Taghkanic Motel
Average 3/5
The Barlow(Hudson)(Great Value!)
US$145
Very Good 4/5
Diamond Mills Hotel(Saugerties)(Great Value!)
US$475
Expedia
Wenton Motel(Saugerties)
US$88
  • Free Internet
US$144
Omega Institute(Rhinebeck)
  • Restaurant
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 15 November 2011

We ended up here on July 4th weekend after one place nearby was full, and two others looked too creepy. We got the last room, and they probably took a guess at what the highest price they could say was which would not make me leave.

This is the sort of place I would normally be thrilled with. It's a long 'log cabin' style building from 1955, with a neon-less 'MOTEL' sign on the roof. The setting was very tranquil, farm fields and hills, along with a great old diner and an ice cream/pizza place. Our room was very worn, and featured plentiful fake wood paneling. The bed was clean, but the mattress was a bit old. Our room did have a fridge, but the clock was a ridiculous piece of flea market garbage (black plastic Peterbilt cab, missing a wheel, with a cheap broken clock set into it). There were some other odd touches, like an old typewritten sheet informing you that you had a choice between channel 6 and 10. I'm pleased they left it up, since it put a smile on my face. The little TV did have cable, but it was a bizarre selection (every ESPN, all the shopping channels, no networks, a few random things like A&E). The little bathroom was clean enough, and had pink celluloid 'tile' with cornflower blue fixtures. No tub, just a shower.

If we had only paid what this place was worth, I would have been ecstatic. Because of the price, I almost gave this place two stars, but they did provide us with a clean bed and a quiet night.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank roadtripperMaryland
Reviewed 25 January 2011

My mother, five sisters and I have been going to the Taghkanic Motel every President's weekend for 22 years. The current owners (Korean not Japanese) are a couple who are very sweet and eager to please. It is not modern but you can tell that from the road. We have always had a wonderful time there. Being frigid in February, we have always had enough heat, no problems with our showers and the beds are comfy. The diner across the street is terrific and the pizza place serves a decent meal also. During the summer, we rent a cottage for the week at nearby Lake Taghkanic and the overflow visitors stay at the motel. We are definitely loyal customers!

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with family
3  Thank Cranegirl55
Reviewed 19 October 2010

Well, I wanted a cheap, local motel close by my mother's place in Pine Plains, NY. The place is now owned by an older-middle aged Japanese couple who's command of the English language is a bit tenuous. Call them and see for yourself. That's okay... what wasn't okay, room 6, to the right of the owners home-office, a bathroom with no vents or windows... legal???... and a posting, two actually, on the walls of the shower that you need to turn the shower knob all the way to the left and leave it there for a while, then slowly to the right "a third of three". Yeah, right. It was glacially cold for about 10 minutes. Then increaingly hotter...like scalding and no adjustments would rectify this. I'm not sure if this is just this room, but...horrible! All for 95$ w/ tax. The pizza next door is pretty good though.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple