“Home cooking at it's finest”
Review of Mrs B's on Fourth

Mrs B's on Fourth
Ranked #259 of 1,039 Restaurants in Birmingham
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed 25 July 2018

Found Mrs B's while looking for a late lunch around the Civil Rights Museum. This is a meat and two sides kind of place, so come hungry. It is not pretty. The decor hasn't changed since the dawn of time, but I'm here for the food, so who cares? The steam table has all the favs: fried or bbq chicken, ribs, spaghetti, meatloaf, pulled pork, and brisket. All the sides too: at least three different types of beans, black eyed peas, mac and cheese (that's considered a veg in the south I think), and several types of potatoes. It's hard to decide what to have. The folks behind the counter are friendly and helpful. The servings are generous. Our fellow customers are friendly as well, offering their suggestions of their favourite mains and sides. Ordering really is an experience in itself. I settle on the brisket, and I'm so glad i did. It is so tender, I can pull it apart with my fork. Who needs a knife? Hubby has the bbq chicken and loves the sauce. We'd lick the plates clean if it didn't seem rude. All for a very modest price.

1  Thank imothers

Reviewed 7 May 2018

Walked here around 1pm after church at 16th st Baptist. Saw many people from church there! Good Southern cooking. We had pepper steak, butter beans and greens. Ate outside.

Reviewed 21 April 2018

After visiting the Civil Rights Institute, this was the closest restaurant that popped up so that's where we went. Several uniformed officers were eating here, which is a good sign. First of all, come hungry. We asked for meatloaf, and the server piled three thick slices on the plate despite requests to stop. Then choose three sides, and you will have a plate you can barely carry to your table. She wouldn't let us stop at two sides, so we took the three. Everything was basic, tasty but simple. Loved the black eyed peas. Couldn't eat it all. We enjoyed the experience.

Reviewed 22 January 2018

My husband and I visited on a Sunday around 5:30PM. The selection of food at 5:30PM was in adequate. The doors close at 7 PM on Sunday. The selection of food should be the same at 5:30 PM as it is at noon on a Sunday. Many of the food selections on the food line were empty. And the ones that were there,were close to being empty and being scraped at the bottom. Hi selected the smothered chicken and it was excellent. The cabbage had lots of flavor and was excellent. I got the scrapings of the macaroni and cheese and it was cold and probably shouldn’t have been served. At least 10 other customers came in after us and turned around and walked out the door because there was no food on the line. The quality of food is very good. But customers after 5 o’clock should get the same great level of food and the same selections as the customers at noon. Presentation and selection is important.

Reviewed 7 September 2017

The food here is great, but you will have a hard time if you want to eat inside. It seems more set up for people who live or work downtown to swing in, get their food and go. There is very little seating. SO - Definitely go, and plan a picnic or something nearby. The food is great!