“Great Location, Great Food”

Magnolia BBQ and Fish
Ranked #238 of 1,039 Restaurants in Birmingham
Reviewed 4 November 2017

This was one of the highlights of our day trip to Birmingham. After walking the historic district, taking in the Birmingham Civil Rights Museum, visiting the 16th Street Baptist Church and viewing the moving statuary in Kelly Ingram Park we needed a chance to sit, relax and reflect. As northerners, we couldn't help feeling a little at a loss for words about the terror and pain that African Americans and many other ethnic peoples endured right on these streets and elsewhere throughout this country. Yet, in this comfortable little bbq cafe, we were welcomed and served with such warmth and joy by people who had lived it all. We met Rev. Gwendolyn C. Webb in there. She told us a little about her experiences as a foot soldier in 1963. it was a privilege to talk to her. Our food was terrific. I tried the rib tips plate with some beans and potato salad. The sauce on the tips was delicious and the tips were very tender. We also tried the fried fish plate with coleslaw, etc. Nice breaded fish that melted in your mouth. If we lived nearby, we would be frequent visitors. Owner was a great guy and truly cared about us having a good meal.

Reviewed 31 July 2017

This is the perfect place to go for lunch if you are checking out downtown Birmingham. The meat is smoky and tender and the sauce is delicious. The food is very affordable and the staff is friendly. Definitely recommended!

1  Thank atwin24hours
Reviewed 28 June 2017 via mobile

I bought a Groupon and decided to try out this restaurant. It is located in downtown Birmingham in the historic district. It is a small place and easy to miss.
I ordered the manager's special, ribs and 2 sides, for 8.99. It was delicious. Best ribs I have ever had!
The staff is super friendly and makes the dining experience really enjoyable.
I highly recommend this restaurant if you are looking for some great ribs and barbeque. A southern gem!

Reviewed 3 June 2017

My husband thought the breading on the fish was great. And the fish itself was nice and tasty. Fresh and hot. I had the ribs and was disappointed. They were not that meaty, and just not finger licking good. Frankly, I make better ribs. The beans were good. They had run out of bottled water ( really?) so we were forced to drink a sugary soda. There is a counter inside and a table outside.

1  Thank travellerfromatown
Reviewed 13 April 2017 via mobile

Great place to visit and eat some gooooood BBQ! If your in the Birmingham area this is a most stop to eat local!