See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 15 December 2013 via mobile

Whatever you do, do not stay here. 3 nights for us and it was just frustrating and annoying. The management, who are never around, has all but stopped maintenance of the hotel. Curtains in my room were torn, the safe didn't work, the TV had most channels showering and bad picture and I had to report my toilet to be fixed two of the three days we were there. The first room I was put in had no shower head and only one light worked; I was moved to another room whose shower head was removed to be 'decalcified' and never returned! We only ate breakfast in this hotel and everyday they were out of something on their menu. The chef can't even do a soft boiled egg! Despite asking to talk to the manager, she never ever showed up! Oh and by the way, the hotel is now called ROAD LODGE. It's overpriced and mediocre!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank EJM2005
Reviewed 27 September 2013

I was billeted here during a recent conference. On arrival, I found that the safe didn't work (I was later told that they were awaiting an engineer from Zimbabwe), the net curtain was badly torn (the receptionist said that they would see what they could do - though we both knew that nothing would happen) and the shower sprinkler head was missing. On the final day, when I had a query regarding the bill, the manager took a full hour to arrive, despite several times saying that she was on her way.
The good points: the bed was reasonably comfortable (though only one pillow had a pillow-case - not a problem in practice, but symptomatic of the run-down feel of the place), the reception staff were friendly and you can easily walk to the centre of Livingstone.
I opted for the healthy breakfast, the main constituent of which was muesli - but they had run out of muesli on the last two mornings of my stay.
It has recently been renamed as the Road Lodge.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank SM251
Reviewed 1 September 2013

Stayed 3 nights in the lodge. The room was clean but does require quite a bit of renovation. There were marks all over the walls and ceiling, probably from mosquitoes being killed. The was also some mold on the ceiling in the bathroom. The shower was great though. Our room was on the first floor, close to the reception area and the staff was very loud starting at 7 in the morning. Also, anything we asked, we got a dazed look back - wasn't much help from the front desk or the restaurant if we needed anything. Breakfast is very basic and gets old after day 2. The hotel has potential, but first needs to renovate.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank TravelNat8
Reviewed 23 February 2013

I stayed here one night for a business trip. Room was clean but not cosy, there was no carpet on the ground, people next room was very noisy and I could here them easily. My room was in the corner and no wireless internet signal in my room. I had to go to the tiny lobby. Even though it was not hot outside rooms were amazingly hot and I had to turn on air conditioner. I had one night without a problem. Room service was good. I asked for iron at 5 A.M. in the morning and they brought very quickly.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 August 2012

Cleanliness OK, spacious room (the furniture has some years but is well kept) and a really confortable big bed. But here the pros stop.

Cons:
It seemed to us the receptionists were there "for a mistake".
- They didn't help us to organize anything during our staying, because they didn't know anything about the possible activities one can do.
- We wanted to do a sunset cruise on the Zambesi, they didn't know where to phone, how to book, which cruise companies could offer the service (Note: The taxi drivers are really more efficient to organize and give a lot of tip and tricks)
- They said we could pay the hotel using the credit card, but the day of our departure something had happened to the credit card machine and the only effort the receptionist did to make it work was a look at it and her reply: "it doesn't work, go to withdraw the money and pay us in cash". Result: taxi paid by me to go to the cash machine and commissions on the withdraw, obviously paid by me.
- They discussed with the francisee of the website we used to book the hotel, about the price the franchisee had confirmed to us. They said the price was too low (... gosh, the price seemed too high to us, Livingstone is Very Expencive. At that price you have a luxury hotel room in South Africa.) They wanted to do photocopy of my printed emails with the franchisee! Their commercial relationship must not be a business of the customer.
- A receptionist should offer to call a taxi for the customer, in a place were taxis are the only safe way to move around. It's not in the case of our receptionists. We collected the mobile phone number of a taxi driver that we tried and considered reliable and we obliged the reception to call him for us.
- Last but not least, the restaurant of the hotel: the food was acceptable, but we ordered at 19:00 and our dinner arrived after 1 hour (there weren't other customers waiting for they orders before us). A group of about 15 people (staying at the hotel too) arrived just after us, ordered after 10 minutes. They were waiting their food we finished our dinner and their were really angry, arguing with the chef. In the kitchen, visible from the dining room, there were at least 3 persons doing something, but probably they didn't know exactely what they were doing!? We decided not to repeat the experience and the next evening we went to a real restaurant at the hotel on the other side of the street.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple