Sugar Beach Mauritius
Aanari Hotel & Spa(Flic En Flac)
US$133
US$171
US$159
  • Breakfast included
  • Pool
Hotels.com
Anelia Resort & Spa(Flic En Flac)
US$312
US$149
Expedia
La Pirogue Mauritius(Flic En Flac)
US$295
US$273
永安旅遊
  • Pool
Villas Caroline(Flic En Flac)
TripAdvisor
  • Breakfast included
Les 2 canons(Flic En Flac)
TripAdvisor
3,587 results
All reviewsquiet pooltides restaurantsugar beachmanor housesouth poolmon plaisirkids clubsister hotel la pirogueall inclusive packagecitronella restauranthalf boardmain restaurantour honeymoonmain poolcolonial stylebuffet restauranta la carte restaurants
Reviewed 21 January 2018

This is not a 5 star hotel. Don't be fooled by the "all inclusive" as every hotel on the island offers this benefit. Quality of service is extremely slow and not focused around the customer at all. Poor administration team, lack of management oversight. Staff frequently forget to do up the rooms and if your luckily enough to have it done you will have to fight to have your mini bar restocked. when trying to engage the famous boat house, with your complementary water sports the staff answer your questions with other questions. I would not recommend this hotel not even as a 3 star.

Room Tip: Dont bother getting all inclusive, highly limited options
  • Stayed: January 2018, travelled with family
5  Thank DarylBart
Nicolas D, General Manager at Sugar Beach Mauritius, responded to this reviewResponded 22 January 2018

Dear DarylBart,

It was a pleasure of having you staying with us at Sugar Beach Resort and I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience.

Reviewed 20 January 2018

Arrivals:
2 out of 5 - no welcome drinks and for a 5-star resort, nobody to greet you. It was hot, so did I mention no welcome drinks. They did however take your bags directly to your room which was a plus. It was however not like a whole tour bus arrived at once - we were 9 people (3 families arriving on the same bus) 2 of the families (4 adults 2 kids) were travelling together.
Restaurants:
Buffet - like another reviewer stated, kind of like a kindergarten on meth. People everywhere, so come early - DONT come late. Variety of food is good with different themes every night. Breakfast is standard buffet style but service for a 200 plus audience can be expected to be lacking / impersonal.
Citronella's - excellent service, good menu, stunning location, I would recommend eat there as often as you can but be careful, over a week you could run out of options on the All Inclusive package menu.
Tides - keep it to the cocktails and light sandwiches, Pizza bases are like baked sandles - very VERY tough. Cocktails were kind of inconsistent but still went down well - sometimes it could knock your sandles off, other times they could have been virgin cocktails. La Pirogue's cocktail bar seemed better.
Kids Club:
Ours (8 & 11) lost interest in 5 minutes - they run an agenda but the baking competition was actually making sandwiches which the "judges" (caregivers) ate most of in order to "judge". Kind of like a lets-make-lunch-for-everyone-to-share competition. The kids have far more fun beach and pool-side.
Rooms:
Rooms were fair. I've traveled to some of the furthest corners in Africa and have stayed in far superior 5 star rooms. Would rate them about 3 star. Beds were 2 double beds, not queens so you will not sleep 2 average adults in a bed together too comfortably. Possibly good for Honeymoon, not so much for family. If you have older children, rather pay for an extra room or book at La Pirogue. Beds were not turned down at night when you were out to dinner, nor was there an offer to do so. Thus no chocolate or the like on your pillow at night - has happened without fail in some of the deepest spots in Africa. Cupboard and drawer space was more than enough for a family of 4 so that was actually excellent. Here's the kicker - they put a Nespresso machine with 3 capsules in your room....only the first capsule is free! Seriously at about ZAR 5 per capsule (USD 0,41)?? Really, come one!! Normal sachets of coffee, sugar and creamer are available. Minibar and snacks are plentiful but pay attention to what is all inclusive and what is not! Non-AI is expensive.
WiFi is everywhere, acceptable speeds and free so that is good, but no better than any other 3 star hotel. What is good is you can call for different types of pillows - we got a set of memory foam pillows.
Bathroom:
No double vanity so that was cramped for the 4 of us. Shower door would not open without scraping heavily on the floor, in serious need of maintenance. My wife and kids could not close it - it had to be lifted and solid glass doors are not light so ended up showering with it ajar, further cramping the bathroom. Toilet stall - door could not close - needed sever pressure to get it to latch - more maintenance needed. Offers in-room safe. Bathrooms no more than a 3 star.
Service:
Oh boy - if you can find a quiet corner at the breakfast area - you will be forgotten. If you get there early, go around and sit next to the smoking section - you have a better chance of some service there. If not, sit with the masses and experience your boarding school days again. Pool side service is great - they really seem to focus on this but reserve your lounger as early as possible - a towel on a lounger however could or could not signify someone is using it - you will see that it was not being used by the towels still left on the loungers at 7pm at night - those were the unused ones! There is however enough space for all - no need to lie on the sand / bricks. Having your door knocked on at 9pm at night asking if you wanted more towels was a bit off-putting. Normal protocol across the world is throw the towel in the bath to have it replaced otherwise hang / fold. That does not happen for you either. If you call reception for something and they need to put you through to another service line, they don't transfer you, they tell you to dial another number??? Reminded me of my banks call centre!
Pools:
This is where they shine...literally. Magnificent pool, huge, no issue of crowding, lovely kids pool area adjoining main pool and safe.
Beach - quite a bit of corral in the waterline so take beach shoes / sandles - otherwise you wont be moving too freely in the water either. I didn't and it was manageable but you had to tread carefully. Still better than full corral beaches. Rest of the beach, sand was powdery and great.
All in all, great for kids, a bit pricey for a 5 star and would rate it a 3.5 star hotel with 24 hour room service - if you use it you chose the wrong place for a holiday....or are on honeymoon!

Room Tip: Ground floor room on the ends have no one above you. Beach front villa's have excellent location.
  • Stayed: January 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank eugenes183
Nicolas D, General Manager at Sugar Beach Mauritius, responded to this reviewResponded 26 January 2018

Dear Arthur S,

It was a pleasure of having you staying with us at Sugar Beach Resort and I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your constructive feedback with us.

I am obviously sorry to read that we have not entirely lived up to your expectations as far as or facilities and services are concerned. There is always room for improvement and will use your feedback to re-establish standards where necessary and re-enforcing our training so as to achieve excellent levels of service even when the hotel is at high occupancy. It is always our goal to have satisfied customers and would sincerely like to have the opportunity of regaining your confidence in Sugar Beach Resort and to show you the better side of the resort.

We are actually working on plans to uplift our facilities as a part of our continuous efforts to meet our guests’ expectations. Rest assured your comments and suggestions are well received and we have shared your points with relevant teams concerned

Reviewed 19 January 2018

We first stayed at theis hotel in September 2015 and loved it. We were there to attend our friend's son's Hindu Wedding. When we were invited again to the daughter's Hindu wedding in 2017 the Sugar Beach was the hotel of our choice again. Everything about the hotel is fabulous. Our room overlooked the ocean. On arrival we were presented with a bottle of rum. When we checked in we were asked if we were celebrating anything in particular and as it happens it was our 41st wedding anniversary while we were there. The hotelpulled out all the stops. We had a five course meal at Tides restaurant on the hotel with cocktails and wine. When we returned to our room it had ben decorated with flower petals and the white towels were transformed into swans. They even had eyes! My husband received a complimentary t shirt and I had a sarong. We also had a bottle of wine. This hotel certainly knows how to look after it's guests. The ffod was extremly good, buffet style themed nights. The staff were caring and helpful there was nothing too much for them. I would like to send our thanks to the General Manager and all his staff for another wonderful stay at the Sugar Beach thank you all. Should we visit Mauritius again there is onky one hotel we would stay at and that's the Sugar Beach.

Room Tip: Best rooms in my vies=w are the sea view rooms.
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple

Dear Laura198531,

Thank you for your kind acknowledgement of our warm hospitality and the facilities offered. We make every effort to maintain the high standards of facilities and quality services proposed, and we are delighted that your holidays were beyond your expectations.

Furthermore, I am specially pleased to learn that you found our team members friendly. Thank you very much again for your kind words and your warm praise of our hotel. I shall certainly forward your feedback to the entire team, as I am sure that they will feel more motivated to work even better.

We value all your comments which help us to continue to strive for perfection and look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 19 January 2018

As frequent travellers to Mauritius and globally, Sugar Beach still remains one of our favourite hotels. It has been said that the island is a paradise. For us, this hotel typifies this paradise for its excellent beach, grounds, facilities and staff. The staff are exceptionally pleasant, chatty and helpful, and have made our holiday in this beautiful resort truly memorable. We took full advantage of the water sports, gym and golf facilities, all of which were well organised and run by very helpful and pleasant staff – no request was too much trouble! We gave in to the fusion of tasty food in the restaurants and the great service - sadly now more dieting is required in UK!!! No doubt we will return to this superb hotel in the very near future.

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple

Dear Allen S,

Kind regards,

Reviewed 16 January 2018

To firstly qualify my review, let me just say that I’ve stayed in more than 12 different resorts in Mauritius in about 17 visits to this wonderful destination.
Having made my qualification , from an opening point of view, I don’t know how this resort is rated a 5 star. It is by some margin, the worst resort I’ve ever stayed in.
The service is non existing . It started with our arrival welcome . We’re accustomed to be welcomed immediately on arrival with the customary welcome drink. No, that doesn’t happen at this resort . We stood around for some 10 or more minutes before we were approached and after asking for a drink, i was told that ts coming . It did. It’s a FAIL
Now for the room. The room is rather standard fare and nice . One major major flaw is that there is no lighting in the room save for a standing lamp in corner and ONE bedside lamp and TWO beds . As a consequence, I was not able to read at all.reading is something I enjoy doing before going to sleep. It’s a FAIL
Now the bathroom. For a five star, it’s cramped with a single basin bit still acceptable but NOT 5 STAR . It’s BELOW AVERAGE since in other 4 star resorts, one gets better space and a double basin. Overall , acceptable but the mere fact that there is no possibility of reading in bed , it’s a HUGE FAIL. For reference, we were on a ground floor garden facing room .
Breakfast was a bun fight for what is standard fare on the highland . Service was non existing even when waving at waiters, we were ignored or simply , not seen.
Ok, it can happen so we decided that the next morning, we’d get there soon after 7am so that we would do be crowded at the food buffet and enjoy some service for a change . We were very wrong. We got there at the planned time and we’re happy to see only 5 out of the 100+ tables occupied . There were 7 waiters chatting to each other and failing to get any response from vigorous waving, I stood up and went to ask for service . The result is a FAIL .
BEACH service was friendly and acceptable . it’s a pass with a VERY GOOD rating .
ALL INCLUSIVE is sub standard and by far the worst available of ALL resorts we’ve stayed in . The ALL INCLUSIVE restaurants, only Citronellas is not only acceptable but VERY GOOD. I’d experienced their good service and food on a previous occasion when we stayed at La Piroque resort , which may I add, rated an excellent stay and highly recommended.
The TIDES Restaurant is sub standard and would rather eat my beach shoe than their pizza . What are they thinking of. As for the food selection @available to the All inclusive brigade, I’d rather queue and take my chances at the buffet counter . It’s the first time ever that the little chocolates in the mini bar were not part of the all inclusive. Not re ommended and a TOTAL FAIL.
STAFF were willing but at best inadequate. Did I discuss these failings wth staff ? Yes. The response was that they were aware of the problems and thanked me for bringing it to their attention. I told them that I was here on a family holiday and not there to tell them how to run their business .
Overall, the resort which advertises itself as a GOLF RESORT , will organise you a taxi to take you to a golf course somewhere in the area but NOT on the resort . What are they think ? The hotel is , I’m told, due for a revamp which can’t come soon enough .
Would I recommend it ? NO. Tourists have at least dozens of cheaper and vastly better resorts in Mauritius. In closing (phew) it was my 70th birthday and the hotel did give the the customary Birthday cake. Pity it was delivered at 9:30pm when I was asleep . Normally, I’d be reading .

Room Tip: Any room will satisfy
Stayed: January 2018, travelled with family