“Best bread EVER”
Review of Bonfiglio & Bread

Bonfiglio & Bread
Ranked #3 of 12 Restaurants in Athens
Reviewed 28 September 2015

The bread is unbelievable. The croissants exquisite. Someone said they're burned. NO.... They are properly baked. Love this place. I will travel to get the bread.

Reviewed 24 July 2015

Oh dear. Bonfiglio. Gabrielle Gulielmetti is a decent guy. He has worked hard to make a business in Hudson when others were suspicious of moving there and doing well. He is a self taught baker and the darling of the surrounding area. He is not above damning other businesses, he called the pastries at Moto 'amateur' and 'boring'. He laughed that I liked their pastries so much. His breads and small dishes are charming and delicious. HOWEVER. The dark roast coffee is not dark and the croissant are very greasy and almost inedible. Apparently this is deliberate. We have chatted in a good natured way a few times about the coffee. Gabrielle admitted that it wasn't very dark and a bit weak. Today when I went to get my breakfast I asked (as they had been on vacation) if the coffee had changed. No. It hadn't. Then, thinking she couldn't be seen, Dana... one of the staff said, "I f'king hate that guy." Did that woman say she hates me? I asked her co-worker. "No, she was talking about somebody else." She lied. So I asked the hater why she hated me for asking about the coffee. Dana is one of those people who doesn't like getting caught. She asked combatively why I came in if I didn't like the product. (Any of her business?) Well, a badly timed comment from a poorly trained staff member and a man with a bad temper was not the best cocktail for an early Friday morning. A huge screaming fight ensued. Me shouting... mostly. Other people shouted at me for shouting at them, some guy I filmed (I film or record everything nowadays) was very threatening. Dana wanted to call the police because I was 'belligerent' (not a crime) and I wanted her to apologize. Why the annoyance? It turns out that Dana and Gabe had read my Yelp review about their croissant being too greasy and didn't appreciate it. Ignoring the other nice things I'd written about their bakery. Why, Gabe asked, "Instead of writing about it... didn't you talk to me?" Well, as I found out this morning, talking to Gabe about anything inspires insults from his staff. We all calmed down, we chatted in the street but Dana found it very hard to own up, that her actions were responsible for the ensuing chaos. Businesses like Bonfiglio had better get used to the fact that an online review needs to be considered with great care. Those of us who take the time to write about business do so with fairness and consideration at our heart. I don't give a damn who hates me but when they are caught hating and insulting me then prepare to be challenged. At the very heart of this fight was Gabe's assertion that because he had made something with his bare hands that it was beyond reproach. This is simply not true. I would still advise people try Bonfiglio but the dark coffee is not dark and the croissant are very greasy. As for Dana, nobody needs your opinion about them when they are trying to buy breakfast.

2  Thank hwoodhills
Reviewed 24 July 2015

This place was cute, had great service, and delicious food. The ladies working the counter were adorable and really kind. As far as food, the ham and cheese pastry was our favorite.

Reviewed 1 July 2015

Seriously good bread, many varieties. I especially like their quinoa loaf and their "pinwheel" cheese pastry.

Reviewed 13 May 2015

I am a bakery aficionado, and Bonfiglio and a winner. They make excellent crusty, chewy breads, and also fabulous pastries. I wish they were in my neighborhood in my home state. Or maybe I don't wish that, because I'd probably be there every day and weigh a lot more!