“Good eats...somewhat slower and younger wait staff but the eats make the visit”

Mafiaoza's Pizzeria
Ranked #192 of 1,036 Restaurants in Birmingham
Cuisines: Italian
Reviewed 10 November 2017

Was looking for a new Italian place close to my hotel in Birmingham. A quick search later and found this place with decent reviews. Upon review of the menu the "Joey" caught my eye as I really enjoy good spicy food. Not burn your mouth with no taste but good flavors with a kick and the "Joey" sounded like it would be something I wanted to try. Although the shrimp stuffed ravioli's in a pesto sauce also sounded killer too. I figured I'd decide when I got there. Arriving at a new restaurant without any guidance or greetings from the staff can be confusing. Do you wait to be seated or seat yourself? There are no signs so I waited for a while with my best "lost" look on my face but even that didn't garner any attention from the more than a few wait staff walking around...finally I figured I'd sit since looking "lost" by the door was just making me look foolish. I figured if they wanted to seat me perhaps the act of me taking the bull by the horns and simply sitting would gain a reaction. No reaction but I did get a seat. After sitting for a few minutes without anyone coming over I did start to wonder...but eventually a young lady did come up to my table and start to take care of me. Mind you I was early on a Sunday...there was hardly anyone in the place so that confused me why the wait on attention but it worked out. So I get my menu and start to look it over. The "Joey" still had my eye but I asked the waitress about the shrimp ravioli's...she said if you like spicy...the "Joey" gets excellent reviews. There was another diner eating the ravioli in pesto and it smelled wonderful. I think I know what I'll get next time! So I get the "Joey" which is a spicy Italian sausage, mushrooms, red onions and angel hair pasta in a vodka sauce. Can I tell you it is fantastic! Be careful though as it does pack a punch...the sausage that is. The only heat comes from the sausage which is a nice balance to get heat from the sausage but no other heat in the dish. The flavors were excellent and the portion size very nice. I had enough for lunch the next day! I will definitely come back to this place. The inattention of the wait staff and confusing "seat yourself" or "don't seat yourself" would be cleared up with a simple sign that you see in so many restaurants. Of course the addition of a Hostess/Host a the front door would do the same :) I can over look the confusion and lack of attention upon arrival for only one reason...good food. Now mind you there are many others that may not be so forgiving and as a friendly "nudge" to the staff...you may want to take my feedback and implement some type of corrective action. Otherwise great job on the food and flavors! I know the shrimp stuffed ravioli's will be my next visit choice!

Reviewed 30 October 2017 via mobile

would have been rated a 4 but for the service and the average pasta. The pizza was delicious. We had a build your own and a margarita, both of which were a crunchy, wood fired crust. We shared “the Joey” pasta which was just average. The angel hair pasta was over cooked and it lacked salt. The portions were nice sized and I felt like the prices were not too high. It took a while for someone to take our order but once she did, it wasn’t a long time for our food to arrive. The waitress was nice, just not overly friendly. Would visit again for the pizza for sure.

Reviewed 27 August 2017 via mobile

We recently dined here with a group of over 30 in their party room. Our waitress did such a great job juggling all the orders and the food was awesome! Would definitely recommend for a large group!

Reviewed 13 July 2017

I met a few friends including one who lives right down the street. It was a Tuesday special night. The place was busy. We had a big table and folks were drinking none were loud or rude. Well we had 5 different serves come by! They lost my order and a table who ordered after us was about to leave when we got our food. We never saw a manager. Everything we tried was good. I liked the pizza and the ravioli app. I cannot comment on the prices since they took my pizza off the bill. Not sure I would go back. Bham has tons of great pizza places and a couple other great places right across from the street if you want Mexican.

Reviewed 14 March 2017

In a recent pizza preference test involving 5 franchise pizzas, Mafiosi's was a clear favorite among a large crowd of folks who live in a nearby apartment complex.

1  Thank Michael M