“Excellent Rug Shop”

Tribal Collections Nomadic Rugs and Textiles
Ranked #3 of 26 Shopping in Goreme
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Ruth Lockwood is the owner of Tribal Collections - a beautiful rug gallery in a restored cave house, in the village of Goreme, Cappadocia. Originally from NZ, and now with 30yrs of expertise in Turkey, her gallery has an established reputation for integrity and quality and is a leading choice for those looking to learn, or to acquire, a beautiful hand-woven rug, flat-woven kilim or tribal weaving. Ruth can help you navigate the stunning styles, intricate designs and rich color palettes to find the rug thats just 'right' for you and expresses your individuality. She buys at source and chooses each of her rugs personally so you can be assured of their quality & authenticity. You are welcome to spend time with her, browse and enjoy, or learn more about motifs, dyes and traditions that make every carpet unique.She has a wide-open door policy and fixed prices: making it easy for you to compare and importantly you know you are with a trusted professional who is passionate about rugs!
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access, Stairs / lift
Reviewed 2 May 2018 via mobile

Tribal Collections is the best rug shop in Goreme. Ruth the owner is friendly, informative and is not pushy for a sale like so many of the other rug shops. Ruth is patient and is happy to chat and explain the details of the various pieces that you might be interested in. Ruth creates a very "unpressured" shopping environment in a shop that has a wide variety of carpets, cushion covers, foot stools and much more. Ruth, thanks for your friendliness and patience.

rlockwood, Owner at Tribal Collections Nomadic Rugs and Textiles, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2018

Thank you Jason -it is always my pleasure to help people find that special carpet and kilim that works for them !I really appreciate your lovely review and you very kind words and hope that you will visit with us one day in the future

All reviews
"encyclopedic knowledge"
"special piece"
"intrepid travel"

Reviewed 2 May 2018

I'm so pleased this was included in my visit to the Cappadocia region. Ruth was so knowledgeable without being a pushy salesperson, the visit was a total pleasure.

Thank you so much for your kind words and review . It is very much appreciated and and I am delighted you enjoyed your visit with us .
Warmest Wishes and thanks again

Reviewed 2 May 2018

The visit to tribal collections was part of our Intrepid tour. Otherwise we would have missed this great experience. There was no "hard sell", in fact quite the opposite. The information class was about 45 min. In this time we got a very good idea about types of carpets, how and where they are made, along with how they are priced. The "no bargaining" aspect appealed to me, as it gave you a confident idea of what a carpet is worth. The two hours spent there in total was well worth it, even for the members of the tour who did not buy anything. We purchased two carpets, the shipping to Australia was quick (about 1 week) with no problems at all. The professionalism of the whole experience would give me no hesitation in giving this the highest recommendation.

Hi Chris ,
What a wonderful review - Thank you so much for your kind words.Your comments are very much appreciated and I am so happy that you enjoyed your time with us . I love the carpets you choose and hope they will always be a wonderful reminder of your time here in Turkey
We hope to see you again one day !

Reviewed 1 May 2018

We visited Cappadocia in April 2018 from Chicago and had a wonderful experience at this shop. Ruth ad her colleagues went the extra mile to show us all the options. We will definitely go back there and highly recommend it to others.

Thank you so much for your great review and your kind words. I am so happy you enoyed your carpet buying experience with us and we hope to see you again if you are back in Turkey.

See more reviews
Reviewed 13 April 2018 via mobile

Be warned, Ruth's passion for antique textiles is contagious! I'm finding myself becoming obsessed! I'm now on my third visit to Turkey, it's almost worth coming all the way just to see what new treasures they have managed to find at Tribal Collections. Hands down the best, most honest Carpet dealer in Cappadocia.

rlockwood, Owner at Tribal Collections Nomadic Rugs and Textiles, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2018

Thanks for such a great review Jack ! I have to say I am thrilled that you are finding the same passion that I have for carpets and kilims . Its a real joy to share this with you - what do they say ' addicts like compamy' :) and for me there is nothing more wonderful than sharing all of this with you . I so look forward to your next visit and when you get the time send me a pick of that wild cicim insitu - I would love that !
Huge thanks again