“A great experience but a definite tourist trap. Not the best way to enjoy Kobe beef”
Review of Steak Aoyama

Steak Aoyama
Ranked #2 of 11,988 Restaurants in Kobe
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Reviewed 2 May 2018

I would like to give a very honest review of this restaurant because we were very excited to have made a booking many months prior to our visit to Kobe, and as we had never tried Kobe beef before we were looking forward to the dinner. We had a very enjoyable experience here for dinner. The hosts are very friendly, especially the lady who looks after the diners with orders, drinks etc. She was a delight and made my daughter feel very welcome. The teppanyaki chef is also a pleasure - very well versed in jokes and one liners to make everyone laugh. So we chose the most expensive set menu with Kobe beef together with starters and dessert. I had a lovely red wine by the glass. The starter plate with a selection of tastings was by far the highlight of my meal. Everything was delicious, with incredible flavours. A real fine dining experience. It offered a number of wonderful seafood selections too. Now as I said we had never tasted Kobe beef before but we knew it was heavily marbled etc. The teppanyaki meal was lovely with vegetables cooked on the hot plate. However I have to be honest and say the Kobe beef was a real let down for my husband and I. Now this is just our personal opinion. I do not like huge amounts of fat on my meat and at home I generally try to trim the fat from all the cuts I cook. So when presented with big chunks of meat cooked on the hot plate - each mouthful tasted predominantly of fat. It lacked meat flavour - instead it felt like I was eating the fat from the off cuts alone. I was so disappointed and after spending close to $500 for our 3 dinners I left wondering why Kobe beef has such a strong reputation. Then I was lucky enough to understand why a few days later. We experienced an amazing multi course dinner at the onsen town we were staying at and enjoyed shabu shabu with Kobe beef. NOW I GET IT. If you want to enjoy Kobe beef as it is intended.....eat it like the Japanese do. DO not eat huge chunks of meat like westerners where the amount of fat in each piece overpowers the taste buds. When enjoying Kobe beef in shabu shabu, or sukiyaki etc.... it literally melts in your mouth and the proportion of meat to fat is spot on. The taste is sublime. So in summary, this restaurant experience is great and as a tourist driven restaurant you will have a fantastic experience. However, if you are a foodie and want to experience Kobe beef as it is intended - seek out a more traditional option.

6  Thank Barbara T

Reviewed 27 April 2018

Their menu's available on their website. If you want to eat at this restaurant, I'd highly recommend booking a reservation through Facebook Messenger (hostess told me they don't use the phone anymore). I'd tried walking in for lunch but a sign at the door said they were full so I asked for a reservation for 5pm dinner. While dining, 3 different groups came in asking about space but were denied. There was a total of 6 patrons with 1 chef cooking on the teppanyaki in front of us. He was full of humour, great conversation, and artfully prepared each dish.

The food was amazing. No matter what you order, either the host or hostess will explain each item while delivering it to you, giving you a history and geography lesson on the origins of each ingredient. The steak grade is up to A4 Kobe quality, no A5 served. Definitely the best beef I've had in my life. You'll get an option of either sea salt or a sauce to dip your beef in, but I was told to not dip one piece in both. The experience was incredibly pleasant and attentive with a 1:2 ratio of staff to customers. It's a splurge to eat here but well worth it given the quality of the food and the hospitality.

Reviewed 25 April 2018 via mobile

The restaurant has a very friendly staff and great service. However, I didn't particularly like the 5K yen lunch Kobe. I think you really need to spend at least 7-8K for a decent Kobe. If you're not getting the best Kobe then a regular steak would be better. 5K was the maximum steak price they had for lunch so I wouldn't get any Kobe here for lunch.

1  Thank Jesse L
Reviewed 24 April 2018 via mobile

The place is indeed very popular according to trip advisor. You need to “reserve one month in advance” according to the owner. However, despite the hotel having reserved a table for us and we had a signed form from the front desk, they refused to accommodate us despite us having arrived all the way from Kyoto and half the restaurant had empty tables. Be careful of “non existent reservations once you arrive at the door!!” It maybe a good restaurant, but with poor hospitality, no flexibility in management and no human kindness!.

6  Thank Inediti
Reviewed 23 April 2018 via mobile

Kobe beef, no question that it is excellent. Although pricey, it comes with much lower price compared with Kobe beef in countries other than Japan.

What makes is more excellent dining experience is the personal touch this restaurant gives to the guests, entertaining chef and the friendly ambience of everything in the restaurant. Before leaving the restaurant, the owner gave me a postcard, making it more memorable.