We stayed here for a week in January 2018. We chose this hotel as from the reviews we noted it was a family friendly hotel & we were traveling with a 15 month old baby.
First impressions - lovely looking hotel with an impressive entrance & grounds. Easy check in with welcome drink. There are steps from the reception area to the grounds where the rooms are & there is no lift for this hence it was a hassle with the stroller as we always had to take the little one out & carry baby & stroller separately. These steps can be quite slippery in the rain.
Rooms - standard. Just about enough room for our luggage. Enough towels & complimentary toiletries, & also complimentary bottled water daily. Whenever we ran out of anything or needed anything they were quite quick to attend/replace. The path leading up to the rooms was also quite tricky with the stroller due to the path not completely paved with patches of grass in between.
Wifi was very good throughout the hotel.
Sun kids club- this was just behind our room which was handy. The kids club was great for our little one. Lots of toys, baby pool & pool toys. Our little one enjoyed spending time there. We didn't know until the last day that they offered a baby sitting service (at an extra charge).
Food - we thought the food was overall great. At the buffet, they had different theme nights & many items were cooked in front of you. There was plenty of items suitable for the little one & they can puree food for babies too. The only thing is we felt the food was a bit too salty hence may not be suitable for younger babies. This was our first big trip away with the baby but food-wise it was fine. As mentioned in previous reviews there are 2 restaurants for which you get credit for Tides & Citronella. We only got to eat at the Tides as the day we had the Citronella booked, it was closed due to the cyclone.
Staff - generally great. Very polite, friendly & at times nothing was too much trouble for them. Whilst we were there, there was a cyclone & we had to stay within the hotel grounds for 2 days, we had some minor issues with lights etc but they were very quick to attend when called.
There were a couple of issues we weren't happy about.
Firstly we booked this holiday in order to celebrate my husband's birthday whilst there. At check in we were asked about the date of our wedding anniversary so that they can do a surprise for us, I mentioned that its not our anniversary but it is my husbands' birthday
in 2 days & I was told that there would be a little surprise for the birthday. However, the birthday came & went & there was no surprise cake or anything. I didn't think too much of it but during our stay we saw twice the celebrating of birthdays of 2 different guests with a surprise cake & singing by staff etc, this was quite disappointing.
Secondly, one night our baby woke up in the night crying & it was difficult to settle, the neighbours started banging & shouting through the interconnecting door which was quite distressing for us & baby. The next morning at breakfast, we were approached by ?guest relation manager about this who gave us the option of changing rooms as the neighbours were unhappy. We decided to change rooms as we couldn't go through another night of someone banging/shouting if our baby woke up crying. We felt the situation wasn't handled fairly especially as the room given to us was not like for like (there was less floor space for luggage/baby cot etc) & we spent our time unnecessarily packing/unpacking in order to change rooms. Travelling with a small baby, you tend to have a lot of stuff. We did speak to guest relations about the above concerns but then no one got back to us.
All in all it was a good stay, & we would consider staying again due to the kids facilities.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- At the heart of 12 acres of tropical gardens, the luxurious Sugar Beach Resort extends along a vast white sandy beach bordered by the sparkling turquoise waters of the Indian Ocean. An idyllic setting surrounded by lush greenery and open spaces, this cool Mauritian Resort displays a colonial style blended with contemporary architecture. The restaurants, beachfront and inventive gourmet kitchens complete this romantic setting which is ideal for a honeymoon or a dream wedding in tropical paradise. Sugar Beach also offers a unique concept with the Aura Spa & Hammam Fitness Centre, unique in Mauritius. The unrivalled comfort, well planned layout and diversity of land and water activities make this resort a perfect holiday destination for families and honeymooners alike. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Agoda, Expedia, Ctrip TA, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Sugar Beach Mauritius reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sugar Beach Hotel Flic En Flac
- Hotel Sugar Beach
- Sugar Beach Resort Mauritius