“Same Sh… Different Day”
Review of Oh-Toro

Oh-Toro
Ranked #89 of 133 Restaurants in David
Reviewed 27 December 2022

I feel like Charlie Brown thinking Lucy will actually let me kick the football. I keep giving these folks chances thinking they will change.

SLOW Service. Always incomplete supplies…. No avocado, no meat.

Wasted my time once again.

Fa ged aboud…….oh toro.

I live here and would like a well run Japanese/ Asian place. Unfortunately corporate or local management has their head somewhere other than here.

Date of visit: December 2022

Reviewed 13 December 2019

We have never eaten at Oh Toro in David, but in the small mountain of Boquete (a beautiful town called, "The Jewel of Panama" because, well it is!) the opening of a branch of Oh Toro here was much anticipated. With all the fresh fish available, as a town we were drooling for some sushi in our darling hamlet. I must say, Oh Toro Boquete is a total disappointment. First of all, the menu is from the David branch; however, we were informed by our waiter that prices are $1 higher per item here in Boquete though the menu reads $1 less. From what we understand, this is due to the regional area of Boquete where there is a very large ex-pat population, the assumption being ex-pats have the money to *waste.* This is the first offense. Secondly, there is only outdoor seating, and it was quite breezy here (December begins our "summer weather", but it was unusually cold that evening." I caught a cold the next day. Be that as it may, that's purely circumstantial. However, the final two offenses were slow service, more rice than fish (which was very, very vinegary; I know sushi rice is "cured" with vinegar, but it was so intense it obscured almost every other flavor.) When we travel to David for shopping (45 min away from Boquete), we have tried Nacionsushi there on 3 occasions and been thrilled each and every time. I will write a separate review on that. In short, we will NOT be giving our business to Oh Toro Boquete ever again. Woof! Overpriced and certainly not worth it.

Date of visit: December 2019
Reviewed 25 June 2018

This June 2018, we went to Oh Toro... as we entered I looked at my watch as we did not have a lot of time... it was 115pm. There were two other tables with people having something to eat. It took a few minutes for the waiter to come to our table... gave us menus while we order something to eat. A few minutes later the waiter came back and
we give him our order. My companion received her order in about 15 minutes...Sometime later...about 20 to 30 minutes we asked the watier where was my order "It's coming" was the response we got.

At 250 pm (I checked my watch) we asked the waiter to make my order a take out. We got the order a few minutes later and departed.

From when we got to Oh Toro and left was a total of an hour and 20 minutes to get one order.

The food is ok, the service is lously... neither of which even begin to come up to the
Oh Toro in Albrook Mall. I highly recommend that one.

It will be a very, very, long time before we go back to the Oh Toro in David.... we do live in David but there are a lot of other place to eat.... and it does not take more than an hour and a half to get your order.

Date of visit: June 2018
Reviewed 7 May 2018

I love Japanese food and was pleased when I saw the sign in David advertising Sushi and Ramen. Little did I know it would be the best dining experience around. In Japanese cooking, attention to detail, to a really fine level is expected and this place meets the mark. The food was superb, I mean excellent on all accounts. The way it was served was right out of Japan on special dishes. There was nothing to do but enjoy each mouthful. The place itself is comfortable, air conditioned, good views above the road, and good lighting. I did have problems with the waiter and I can't lay this fully on the restaurant although they need to check this guy. He brought us our drinks AFTER we finished eating our food! I think I remember he had a little goatee but I didn't get his name. If I go again, I will ask for a different waiter. I think if anyone leaves this place thinking it is bad, it is them and not having a refined international palette that was the problem, now the restaurant or the food.

Date of visit: March 2018
Reviewed 2 May 2018 via mobile

Server took 10 minutes to flag down. Water took over 10 minutes to arrive. Had to ask thrice. Food took 30 minutes to arrive. Basically waited almost an entire hour before I could eat. When food did finally arrive, it did not even look like the pictures - there were clearly items missing from what is listed in the description. Same thing happened my previous visit but with a different dish. Manager told me that I have to tell the server if I want the food as it is described and shown in the menu. If I didn’t, why would I order the dish?! What kind of logic is that?! Melon that came with bento was definitely past its expiration date - smelled foul, took a bite and had to spit it out. Disappointing. Don’t bother.

Date of visit: May 2018