolute favorite spot in Yunnan. I am a 20-year-old female, and I travelled to Lugu Lake alone. I felt completely safe and welcome during my stay.

The first day, I took a bus from Lijiang. My driver was JiKeYongHua (Jake) 吉克永华, and he was the absolute best. He is of Mosuo ethnicity and lives in DaLuoShui. You can tell that he genuinely loves Lugu Lake as well as the tourists who come to visit his home. He taught us cultural traditions, sang for us, drove us around the lake, took pictures, brought us to see a nighttime dance and song performance, and dropped us off at our guesthouses. The only thing he did not do was bring us to shops and force us to spend money (something that many other tourists may be familiar with)! His phone number is 13618882938 and I have attached his picture. Obviously, he did such a great job that I am voluntarily recommending him to anyone who is interested in visiting Lugu Lake -- this is all my honest recommendation, made on my own accord.

The next day, I biked around the lake, starting and ending in DaLuoShui. I haven't biked in years, but I still made it around the lake in 10 hours (9am - 7pm, sun begins to set at around 8pm) while taking hour+-long detours at the Goddess Mountain and Mosuo Museum as well as taking tons of pictures along the way. Biking really made me have more of a personal experience with the scenery, and it was super fun! Just remember to wear sunscreen, even in rainy season.

Lugu Lake has a mysterious beauty to it, in parts because of the breathtaking views (all of the attached pictures were just casually taken with my smartphone), high altitude and cloud coverage mirrored on the horizon, passionate traditions of the Mosuo tribe (still in practice today), and the charismatic, authentic, and humorous people of Lugu Lake. It was a memory of a lifetime that I hope to revisit and relive one day!

3  Thank gkjk11
Reviewed 4 July 2018

One of the most beautiful scenery in Yunnan. I wish I have more time to spend at this lovely town. It could be a long journey from Lijiang, but its all worth. The government is working hard on the conservation of the nature at Lugu Lake.

1  Thank mhlee1990
See more reviews
Reviewed 24 April 2018 via mobile

I didn't know how beautiful it was until I get to see it myself. Lugu lake definitely become highlight for my trip to Yunnan. At first I thought it would be just like another pretty Lake in China, but then I realized why the government take a lot of effort to protect this place. The view is amazing. This is a must visit if you plan to visit Yunnan.
How to get to Lugu Lake:
1. From Lijiang: take a bus with destination to Lugu Lake, but I recommend to ask your hotel or guesthouse to ask about another transportation because bus would take longer than car. You don't have to charter the whole car, it would be too expensive. Book a seat or two in the car (you will be placed with another people with the same destination). It cost around 100yuan per trip. Book with your hotel in Lugu Lake for your trip back to Lijiang.
2. From Kunming: there is direct flight available from kunming to Lugu lake airport. Last time I checked there are 2 flights available in the morning to Lugu Lake. It can be expensive so book ahead of time. The distance from airport to Lugu Lake is pretty far but the view from the top is amazing.
Buy the bus ticket from the counter at the airport (you will see lots of people swarming at that counter with 30yuan and 50yuan price written on it). Buy the ticket to your destination, make sure you know in what area you are staying, because there are two buses with different destination. And then take the ticket and ask the driver is this the right bus for your destination and hop on.

Tips for area to stay in Lugu Lake:
1. Daluoshui: this area is the most crowded, with most shops and restaurants around. So if you don't want to be bothered to worry about food, stay here.
2. Langfang: quieter area, less crowded and less restaurants to choose from.
3. Lige: farthest from these two areas, and have less hotel and restaurants. Very quiet but the view is beautiful.

You will need to rent a car if you want to go around the lake in one day.
We tried to walk from langfang to daluoshui and it took us 3 hours total (plus photo time)

9  Thank Frozzy L