“Good, not Great”

Ranked #6 of 1,036 Restaurants in Birmingham
Price range: US$16 - US$42
Cuisines: American, French
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Welcome to Bistro 218 Nestled in the heart of Downtown Birmingham’s Financial and Theater District, Bistro 218 features side by side dining concepts. Guests can enjoy a glass of wine or craft cocktail in our upscale casual bar room and indulge in a full bar menu under or proceed through the French doors into the main dining room and take pleasure in French classics paired with seasonally procured wines and local craft beers. Reservations are available in either room. Ever changing menus are seasonal, with Gulf Coast influences and feature local foragers and farms supplying the best Alabama has to offer. Bistro 218 honors the traditions of French bistros with minimalist decor in a historical setting. Dark Brazilian mahogany, high ceilings and exposed brick adorned with local art emanate a comforting yet elegant atmosphere that is perfect for a romantic dinner, a pre-theater meal or a relaxing night out. Bistro 218 brings French cuisine to every palette. Enjoy your bistro favorites-from quiche to duck confit. We invite all of our neighborhood friends to join us for a high quality dining experience in a relaxed atmosphere where our standards in service and food are testaments to the history of Birmingham dining.
Reviewed 14 October 2018

Returned to Bistro 218 to treat our adult daughter to this restaurant. The atmosphere remains quite charming. Lovely bar area and even better dining room. Have to admit that although bartender Tim is very entertaining, the selection of glasses wine at $13 - $16/ glass for very average pours gives one the incentive to not spend much time chatting.
We shared the Fritto misto and West Indies salad for our appetizers and enjoyed them. Our server Khem raved about the Asso Bucco, which my daughter ordered. Big mistake; it was dry and very over cooked. My tournedos, although not fabulous, were very good. I therefore shared my dinner with our daughter.
We will probably try a few of the newer restaurants in the near future.

Reviewed 14 October 2018 via mobile

Everyone’s food was great. The service from Phyllis was perfect. But I feel gouged when I’m charged $5.00 for a Coke. That’s a joke and it’s little things like that that keeps people from coming back. Okay, the next time I’m there I’ll just get no charge Tap water. The restaurant could charge $3.00 for a Coke and make $2.80 but their greed will cost them because of the overcharge. We ate at Blueprint on 3rd last night and a Coke is $2.50 n

Reviewed 1 October 2018

We were staying at Tutwiler Hampton Inn & Suites for a wedding and found this restaurant based on previous good reviews. We were greeted when we walked in and led to a nice table, but then the host noticed that a large group would be seated near us and asked if we’d like a table over by the window instead. The table was great and the noise level in the restaurant was low the whole time we were there. The only problem with the menu was that it was hard to pick an entrée from the many good options; my wife chose the blackened redfish and I chose the Filet Tournedos because I love au poivre sauce. We were pleased with the presentation, taste and seasoning of both dishes. There is an extensive wine list with both glasses and bottles of wine; a good mix of California, Italian and French wines.

Reviewed 16 September 2018 via mobile

We just recently moved to Downtown Birmingham and eat out quite often. This restaurant is currently our favorite. Everything here is prepared with great care and the quality of the ingredients is fantastic.

Try the steak or the duck and don’t forget the house salad.

The head chef and owner will walk through the dining room to make sure everyone is happy.

Highly recommend it. This restaurant is a star in my book.

Reviewed 28 August 2018

Sat outside the other evening when we had nice weather. Got to use either bar or dining menu, awesome. Food as good as usual. One of our favourite spots!