“I don’t understand 5 star reviews”
Review of El Fogon

El Fogon
Ranked #5 of 133 Restaurants in David
Cuisines: Central American
Reviewed 17 September 2022 via mobile

Firstly when you arrive they have to let you in as door is locked. Safety must be an issue in the area

Food. Well frankly I think it’s mediocre. We had the peppered steak and the Fried Rosada Fish. I have lots of Rosada in south of Spain and frankly this is really poor in comparison.
Steak in peppered sauce was not the best.

Service was excellent however had not even the starter and they brought the main course.

It was also too rushed.

I don’t understand these 5 star reviews.

Date of visit: September 2022

Reviewed 1 September 2022

We hadn't been there in a long time and thought we would visit it again. Our only regret is that we didn't come back sooner. I had a basic fried shrimp and they were the biggest and juiciest fish I have had in a long time. Crispy on the outside tender and juicy in the middle. My wife had fish in a white sauce and both were delicious. Nothing fancy, but well done. The service was friendly and helpful. It was a great experience and we will be back soon.

Date of visit: August 2022
Reviewed 11 March 2022

The fish and pollo asado were delicious! Very reasonably priced as well, good, friendly service. Near downtown.

Date of visit: July 2021
Reviewed 7 January 2020

Consistent quality and care in well-cooked, fresh food. Excellent service. A favourite place to eat in Davis!

Date of visit: December 2019
Reviewed 7 August 2019

My impression of David is that it is the "fast food" capital, but I want tasty food that seems like a decent homecooked meal. If you want to find a place with tasty, well prepared food and a nice, comfortable atmosphere, with resonable prices, you want to check this one out. Most of the entrees seem to be seafood-related, although there is something for everyone. Very attentive waiters, and some speak enough English to help youu understand what you are ordering, in case that is a problem. The chicken soup is really good, Sopapollo. I took a white fish dinner, which was covered with their house white sauce, ala Fogon. Also, really good. Of the various reasonably priced restaurants I have visited, this one is a favorite. Also, this is a place you won't be disappointed with if you want to entertain some guests.

Date of visit: July 2019