“A good effort for a small town”
Review of Rive Gauche Bistro

Rive Gauche Bistro
Ranked #1 of 13 Restaurants in Athens
Reviewed 22 July 2018 via mobile

An almost French bistro is very unexpected in a place as obscure as Athens NY, and someone deserves credit for the effort. But restaurants are not reviewed on the basis of effort, but execution. And here Rive Gauche should be thankful for the absence of competition. Food, ok, but more so so. Wine, pretty good. Noise level, unbearable, so unbearable we had to leave to escape it. But younger folks in attendance seemed less troubled by it, and therefore, if looking for dinner in this neighborhood, worth a try.

Reviewed 7 July 2018 via mobile

Rive Gauche is a delightfully unexpected French bistro in the little town of Athens. Food was prepared with care and served in a warm and friendly fashion. I’ve lived in Paris and this place made me feel like I was home again.

1  Thank kbockl
Reviewed 1 June 2018

I thought there would be a lot more French items on the menu. The escargot was tasty. The food was very good, but, the prices are like NYC prices. For the area I think they are way overpriced.

2  Thank PrincessVahineMaui
Reviewed 29 January 2018

You will have a solid dining experience here, but you long for a more "French" dining experience. The moules frites are wonderful (there are 3 variations on the menu) and the French onion soup, the coq au vin and short rib bourguignon will satisfy a craving, but a deeper essence of French is missing here - alas, maybe if the escargot wasn't hidden in a puff pastry I'd feel differently.

1  Thank Todd W
Reviewed 7 December 2017

Met friends for our annual holiday dinner and had two excellent apps. The pate was excellent and our shared escargot was heavenly. The mussels were sweet and perfectly seasoned and the salmon was generous with a lovely mustard rosemary sauce. Our hostess was friendly and made us feel at home stopping by personally to say hi, and the setting was perfect. The wait staff who served us was a bit overwhelmed ,maybe new for the holiday season, but she has a steep learning curve and seemed undone. I do hope she makes it!!

1  Thank Patricia H