Elm Tree Motel(Craryville)
  • Free Internet
US$127
US$117
Agoda.com
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 2 August 2016

Each year in July my family gets together for a reunion at Lake Taghanic State Park. Those of us who have come from longer distances than a just a day trip stay over at the Taghkanic Motel for the weekend. This motel (and Jo Jo's Pizza) have become part of our family's tradition. The place is clean and the family who runs it are lovely people. You get the basics: a clean bathroom, clean beds, good air conditioning and a small fridge. There's no coffee makers in the rooms.... but the Getty station is just across the street and they have good coffee there:) There are two picnic tables; one on either end of the motel. This past time we were there my family took up 7 out of the 10 rooms. The owner's son was kind enough to move the picnic tables together by the tree house, which is located right next to a very large lawn. We cooked out and had a blast! It's a very basic and we just love it!

Room Tip: All the rooms are pretty much the same:)
  • Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 May 2016

This is a quiet hotel with nice owners. They keep it really neat and we enjoyed our stay. The hotel was close to the small airport and it met all our needs. We liked it for the 3 days we stayed. Felt like I was back in the 60's in decor.
The choices of food were amazing. The Taghkanic Diner and Jo Jo s pizza were out front, and the food was great!! I reccomend this hotel, if you wanna keep your money for antiques and food!!! Nearby hotels were double or more the price! Beautiful area!

• Stayed: April 2016, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 November 2011

We ended up here on July 4th weekend after one place nearby was full, and two others looked too creepy. We got the last room, and they probably took a guess at what the highest price they could say was which would not make me leave.

This is the sort of place I would normally be thrilled with. It's a long 'log cabin' style building from 1955, with a neon-less 'MOTEL' sign on the roof. The setting was very tranquil, farm fields and hills, along with a great old diner and an ice cream/pizza place. Our room was very worn, and featured plentiful fake wood paneling. The bed was clean, but the mattress was a bit old. Our room did have a fridge, but the clock was a ridiculous piece of flea market garbage (black plastic Peterbilt cab, missing a wheel, with a cheap broken clock set into it). There were some other odd touches, like an old typewritten sheet informing you that you had a choice between channel 6 and 10. I'm pleased they left it up, since it put a smile on my face. The little TV did have cable, but it was a bizarre selection (every ESPN, all the shopping channels, no networks, a few random things like A&E). The little bathroom was clean enough, and had pink celluloid 'tile' with cornflower blue fixtures. No tub, just a shower.

If we had only paid what this place was worth, I would have been ecstatic. Because of the price, I almost gave this place two stars, but they did provide us with a clean bed and a quiet night.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank roadtripperMaryland
Reviewed 25 January 2011

My mother, five sisters and I have been going to the Taghkanic Motel every President's weekend for 22 years. The current owners (Korean not Japanese) are a couple who are very sweet and eager to please. It is not modern but you can tell that from the road. We have always had a wonderful time there. Being frigid in February, we have always had enough heat, no problems with our showers and the beds are comfy. The diner across the street is terrific and the pizza place serves a decent meal also. During the summer, we rent a cottage for the week at nearby Lake Taghkanic and the overflow visitors stay at the motel. We are definitely loyal customers!

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with family
3  Thank Cranegirl55
Reviewed 19 October 2010

Well, I wanted a cheap, local motel close by my mother's place in Pine Plains, NY. The place is now owned by an older-middle aged Japanese couple who's command of the English language is a bit tenuous. Call them and see for yourself. That's okay... what wasn't okay, room 6, to the right of the owners home-office, a bathroom with no vents or windows... legal???... and a posting, two actually, on the walls of the shower that you need to turn the shower knob all the way to the left and leave it there for a while, then slowly to the right "a third of three". Yeah, right. It was glacially cold for about 10 minutes. Then increaingly hotter...like scalding and no adjustments would rectify this. I'm not sure if this is just this room, but...horrible! All for 95$ w/ tax. The pizza next door is pretty good though.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple