“Elevated Filipino food.”

Sialo
Ranked #387 of 841 Restaurants in Cebu City
Price range: US$34 - US$48
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

First molecular gastro experience I've ever had. Fun times, fully exceeded my expectations. That soup was ridiculous, dessert was awesome. Probably coming back.

Reviewed 3 March 2018 via mobile

Unique impressive gastronomic meal you will ever have and worth the experience!This budding chef is definitely going places!

1  Thank Cher L
Reviewed 23 February 2018 via mobile

Dear @ronaldvillavelez
I enjoyed the #degustation dinner at your place last Sunday night. I am amazed with the amount of dishes that you made and they were all so wonderful. Thank you for spending so much time to prepare it. They were all my favorite!Thanks Again,

2  Thank msfilipinatraveler
Reviewed 18 February 2018

Dining in Sialo is truly an experience to savor. My mind, my tongue, my tummy delved into the degustation dinner prepared by Chef Ron. He introduced us to molecular gastronomy and patiently explained each dish to us as he and his team served every dish. Ronald's culinary diversion started when his cook resigned and he took over the cooking. "There's no art to this," he said. And that started him off to this culinary adventure. He guided us through the food chemistry he concocted starting from the amuse bouche made of yoghurt sphere; red pepper purée and goat’s cheese; compressed watermelon, pickled goat’s cheese and basil; and smoked bangus paté with sushi ginger and truffle caviar. The main course for me was salmon. It ended with the two desserts of masareal sorbet and budbud. Ronald has opened to us a new vista where traditional Cebuano food like kinilaw, masareal and budbud take on new appearance and dimension. He told us he is interested in making new food pairings. Bravo Chef Ronald !!! Your creativity from poetry, to the fashion runway, and now to the dining table is unleashed. You are truly an artist! It's an experience I will treasure always. Bravo ! If you are in planning to be in Cebu, please book him in advance.

2  Thank Lady_Dapdap
Reviewed 5 February 2018 via mobile

Our Sialo degustacion nights with Chef Ron surpasses one after the other. At least to the palate, nothing is the same. You will do yourself a favor if you prepare to be surprised at every turn.

We started off with four types of amuse-bouches: yoghurt sphere with gotu kola; goat cheese with red pepper puree; compressed water melon and pickled goat cheese with sangig (local basil); and smoked anduhaw pate with sour cream, dill and truffle caviar.

I was personally transfixed on how gotu kola could pack so much flavor if paired with the right ingredients. I didn’t know that what grew so abundantly in my lola’s frontyard back then could do that to the palate. The bitter aftertaste is mellowed down by it’s nutty undertones and subtle sourness from the yoghurt. All four delivered different experiences but the last one, the anduhaw pate is just taking it to a whole new level. What, anduhaw? I only serve it either grilled or paksiw at home! Now, paired with dill and truffle caviar, is packing such flavor that my tastebuds started dancing, I couldn’t wait for the next course. What a way to tease the senses!

The Love Soup, is Chef Ron’s own take of Cebuano’s exotic favorite Soup Number 5. The meat was cured for hours, cooked separately from the broth, all infused in spices, then pureed and strained to achieve the desired consistency. While we Cebuanos are used to the singular flavor of our dishes, this one is layered in different flavors and spices, came out to have a similar consistency of our another favorite balbacua, but never the same. I am not a fan of Soup Number 5, but this one, I love!

After a heady burst of flavor from the Love Soup, we moved on to the simple Beetroot salad with vinaigrette dressing and gotu kola. Husband and I are partial to beetroot. Knowing what it does to the health, and now paired with gotu kola, what’s not to like?

We thought the Love Soup was the ultimate surprise of the night, but Chef Ron wasn’t done yet. The next course was Heart of Palm Fettuccine with Reggiano-Parmegiano and Popcorn Powder. OK, I’ll give you a minute to take that all in.

Done? Yes. Ubod sa lubi, dzaaai! Stripped ever so patiently to resemble fetuccine, served with popcorn powder. I don’t know what sorcery it was, but together, they tasted so good in the mouth, the texture perfect, the aroma unforgettable. I want to clone Chef Ron, just so you know.

To clean our palate, Chef served a drink of mixed gin, ginger, lavender, lemon peel, jasmine, galanggal, lemongrass and rosal through an infusion siphon. Sometimes I wonder how he came up with these things! Rosal and gin, really?! But it was palate-cleansing alright, and so refreshing!

By this time, all of us were floored. But the next dish just brings it to yet another level. How do you deconstruct a homegrown favorite kinilaw? Chef Ron just showed us. He separated the process of doing the fish and the coconut sauce of doing the kinilaw. As per Chef, the kinilaw is a very crude cooking method. You have to eat it right away or else your fishmeat will be overcooked with the acid. So what Chef did was cure the fish with salt, sugar, peppercorn, coriander seeds, fennel seeds, vodka and dill for 24 hours. This is done to infuse flavor and aroma. For the sauce, instead of vinegar, he used kalamansi juice. Turned the coconut-kalamansi sauce into jelly, pickled the guso seaweed separately and garnished the dish with sinaw-sinaw and pickled shallots. The result is a dance of the familiar and the new; a beautiful and surprising gastronomic journey. I was literally left speechless. That melts-in-your-mouth fish is simply divine. The familiar kinilaw flavor is there, and yet different. How is that possible?

I could just end the night right there and I can go to bed happy. But wait, there’s more! Chef Ron served us, for our main, the all-time favorite pork belly. This time sous-vide for 36 hours but before that, was cured for 24 hours. Garnished with heritage carrots, apple puree, celery puree, rice crackling, vegetable demi glace and radish sprouts. I personally think the sous-vide pork is tasty enough without the demi glace, so I ate the whole thing, together as much as possible, without the demi glace.

Now, we’re off to dessert. I can barely hold my excitement. Before this night, Chef asked us our favorite local kakanin that he can try in the degustacion. If this wasn’t clear before this, this chef has the knack of turning something so ordinary into a journey of pleasant surprises.

Then he served us masareal sorbet with cucumber done three ways. Ladies and gentlemen, your humble masareal has just been elevated. And paired with cucumber at that, refreshing and satisfying at the same time!

Last but definitely not the least, is the humblest budbud. Ground sticky rice done differently but still maintaining that familiar, homey feel. This budbud is served with coconut and ginger sorbet. And instead of the usual sikwate that budbud is paired with, Chef made his own coco powder, Alongside is mango and lemon puree, then topped with white chocolate and coconut foam. The first bite, never quite like the next, and then the next. It’s a whole new experience everytime. So many layers, so many flavors teasing the tastebuds. So familiar, yet so new. I think I found the holy grail of budbud. What a way to close a degustacion! Bravo this, Chef Ron!

3  Thank Bernadette S